International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 PM
230 Tornado

Stalling issues

Need advice on stalling. About at the end of my rope with 80's carb.
'88 Wagoneer with 89k miles. Not easy to start cold without pumping petal. Once started and warmed up, will drive fine but stalls out when I come to a stop. Examples: driving and pull off road, will stall out. Sitting at stoplight, will stall out. Running in park will stall out. Doesn't choke out, just flat line.

All of this is SOMETIMES, not all the time. Especially bad today. Never misses a beat when I am on the gas, strong response, never hesitates or chokes. Only stalls out when I am coming to a stop or stopped. Hard to restart too.
Truck has new accelerator pump, fuel filter, air filter, air intake hose. Only adjustment was I increased idle thinking it was stalling because of that, but it continues to stall.

Battery is good, engine runs good,
I don't want to throw parts at it, and the only thing I can isolate is the deceleration or at a stop it happens.

Thoughts? I am about to throw in the towel.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM
350 Buick

have you checked fuel pump? float settings? when coming to a stop it just dies or stumbles a bit first then dies?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:42 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley-moeracing
have you checked fuel pump? float settings? when coming to a stop it just dies or stumbles a bit first then dies?

When coming to a stop it just dies, flat out, no stumble. Or like this morning, I had it warming up after starting it, and it ran for 5-6 min on choke, I hit the gas to stop the choke, it ran for another couple minutes then just died.

I am going to open up the fuel sender in the tank and see if the sock filter is dirty.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:50 AM
out of order

If it just shuts off usually an electrical/wiring/ignition problem.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:22 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
If it just shuts off usually an electrical/wiring/ignition problem.

Wouldn't it do that under any circumstances? When I am on the gas, it is fine, never issue until I am off gas coasting to stop or at a stop.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 PM
350 Buick

not unless the wiring harness is moving forward while braking and pulling or rubbing on something, could be that the float levels are very low and fuel pushes forward and uncovers jets but that should cause a stumble then die. it does sound like a contact or harness rubbed through.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:19 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
not unless the wiring harness is moving forward while braking and pulling or rubbing on something, could be that the float levels are very low and fuel pushes forward and uncovers jets but that should cause a stumble then die. it does sound like a contact or harness rubbed through.

Thanks for the info. I am still leaning towards fuel issue, as it will stall when just sitting still. Example yesterday, I started her up, ran choke for 5 min to warm, no issues. Kicked choke off, it ran for 2-3 min then stalled out, sitting still in driveway. Kinda tough to start back up.

Going to check the fuel sender sock to rule that out.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:48 AM
350 Buick

after it stalls out did you shoot some brake cleaner down carb and try to restart? if that does not work then you have a heat related ignition issue, pick up in distributor or coil.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:53 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

get a fuel pressure gauge, you should have at least 4psi, it will work as low at 2psi, but 4 to 6 is specs

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 PM

89,000 miles. Prolly time to rebuild the MC 2150 carb. Might try pulling the vacuum hose from the power valve and sniffing the hose. Should not smell like fuel. If it does, the power valve is leaking/shot. When you buy a rebuild kit insure the PV is included in the kit or buy one separately.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 PM
230 Tornado

Changed all fuel lines at the fuel take, and up top on the engine side, as well as replaced the fuel filter in the tank. Still stalls.

Replaced the coil. Still stalls.

Checked carb after it stalled, no fuel in it, but plenty of fuel when I push petal.

Next is the Distributor pick up sensor and the Ignition module.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:23 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa
Checked carb after it stalled, no fuel in it, but plenty of fuel when I push petal.

This is an acceptable fuel level, it could be a little higher

If the level is way at the 1/4 bottom, it will still push fuel thru the nozzle, but not enough to run the engine

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 01-23-2019, 05:48 PM
230 Tornado

Someone told me to go make sure my fuel filter was set correctly with the return line at 12 o'clock. Sure enough it was at 4 or 5 o'clock. Put it in the correct position last night and drove and let idle today a total of 2 hours. No Stalling. I want to believe that would be my remedy, but it seems way too easy...
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 AM
230 Tornado

Too good to be true, cranked up and ran her this morning, within 10 minutes of idling it shut off. Next step is the ignition control module, then pick up coil after that.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 AM
327 Rambler

Please don't buy a replacement ICM. I know "Motorcraft still sells them" -- but they're not made in the USA any longer, and not many folks trust them any more than the Duralast/whatever house brand modules you can find at your local box store.

The MSD 6A (or Street Fire, which is really all you would ever need for a rig like ours) is a great upgrade. Go ahead and do the large cap/TFI coil upgrade while you're at it. You'll be happy with the results, and ready for fuel injection when that day eventually comes.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
after it stalls out did you shoot some brake cleaner down carb and try to restart? if that does not work then you have a heat related ignition issue, pick up in distributor or coil.

I am thinking the heat related ignition issue or pick up. It only shuts off after it's warm and always at idle never when on the gas. What components are related to heat ignition issues?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 AM
350 Buick

coil, ignition pick up inside the distributor, ignition module and contacts/connectors expanding. Being it only does this at idle, the fan is not pulling a lot of air over the motor and that's when the engine area is the hottest. the distributor and coil sit on the engine in front and would most likely be subject to the extreme heat more than ignition module that's on the fender, this is a good place to start. pull all you connectors dealing with the ignition system apart and inspect the pins, if the pins are spread out and not tight, you can pinch them together to help make a good contact again. sometimes a pick and needle nose pliers help.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
coil, ignition pick up inside the distributor, ignition module and contacts/connectors expanding. Being it only does this at idle, the fan is not pulling a lot of air over the motor and that's when the engine area is the hottest. the distributor and coil sit on the engine in front and would most likely be subject to the extreme heat more than ignition module that's on the fender, this is a good place to start. pull all you connectors dealing with the ignition system apart and inspect the pins, if the pins are spread out and not tight, you can pinch them together to help make a good contact again. sometimes a pick and needle nose pliers help.

Ok will try that, thanks. It does stall when moving, only when off the accelerator coasting (driving down a hill when no gas petal needed) or coming to a stop, or at a stoplight or just sitting in driveway, never had it stall when on the gas driving ever.

Went out just now and it stalled twice while sitting in driveway. Came in let it cool off, and went out cranked it again and was using the voltmeter to watch the pulses off the coil to see what would happen if it cut off. Of course I stand there 45 min and it doesn't shut off.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:52 PM
327 Rambler

Have you checked the plugs on your distributor and coil? Made sure they're not coated in the "blue film of death?"
Old 01-24-2019, 04:22 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by acct21
Have you checked the plugs on your distributor and coil? Made sure they're not coated in the "blue film of death?"

I opened up the distributor cap today and it was kinda dirty and corroded around the screw that holds down the pick up coil. I cleaned it up, put it back together and it still stalled out. I have a new pick up coil inbound.

What is the blue film and will it be directly on the wire contact?