International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 01-02-2019, 04:10 AM
258 I6

very nice

I see in your last picture you have the relays in the gully on inner fender well , Maybe just sitting there but please do not mount there ,
1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty
Old 01-04-2019, 08:41 PM
304 AMC

Those are fuses and I have quite a few circuits going through them already so they are pretty much set. I think I will create a small drain underneath them, just to avoid puddling.
Today was a good day. I spent about an hour just going around re-making grounds all over my rig. Then I made sure all my factory circuits were working. Everything works! Woo Hoo! I even turned the key to bump the starter and it heard it engage. All my lights are nice and bright now since I rebuilt all my rounds.
The radio is not hooked up, I just put it in there so I can route wiring around it and my clock still doesn't work but it didn't work before I started. My dash never had a radio since I bought it and it sure is nice not looking at a hole anymore. My backup lights work now (they didn't before). I also wired up the CS144 except for the charge light; I have the wire going into the cab for the charge light, just haven't hooked it up yet. I also made a 1ga charge wire for it! haha! It's huge but I had the cable and end lugs so I just used them. Then I spent a solid hour digging through my magic bolt box looking for a nut that fit the charge post on the alternator.
Fan is wired up. I am using the BMW dual temp switch, to a Volvo fan relay, to a dual speed fan.
Last, I cut my relay bracket in half, made a couple stands for it and mounted them over where my Duraspark was. None of them are hooked up yet, but that's where they'll be.

09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 01-08-2019, 06:32 PM
304 AMC

Last night I made a handy little bracket for my MAP sensor and EGR solenoid out of the stock GM bracket. This one is MUCH smaller and mounts the MAP sensor below the air cleaner and fairly close to the MAP sensor port on the throttle body. I also welded the O2 sensor bung to my driver header flange. Lastly I finished plumbing my Trans cooler. I did not install a sender for my trans temp gauge or the temp switch for the trans cooler fan because I am already into it $40 in brass fittings just getting that bastard hooked up. Going from the stock 3/8's double flare on the cooler lines, to 1/2" barbs was almost $30 in itself. Once it's running/driving and the weather picks up, I'll dump another $30 in brass fittings to get the sender and switch in. Annoyed.

I think I have everything I need to fire up, now. Hopefully I can do my rough EFI wiring tonight/tomorrow and break my cam in on Thursday night. Cross your fingers, all!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:28 PM
304 AMC

Last night I roughed in my EFI harness. "Roughed in" meaning I hooked almost everything up but did not trim/route wires efficiently; extra wire length is coiled up next to their end point. I plan to start the engine/break in cam with a single wire O2 sensor so I installed that. Once I break in the cam I will replace the single wire sensor with a 4 wire sensor. I energized my fuel pump for the first time last night and was stoked to hear it push fuel through my throttle body and back down to the tank. Good news: only 1 leak (from around one injector). Bad news: my fuel pressure gauge did not budge. I know I had pressure because it was flowing and I had leaks. I have a spare injector pod that still has the factory pressure regulator in it and a fuel pressure gauge so I am going to install that for cam break in. I also added power steering fluid to watch for leaks. While I was under my truck wiring, I noticed I only installed 2 of the block drain plugs. Glad I didn't start filling the cooling system!

I thought I had mounted everything but realized I didn't mount the ignition control module (8 pin). Sigh. Another bracket to build and item to mount somewhere. I am also undecided if I keep my nifty Jacobs coil or run the GM coil. Any advice?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM
350 Buick

All good stuff!
Can hardly wait to see this when you guys come up to Wrightwood in it!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:18 PM
304 AMC

Me tooooooo!!!!! The drive up there is one of my favorites in my Mazda. It'll be super fun in this with all my new (hopefully) torque!

I also just bought a better grill. Mine is in pretty bad shape. The one I bought is in much better shape and should look much nicer. I will black it out the same as before but this time it will be gloss black and flat charcoal for a little more contrast.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:44 AM
304 AMC

This weekend I found a cool bracket for a GM TBI coil that had a big ol' wing looking end on it. I was able to bend that wing at a 90 degree angle and mount my ignition module on it, then I mounted that to the stock coil bracket location. It looks pretty good there. Then I spent a few hours soldering in wires, relays, etc. I think I am wired up. Check engine light comes on with the key but my fuel pump does not (it should). I have power at my injectors (with the key on). etc. My engine bay is a total rats nest right now because all the wires are sooooo long. Once I break in my cam and verify everything works, it'll all get cleaned up.

I added distilled water to my cooling system and found 2 leaks. First one was the upper radiator hose was a little cocked on the rad and the hose clamp was not tight enough. that was a 30 second fix. The one leak was at my fan switch, that I mounted in my TStat housing. I torqued it a little and SNAP! broke it off. Awesome. Ordered a new TStat housing, it gets here tomorrow. I will use my computer to trigger my fan. For Cam break in, i'll just jumper the fan for now.

This week, we have a big project going on at church and I am helping polish the concrete floors so I am not sure how much time I have to tinker. I need to troubleshoot my Fuel pump relay, learn ProTuner, and do my final pin-out verification on my computer. Getting close to turning the key!!!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:44 PM
232 I6

Man Marc! This build is amazing, I finally got through it all!
Your engine looks beautiful, I cant wait to get mine going (will post later today) but had to get to the end of yours since i was so close.
You have done alot of amazing work, really has inspired me to keep going on mine even when things get tough! Thanks!

Side note, where did you get the AMC engine blue paint? Or is it a custom mix, I was already planning on doing the opposite of yours (black block and blue valve covers and intake.) I also love that blue it looks great!

Keep up the momentum cant wait to see it finished!

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 PM
304 AMC

thanks for the kind words!

It's this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
its super awesome spray paint, too. Lays down really nice, covers really well, goes a long way.

dang it! forgot to mail your clock. I'll get it out this week.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:35 PM
out of order

Be sure you use a real heat sink w/ thermal paste for module mounting.
Old pentium processor heatsinks work very well.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
thanks for the kind words!

It's this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
its super awesome spray paint, too. Lays down really nice, covers really well, goes a long way.

dang it! forgot to mail your clock. I'll get it out this week.

Thanks! No rush I have alot of other things to work on.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:25 PM
304 AMC

It started tonight!!!!

So to catch up, I had some issues getting it to fire. See this thread:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...41#post1701041

Once it did fire, I brought it up to 2000-2200 RPM and used feeler gauges in the throttle body (between the idle set screw and the throttle arm) to keep it there. I mounted my tach on my master cylinder so I could watch it as I tended to my engine. It had an ear piercing squeal for the first about 2 minutes; I think it was my Alternator. I am fairly certain my alt did not work at all. Engine came up to operating temp fairly quickly, then I noticed I forgot to turn on my fan. I jumpered my Fan to come on and it ran at 2200 RPM for about 14 minutes, then start to sputter a little. I checked my voltage gauge and it was at about 11.5 volts. I tried to baby it a little longer and it ran until about 16 minutes, then the battery was just too dead to keep it going. It is sitting on the charger tonight so tomorrow after church, I'll fire it up again and let it run at 2000RPM for another about 10 minutes just to make up for the 5 or so minutes I lost tonight.

I didn't have a chance to really mess with it much. I was freaking out just trying to keep it going. Hopefully tomorrow I can see if it will idle and how it sounds when I rev it. A lot of work needs to happen before I can drive it but at least it ran! I also didn't notice any trans fluid leaking out of my cooler lines (I expected it would). For anyone reading this in the future I cannot agree with this more:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
Borrow/buy used one [carb] and sell when done?
Need to make sure it fires and runs good for the cam break in.
Any gremlins in TBI and you risk damage to your nice new engine.
I Sooooooooooooo wish I didn't have to sweat all this wiring. I wish I would have kept my carb, Duraspark, and stock wiring until I broke in my cam.

That was absolutely stressful. I had one oil leak to fix while it was running (my passenger valve cover was not torqued down all the way) and I need a better heat sink for my ignition module. I have another heat seat but it's pretty big and obnoxious so I may need to trim it down a little. Once the cam is broken in, I am going to start cleaning up the wiring.

Also, babywag, more ammo for loving the bulltear serpentine kit: It is all but impossible to see the timing marks from the engine bay. I found the only way I could check the timing was from underneath. Fun.

I did take a quick video while it was running and uploaded it to my google drive. I'll try a couple different ways to see if it posts here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eL4...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eL4...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-20-2019, 12:27 AM
304 AMC

Nice! I bet you sleep good tonight.

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 01-20-2019, 06:22 AM
350 Buick

I watched the video, like 30 times! That is so exciting. I got a rash just from seeing the wiring laying everywhere. Serpentine system is a nice upgrade.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:26 AM
out of order

COOL!

You MUST use a good heatsink on ignition module or it'll die.

Were you able to monitor data while it was running?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:37 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
... I got a rash just from seeing the wiring laying everywhere. Serpentine system is a nice upgrade.
The wires are awful right now but I didn't want to spend a bunch of time getting them all the right length and routed well only to have to tear into them again. I wanted to make sure it "worked" before final install.

The serpentine system is novel but I regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
...You MUST use a good heatsink on ignition module or it'll die.

Were you able to monitor data while it was running?
I bought a heat sink at Frys that was the perfect size, looked great on there and I assumed it would be "good enough". It was not; I vastly underestimated the heat that is produced there. I have another heatsink from an old computer I am going to trim down and make it fit because it will be much better suited to cool it. I have a spare module I will keep in the back with my tools, too.

Nope. I couldn't figure out the interface and didn't want to screw anything up by messing with it. I knew it was close enough to run and the computer worked so I just ran with it. It all added to my stress. Honestly, the stress of all this took away most of the feeling of success when it fired. I feel good that it ran but was worried the whole time I was going to overheat, break something, spew fluids, flatten a lobe, etc.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 AM
out of order

If you have ? just txt or call me...I sent my # via PM
Old 01-20-2019, 10:59 AM
232 I6

Yah hooo! Congrats on the engine running! Feel bad it was so stressful but still a amazing achievement!

Soon to be a 401!
Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 PM
232 I6

Awesome!....... happy dance.. You will be hitting the trails soon.... don
1965 mustang fastback
1972 international travelette
Yes I have a problem that’s why Iam here
Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 PM
232 I6

Awesome!....... happy dance.. You will be hitting the trails soon.... don’t forget to let me know,
I want to be there!
1965 mustang fastback
1972 international travelette
Yes I have a problem that’s why Iam here