• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zorm
    304 AMC
    • Apr 08, 1997

th400 transfer case options

Picked up a 78 Cherokee Chief with the th400 and quadratrac, would there be a Chevy transfer case that would mate to the jeep th400?

thanks
    83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Nothing without an adapter and different output shaft. The QT is a majestic unicorn, unique among the rest of the beasts.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
      350 Buick
      • Feb 15, 2010

Yes, he is correct, I am working on this now on a project I have, amc turbo 400 and a dodge 241 transfer case, p.s. drop, found an adapter that will work that is inexpensive but requires the trans to be rebuilt with a chevy output. I do like the quardratrac a lot but wanted to try something different.

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

AMC ran the Jeep D20 behind the th400 before the Qt came along. The JeepD20 also required a factory adapter and a different output shaft on the trans. If you go D20 I suggest using Novaks alum adapter. Much better design than the factory cast iron version. Also if you score a Jeep D20 make sure it came from behind a th400. D20's use different bull gears for manual and AT's. Run the p/n on the bull gear through Novaks web site to know for sure. Mismatched they're pretty close and will still fit together but the tooth pitch is different so wear/longevity is compromised.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Zorm
          304 AMC
          • Apr 08, 1997

ok, thanks gents
          83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

• Crankyolman
            350 Buick
            • Sep 27, 2017

Now maybe I'm being dumb here so correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Chevrolet at some point use the TH400 in some of their 4wd setups? I know it would require changing the output shaft and adapter but you have to do that anyway if you change the TC and aren't all TH400 essentially the same internally (only minor differences) regardless of the bellhousing bolt pattern?
            '72 J4500

Comment

Originally posted by Crankyolman
              Now maybe I'm being dumb here so correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Chevrolet at some point use the TH400 in some of their 4wd setups? I know it would require changing the output shaft and adapter but you have to do that anyway if you change the TC and aren't all TH400 essentially the same internally (only minor differences) regardless of the bellhousing bolt pattern?
              Yup, you can grab any standard GM TH400 will work as a donor, the guts are all the same. You can swap the tail shaft and factory adapter to the AMC case.

aa
              1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Crankyolman
                350 Buick
                • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by Cecil14
                Yup, you can grab any standard GM TH400 will work as a donor, the guts are all the same. You can swap the tail shaft and factory adapter to the AMC case.

aa
                That's what I thought... so the actual answer to the OPs question
                Originally posted by Zorm
                Picked up a 78 Cherokee Chief with the th400 and quadratrac, would there be a Chevy transfer case that would mate to the jeep th400?
                is yes provided you get the transfer case and donor trans out of a GM truck and swap the tail shaft.

While that may not be the easiest or cheapest solution it would seem there are several options as far as possible tranfer case options. Speaking of expense, the Novak adapters alone run over $500 so that's not exactly a "cheap" option.

That said, Novak Has adapters for many different transfer cases giving even more options. https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...case/th400-to/
                Last edited by Crankyolman; 01-09-2019, 06:52 PM.
                '72 J4500

Comment

Yes, adapter and tail shaft. It's a factory adapter, but still an adapter nonetheless.

aa

Comment

• cu4whln
                    304 AMC
                    • May 16, 2008

Hmm, is it the Q-trac reliability that has you concerned?

Why not install a "Part Time" kit in it? Basically makes it into a normal part time unit.

That way no fancy adaptors or propshaft changes are required. I have this set up in my 77 Chief.

Just a thought . .
                    It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                    1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                    1972 J4000
                    1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                    2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                    2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by cu4whln
                      Hmm, is it the Q-trac reliability that has you concerned?

Why not install a "Part Time" kit in it? Basically makes it into a normal part time unit.

That way no fancy adaptors or propshaft changes are required. I have this set up in my 77 Chief.

Just a thought . .
                      I agree. it it ain't broke, don't fix it. The part time kits are a lot less $$ than swapping a case. Parts for QTs are getting expensive but they are out there (just check ebay).

Also, if your case is part time, you eliminate a lot of the (expensive) wearable items. When you swap a case expect to have issues like Speedo hookup, new/modified driveshafts, possibly a new cross member, possibly re-routing exhaust, and you have to figure out a shifter, too.
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

The only real issue with the P/T QTs is still the chain. Even with a part time conversion, both outputs are driven by the chain (front obviously only in 4wd). This still leads to chain stretch and replacement, though certainly less frequently than without the P/T kit.

aa

Comment

Working...
                        X