• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClarkstonGT
    232 I6
    • Apr 09, 2000

Intermittent Module

I asked this question before, but didn't really get any responses. Where is the intermittent module, and how do I trouble shoot it? My wipers currently work in both high and low, but the intermittent function does not. JW Jeep wants $35 for the module, but I would like to play with it before I order. Also, I found a boneyard with a GW in it in Atlanta, so I may choose to try and scavange the module myself. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Puslinch
    232 I6
    • Apr 22, 2000

Same here, the module is kaput on my 90 GW. I get slow, fast and one preset intermittent wiper speed.
    ---------------<br />Puslinch<br />90 Grand Wagoneer<br />Holley Projection 2DI

Comment

The module is located about 8" from your wiper motor switch. Follow the wires coming from the wiper switch and there will be a connector with a square black box about 2" by 2" thats your wiper module. Or at least thats where mine is located on my 79 Wagon. As far as troubleshooting I dont know havent had to mess with my yet. I personally would get one at a junk yard and swap it out, and see fixes the problem.

------------------
      Dave
      79 Wagoneer
      "BOHICA"

Comment

• SaggyWaggy
        230 Tornado
        • Apr 16, 2000

I had the same problem with my wag, but it got worse and worse until the wipers stopped working alltogether. I replaced the wiper motor and everything works great. FYI- I found 3 FS cherokees at the Pull-A-P*rt on Buford Hwy. They were pretty picked over but they might have the wiper modules too. Just a place to look. Good Luck!

Comment

• ClarkstonGT
          232 I6
          • Apr 09, 2000

Actually, I found the Cherokees at that Pull-A-Part day before yesterday. I got my door lock spring there. FYI, R&R Autoparts about a half a mile down Buford Hwy from Pull-A-Part has an older Wagoneer and an '84 GW. The GW is mostly intact, including the engine and interior. I couln't find the intermittent module, but I may go back and look again.

Comment

• ClarkstonGT
            232 I6
            • Apr 09, 2000

OK, I'm still having trouble with this intermittent module thingy. Is this device located inside the cab under the dash, or on the firewall inside the engine compartment. My wiper control is on the multi-function stalk on the steering column. The closest thing I can find is a blue box about 2" X 2" just beneath the fuse box under the dash. It has several male plugs on one side that plug into a receptacle. Is that it? If not, where should I look. The manual is of no use. Sorry to be such a bother with this topic.

Comment

Sorry didnt know what year you had. On my 79 the wiper switch is on the dash, and the module is mounted under the dash ,the connecter and harness isnt long enough to reach the firewall. My module is black and it has two screws holding the cover on it. The connector that plugs into the switch on mine, has ten wires, six of them go to the module and the other four go to a connector that plugs into the wiring harness under the dash. It also has a part number on the module. Ill post the number on it and look at my wiring diagram when I get home from work, and find out what color the wires on the module are. No bother, just trying to help you out.

------------------
              Dave
              79 Wagoneer
              "BOHICA"

Comment

So much for going off of memory, I went out and looked my wiper switch has 7 wires not 10 and 3 wires go into the module & 3 come out of it(red, blk, blk/vio). The numbers off my module are 8Z, SF 3714496, 260 8M20A. And heres what the wiring diagrams had to say.

1980 to 1985
                WIRES FROM WIPER SWITCH CONN.
                red/blk goes to fuse box
                pink goes into module
                dk blue/wht goes into module
                blk/wht goes into module
                wht goes to module
                red/wht spliced into pink wire coming out of module
                red/blk goes to washer pump

WIRES FROM WIPER MODULE
                blu/blk goes to wht wiper motor wire
                dark blu/white goes to blue wiper motor wire
                blk/wht goes to blk wiper motor wire
                pink goes to red wire on wiper motor

1986 to 1991
                WIRES FROM WIPER SWITCH CONN.
                yel to module
                gry to module
                dark green to module
                violet to module
                brn to module
                wht to module
                pnk to module

WIRES FROM WIPER MODULE
                blk to ground
                pnk/org to wht wiper motor wire
                blu/yel to blue wiper motor wire
                tan/red to blk wiper motor wire
                vio/wht to vio washer motor
                light grn/blk to fuse box

red wire on wiper motor conn. goes to light green wire that goes to fuse box.

Just trace the wires at the connector on your steering column (should be on rt. side of column under dash) and follow one of the wires listed above and it will lead you to the module. Good luck.

------------------
                Dave
                79 Wagoneer
                "BOHICA"

Comment

• JERRY88GW
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 09, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The closest thing I can find
                  is a blue box about 2" X 2" just beneath the fuse box under the dash.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  That blue box is your chime. You know, the chime that goes off when you leave your lights on and turn your ignition off.

[This message has been edited by JERRY88GW (edited August 04, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                  X