• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WeBeCinYa
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 24, 2018

Stalling issues

Need advice on stalling. About at the end of my rope with 80's carb.
    '88 Wagoneer with 89k miles. Not easy to start cold without pumping petal. Once started and warmed up, will drive fine but stalls out when I come to a stop. Examples: driving and pull off road, will stall out. Sitting at stoplight, will stall out. Running in park will stall out. Doesn't choke out, just flat line.

All of this is SOMETIMES, not all the time. Especially bad today. Never misses a beat when I am on the gas, strong response, never hesitates or chokes. Only stalls out when I am coming to a stop or stopped. Hard to restart too.
    Truck has new accelerator pump, fuel filter, air filter, air intake hose. Only adjustment was I increased idle thinking it was stalling because of that, but it continues to stall.

Battery is good, engine runs good,
    I don't want to throw parts at it, and the only thing I can isolate is the deceleration or at a stop it happens.

Thoughts? I am about to throw in the towel.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

have you checked fuel pump? float settings? when coming to a stop it just dies or stumbles a bit first then dies?

Comment

• WeBeCinYa
      230 Tornado
      • Oct 24, 2018

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
      have you checked fuel pump? float settings? when coming to a stop it just dies or stumbles a bit first then dies?
      When coming to a stop it just dies, flat out, no stumble. Or like this morning, I had it warming up after starting it, and it ran for 5-6 min on choke, I hit the gas to stop the choke, it ran for another couple minutes then just died.

I am going to open up the fuel sender in the tank and see if the sock filter is dirty.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

If it just shuts off usually an electrical/wiring/ignition problem.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• WeBeCinYa
          230 Tornado
          • Oct 24, 2018

Originally posted by babywag
          If it just shuts off usually an electrical/wiring/ignition problem.
          Wouldn't it do that under any circumstances? When I am on the gas, it is fine, never issue until I am off gas coasting to stop or at a stop.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

not unless the wiring harness is moving forward while braking and pulling or rubbing on something, could be that the float levels are very low and fuel pushes forward and uncovers jets but that should cause a stumble then die. it does sound like a contact or harness rubbed through.

Comment

• WeBeCinYa
              230 Tornado
              • Oct 24, 2018

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
              not unless the wiring harness is moving forward while braking and pulling or rubbing on something, could be that the float levels are very low and fuel pushes forward and uncovers jets but that should cause a stumble then die. it does sound like a contact or harness rubbed through.
              Thanks for the info. I am still leaning towards fuel issue, as it will stall when just sitting still. Example yesterday, I started her up, ran choke for 5 min to warm, no issues. Kicked choke off, it ran for 2-3 min then stalled out, sitting still in driveway. Kinda tough to start back up.

Going to check the fuel sender sock to rule that out.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

after it stalls out did you shoot some brake cleaner down carb and try to restart? if that does not work then you have a heat related ignition issue, pick up in distributor or coil.

Comment

• letank
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 03, 2002

get a fuel pressure gauge, you should have at least 4psi, it will work as low at 2psi, but 4 to 6 is specs
                  Michel
                  74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                  85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• joe
                    • Apr 28, 2000

89,000 miles. Prolly time to rebuild the MC 2150 carb. Might try pulling the vacuum hose from the power valve and sniffing the hose. Should not smell like fuel. If it does, the power valve is leaking/shot. When you buy a rebuild kit insure the PV is included in the kit or buy one separately.
                    joe
                    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• WeBeCinYa
                      230 Tornado
                      • Oct 24, 2018

Changed all fuel lines at the fuel take, and up top on the engine side, as well as replaced the fuel filter in the tank. Still stalls.

Replaced the coil. Still stalls.

Checked carb after it stalled, no fuel in it, but plenty of fuel when I push petal.

Next is the Distributor pick up sensor and the Ignition module.

Comment

• letank
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by WeBeCinYa
                        Checked carb after it stalled, no fuel in it, but plenty of fuel when I push petal.

This is an acceptable fuel level, it could be a little higher

If the level is way at the 1/4 bottom, it will still push fuel thru the nozzle, but not enough to run the engine
                        Michel
                        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• WeBeCinYa
                          230 Tornado
                          • Oct 24, 2018

Someone told me to go make sure my fuel filter was set correctly with the return line at 12 o'clock. Sure enough it was at 4 or 5 o'clock. Put it in the correct position last night and drove and let idle today a total of 2 hours. No Stalling. I want to believe that would be my remedy, but it seems way too easy...

Comment

• WeBeCinYa
                            230 Tornado
                            • Oct 24, 2018

Too good to be true, cranked up and ran her this morning, within 10 minutes of idling it shut off. Next step is the ignition control module, then pick up coil after that.

Comment

• acct21
                              327 Rambler
                              • May 20, 2014

Please don't buy a replacement ICM. I know "Motorcraft still sells them" -- but they're not made in the USA any longer, and not many folks trust them any more than the Duralast/whatever house brand modules you can find at your local box store.

The MSD 6A (or Street Fire, which is really all you would ever need for a rig like ours) is a great upgrade. Go ahead and do the large cap/TFI coil upgrade while you're at it. You'll be happy with the results, and ready for fuel injection when that day eventually comes.
                              1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

Working...
                              X