International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-24-2020, 08:03 AM
230 Tornado

setting up distributor

I have searched, but did not find answer to my question -- so need some help. I am looking to static time my 360 engine. If I look at the engraved line on the crank pulley, should I line it up at the TDC mark or should I line it up at maybe 10 degrees BTDC?

Once I am on the "line setting" I need to set the distributor in the engine such that the rotor is pointing to number 1 cylinder. My second question is: does the crank go around twice per full combustion cycle - so if I am not mindful I can set the distributor up 180 degrees out of sync?

Assuming this is correct, is the old approach of finger over number 1 spark plug hole testing for pressure on compression stroke the best method to know that this will then be flagging when the piston is approaching TDC on the crank pulley?

Thanks for help -

Bob
Old 05-26-2020, 11:26 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrandwag
I have searched, but did not find answer to my question -- so need some help. I am looking to static time my 360 engine. If I look at the engraved line on the crank pulley, should I line it up at the TDC mark or should I line it up at maybe 10 degrees BTDC?
Book says line it up at TDC.

Quote:
Once I am on the "line setting" I need to set the distributor in the engine such that the rotor is pointing to number 1 cylinder. My second question is: does the crank go around twice per full combustion cycle - so if I am not mindful I can set the distributor up 180 degrees out of sync?
Yes, that's exactly right. The book suggests turning the distributor rotor about 1/8 turn counterclockwise before inserting the distributor so that it is pointing at the #1 terminal when the distributor housing is fully inserted and correctly positioned, because the rotor rotates clockwise on the camshaft's drive gear as you drop it in. You may also need to rotate the oil pump shaft a little with a long screwdriver to get everything to line up correctly.

Quote:
Assuming this is correct, is the old approach of finger over number 1 spark plug hole testing for pressure on compression stroke the best method to know that this will then be flagging when the piston is approaching TDC on the crank pulley?
That's the approach the book recommends, and probably as good as any.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.