International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 12-06-2019, 10:56 AM
350 Buick

CONGRATS On getting married.

I just followed this build for the last couple months

did not know it was a young "whipper snapper" who owned the truck

not old like me,.... (49).

when I saw someones comment of, "most people would have scrapped it",....

I had to go back to page one,.....

WOW,......a lot of work, done,..... really well.

love your dog "TUCK" he is so cool.

glad you are driving the truck.

best wishes for a long happy ever after for the whole gang, truck included.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC

Last edited by SOLSAKS : 12-06-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:09 PM
304 AMC

Well I'll be... Look at you two. Three really with the truck. First off congratulations on getting married. Life together will be a joy. With up's and down's and fantastic discoveries all along the way. I brought Liz over to read your posting and to see the picture of you two. We both fully understand the journey and memories you have been making from the start of your build thread. I personally fully understand and appreciate the sentiment you offer in your posting. While I am sad this very enjoyable build thread has a conclusion, I can say that I am extremely grateful that I had the opportunity to get to know a truly outstanding person. Don't go away Greg. We need you here. So don't be a stranger. May your and Elizabeth's future be filled with happiness together.

Thank you for posting.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 12-09-2019, 08:04 AM
327 Rambler

very cool wedding gift

Thought I'd share this with you all as I think you'll appreciate it. My friend Eddie gave me these for a wedding gift, super cool. Just gotta find some wall space for them now!

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 12-09-2019, 09:36 AM
232 I6

Congrats to you and the Mrs. on your nuptials! Congrats too on a fine looking truck made awesome by your hard work and hands!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 12-09-2019, 10:50 AM
258 I6

Congratulations!!!
Man that truck looks so good! It is really something special to have a vehical you built be the drive away rig. My wife and I did that with the Wedding Wagon (granted it DID NOT look as good as yours did by any means) and we are all the happier for it.

Truly, congratulation to you and your wife!

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 PM
304 AMC

Well Eddie is obviously a cool guy to do that. The finish picture could be a Hallmark card. No kidding!

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 12-11-2019, 03:49 PM
258 I6

I showed your post to my wife last night, it made her cry...in a good way.

Congratulations on getting married. I hope she's a good one, they are awfully hard to find but it sounds like you managed
Old 12-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Administrator

What an epic end to an epic build! Getting married was the second best decision I (we) have ever made.

Keep posting your updates on here. Like, if you guys do a fun little get away in it (see Wagoneer Taylor's example), post up a story. We all love that stuff! Motivates us to keep going.

Congrats on your wedding! Wish a bunch of us could have shown up with FSJs to make a FSJ grilled receiving line as you left the ceremony! that would be awesome!

Rhino, razor, razor, muscle, rhino, Cheese grater, razor, pignose, pignose, razor, boobie! Lights flashing, horns honking, You guys driving by. Then again, the chance of getting that many FSJs running at one time is probably worse than the chance of you winning the lottery and getting struck by lightening on the same day.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 12-12-2019, 05:26 AM
232 I6

Hope you 2 have a life time of happiness.

I have followed this thread from the start also cause it was started about the time I finally joined on here and it was a cool old truck. I must confess, at first I thought you had a bit more work than you thought and was hoping you wouldn't get discouraged doing it. Kudos to you in a big way for sticking with it and doing it your way. You've been a busy fella the last couple years.

I don't think we build these things to be perfect in other people's eyes, I believe we build them to be perfect for what we want our self. You done a heck of a job and thanks for sharing it.
2003 Durango 4x4
1982 CJ7 4 banger
2008 MB E320 Bluetec
Old 12-12-2019, 09:48 AM
327 Rambler

Really appreciate the kind words and congratulations from you guys. Rang, that would have been a pretty epic wedding sendoff!

Started working on one of my detail items yesterday, got the two door panels covered in some camel vinyl I'd sourced. I think I'm going to end up using a vinyl-specific paint on all the panels as well as the trim clips and some visors I found (and need to modify, of course) in order to get a good match between all the components. The door panels are plain jane, but came out great, imo. Some day, I may re-do these with a pleated material, but I really just wanted a little more finished look for the interior. Additionally, having the door panels on the inside of the doors also reduced cab noise a little, althought it's still plenty loud, lol.

These, by the way, are the ABS panels that Men In Black sells on here. I highly recommend them to anyone needing new ones.

I'll be covering the headliner pieces over the next few days and posting pictures of these as well. No rest for the wicked! Busy days ahead!

Old 12-13-2019, 09:10 AM
350 Buick

NICE !!!
dash looks great.

love those saddle blanket seat covers,
and the color is right for your truck.

probably the coolest truck in town.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 12-13-2019, 10:02 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
NICE !!!
dash looks great.

love those saddle blanket seat covers,
and the color is right for your truck.

probably the coolest truck in town.

dave in NC

Dave, most days, I'm pretty much shocked that this truck came together as such a cohesive looking project. So much of it has been eyeballed and "I think that'll look good" aesthetically. It's turned into quite the looker though.

Last weekend, I also adjusted the clutch and steering box. The clutch was essentially being depressed even with the pedal all the way out, probably my fault, so I adjusted it to factory spec. I also removed the steering gear play per the service manual. I still have about 10 degrees of play in either direction driving in a straight line, but that's a HUGE reduction from before. Clutch lets out much much smoother than it used to also.

Has anyone noticed that I've never mentioned the condition of the diffs? Well that's because I've been sticking my head in the sand about them. Time to crack open the old Spicer 44's and see what's what. I'm getting some seepage from the gaskets anyway, so they warrant replacing.

I've got a drivability question. The truck currently has 4.27 gears in it but and can cruise at a relatively comfortable 55-60 all day long it seems. Has some grunt to go faster, but the 230 just doesn't have the revrange for it. I've thought about getting some 3.54's to give me highway legs, but not sure if this would make it unbearable around town. Maybe a 3.91 would be a good compromise? Just trying to give the engine a breather when I take the highways and would also like to be able to take the occasional jaunt down the interstate...

Old 12-13-2019, 01:20 PM
232 I6

What rpms are you at now at 60?

If your current low gear is almost unusable due to being geared to low for normal driving, a better road gear is a good choice. 3.54 might be a little to much especially with taller than stock tires. And I think the carrier break on changing ring and pinions is about 3.73 I believe for a Dana 44. 3.54 will require new carriers. 3.73 would be good all around gear IMO especially with no heavy hauling planned.

Newer axle swap is a good choice also. All depends on your choice to keep original axles or not.
2003 Durango 4x4
1982 CJ7 4 banger
2008 MB E320 Bluetec
Old 12-13-2019, 11:23 PM
258 I6

Now granted I have an AMC 360 in mine but I have 3.73 gearing and it's just about right for me. If I remember correctly 70 MPH is 3000 RPM and it has plenty of pull.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:24 PM
232 I6

I have 4.09s in my Glad, 1:1 4th gear 2850 rpm for 60 mph, quite high, but lots of power.

Big hills here and don't have to downshift, with a very tired 327

Cant wait to see the power this spring with a freshly built one
Old 01-09-2020, 01:31 PM
327 Rambler

more pictures from the wedding

Hey guys and gals! Not a whole lot of photo-worthy progress on the little things here and there... But...

I felt like these pictures were too good not to share. A happy day indeed!

I AM almost done with the harnesses I'm putting together for the 4wd indicator lights. I'll be sure to post part numbers for the switches and pigtails for anybody looking to re-do this for a Dana 20. I got the lights themselves cleaned up pretty well, good enough for me at least...

Now I know what you might be thinking... "My indicator lights have a 4 wheel drive and a neutral light, but no 4 wd low," and you'd be correct. Apparently you could get any number of these lights between 1 and 4 and they had a 4-hi, 4-low, neutral and 2-hi option. They could be configured based on which shift rail was used on the D20. When I took mine out, the colored lenses were burnt up and melted and dirty and I thought I had a green one and a red one, so I made the 4-low switch. It turns out it was really just a burnt and dirty orange one, for neutral. So Now I've got the switches set up on the transfer case and the wiring is all done, but I have to make another lens with the neutral. Debating on whether to just make it on a red lens or do it correctly on an amber lens. I think I'm just going to do it on a red lens as it's more just to satisfy me that I have a working circuit.

I'm also going to be making a bracket to get so I can mount a little instantaneous switch to my reverse/1st rail and have a reverse light. I still haven't brought the truck for it's official inspection ("brake tag" as we say, for some reason in Louisiana...) and as it wasn't equipped with it, it should be grandfathered in, but if you've had any experience with my OMV, you understand why I'm not taking any chances... More on that soon!

Old 01-09-2020, 03:03 PM
350 Buick

really nice wedding photo !

nice indicator lights too !

I am not familiar with the older fsj trucks

but I do like those lights !!!

you have done a great job
and the truck and wedding came together and the same time !

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 01-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Administrator

That's awesome!!! thanks for sharing! Gonna show my better half when I get home.

Let's get mechanical about that picture:
1) assuming each person standing in your bed averages out to a svelte 200 pounds, that's ~1800 pounds of meat and bone in there! Good thing you didn't decide to build a Chevy Luv, Subie BRAT, or one of those FWD VW Pickups from the 80's!
2) your rear tire fits PERFECTLY in your fender, assuming the suspension is completely compressed! look how perfectly centered it is in the rear fender. Take pride in knowing those are your measurements and you nailed them.
3) Even with all that meat and bone in the bed, your truck still has a sweet stance!
4) Tell the dude on the far left to quit leaning on yo cab. He's gonna scuff the paint!

Good idea on the backup lights. Even if we didn't have to have back up lights, you really want them. I had an old chevy pickup in High school that had no back up lights. It sucks being in a busy parking lot, in reverse wanting to back out, and no one knows you're there so they keep blowing by. It also sucks backing up at night with only the soft red glow of your tail lights.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 01-09-2020, 04:20 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
really nice wedding photo !

nice indicator lights too !

I am not familiar with the older fsj trucks

but I do like those lights !!!

you have done a great job
and the truck and wedding came together and the same time !

dave in NC

Thank you Dave! I had almost forgotten about the lights at one point. They were one of the first things I took off of the dash years ago during disassembly. I think I saw pictures of them in Kaiserjeep's thread, but I also saw a wagoneer that Jonathan Ward if Icon 4x4 did (amazing. google it) and I'm pretty sure that he custom made a new set out of billet aluminum if my memory serves me correctly. I had to bring them back.

Probably not a coincidence that the truck was more or less finished for the wedding...

Old 01-09-2020, 04:36 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
That's awesome!!! thanks for sharing! Gonna show my better half when I get home.

Let's get mechanical about that picture:
1) assuming each person standing in your bed averages out to a svelte 200 pounds, that's ~1800 pounds of meat and bone in there! Good thing you didn't decide to build a Chevy Luv, Subie BRAT, or one of those FWD VW Pickups from the 80's!
2) your rear tire fits PERFECTLY in your fender, assuming the suspension is completely compressed! look how perfectly centered it is in the rear fender. Take pride in knowing those are your measurements and you nailed them.
3) Even with all that meat and bone in the bed, your truck still has a sweet stance!
4) Tell the dude on the far left to quit leaning on yo cab. He's gonna scuff the paint!

Good idea on the backup lights. Even if we didn't have to have back up lights, you really want them. I had an old chevy pickup in High school that had no back up lights. It sucks being in a busy parking lot, in reverse wanting to back out, and no one knows you're there so they keep blowing by. It also sucks backing up at night with only the soft red glow of your tail lights.

Haha, I appreciate the mechanical commentary. I was doing some quick mental math when the photographer asked if everyone could get in the bed... Very glad the springs survived to tell the tale. The funniest thing about those pictures to me is the leaf spring... It is... compressed to say the least... EEK!

The fender measurements... Well I suppose it's time I confess to this. I didn't AAAAAAAAAACTUALLY take that many precise measurements when I was mounting the fenders. I made a series of shims to get the height right. This is where I got really lucky. At the rear fender height I finally settled on, the top of the fender was exactly in line with the seam between two boards on the bed side. Since I cut all the boards the same, this was the same on both sides. Then to center them on the axles, I literally moved them forwards and backwards on the shims, on the tire until the top of the fender lined up with the lines of the bed. Since I'd built the bed to the lines of the truck and not made it level to the ground, this made the bed floor perpendicular to the rear axle's line of travel. Then once I got the fenders positioned level, I did actually drop a square edge from the top of the fender to the wheel hub to make sure that they were centered. Clamped them to the bed and drilled my two starter holes. Then once they were mounted with those, I drilled the rest of them.

It was a little nerve-racking to say the least, but turned out remarkably correct looking!

That guy on the left is my buddy Joey. He's so dang likeable that even if he scuffed the paint, I'd be ok with it!