International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-24-2007, 10:41 AM

Buy Reman engine or Rebuild?

I'm trying to get my 90 wag on the road after sitting in the garage for a year. I rebuilt the 727 and need to do the 360 now. I am either going to just buy a reman engine or do it myself. Problem is that I don't really have the time to do it myself. If I "make" the time, I prob. won't "make" the time and it'll sit longer. If I go with a reman, what make should I buy? Anybody heard bad things of ATK? How about Jasper? I've always done my own builds in the past so I have no exp. buying one. It looks like I can get a ATK long block with warranty for $1500-1700 delivered to my door. I'm not looking for an exotic build for the 360. If I do it myself it will consist of a tear down, run of the mill machine work, buy a full engine kit with mild cam and assemble.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:49 AM
327 Rambler

I have heard good and bad about Jasper, that being said I got a Jasper (360) a couple months ago. I have not put on very many miles since than because I have other things to do to the vehicle. The engine comes with a nationwide warranty which is nice. A rebuild MIGHT come with a warranty, but nationwide. One thing I regret is not removing the engine myself, could have saved some money, of course they need your core. Engine $2872.00. Then to have it installed $

Last edited by 2003 mcs : 07-24-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I'm having my 360 rebuilt right now. The guy doing the work for me has a machine shop that did my short block for $1250 that included maching work, pistons, rings, etc...etc... Ended up going .030 over.

Then I went out and splurged in a Performer intake, cam, Holley 4BBL, HEI and a few other goodies, another $1300 or so. Removal and installation by my guy is a little more but he also took care of things like filters and gaskets for the tranny, distributor gear oiling mod, and a couple other mods.

I had thought about doing a Jasper or something like that and tried the ebay engine route (engine was junk, ended up using the block for the rebuild).

Should be getting the GW back this week, can't wait to try it out.

GW - 87 GW 360/4bbl/727/208 Vinyl floor, manual windows, no woodgrain
Find someone to haul your Jeep here: YT Hauling Schedule

Last edited by Geeeep : 07-24-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Master Mechanic

It is tough to find time when you have family responsibilities and such. I think I wuld be inclined to find a used runner to drop in then take your time re-building your old one.

The trick is....there is no trick...just sacrifice your sleep time for Jeep time. I usually hit the garage from 8PM till whenever....when I am in town.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:55 PM
FSJ Maniac

i had fun rebuilding my 360. that being said, it took a while to do. i had a corner of my living room filled with parts for about 4 months. the little things really made it difficult, finding the right bolts, realizing the right bolts were gone and not to be found. but i have it running and every time it fires up i get the warm fuzzy feeling. i still get the that fuzzy feeling when it dont start too. its just not as good as when it starts
www.kymc.org
shadowjeep
2003 Chevy Silverado
"WHEN IN DOUBT, THROTTLE IT OUT"
Old 07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Grease Monkey

Wow, does this sound familiar! I have about 600 miles on an ATK reman 360 in my '88 Grand Wagoneer. I bought it through my local NAPA and had it installed by a local shop. Like you, I would have done the whole thing myself, but I just don't have the time right now. So far, I'm very happy with the ATK 360. And, since the shop that did the work is a "NAPA Service Center", I didn't even have to transport the engine and core. NAPA delivered the new engine and picked up my core for free! Only time will tell about how good the ATK reman is, but it does come with a warranty and the NAPA guys swear by them.

John
Old 07-24-2007, 01:40 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjeep
It is tough to find time when you have family responsibilities and such. I think I wuld be inclined to find a used runner to drop in then take your time re-building your old one.

The trick is....there is no trick...just sacrifice your sleep time for Jeep time. I usually hit the garage from 8PM till whenever....when I am in town.

...or you could find a 360, rebuild that and tehn pull yours out and swp in the rebuilt one and sell yours to make a few bucks back on it.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Dexron Impaired

You could try to find a local shop to build the 360 that's in there now. That's what we did with Peso. Local boy who did the r & r. Came with a 12 mo/12K warranty. Total out the door was $1060.00.

That was 3 years ago and we've had zero issues with it.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:56 PM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

If you havent had alot of experience rebuilding motors I would then buy a long block and add accessories to it.
"We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"
Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Perfesser of Jeepology

I'm buying a long block for the wife's waggie, mainly because of time and lack of working area. I haven't made my final choice of dealers, but probably S&S Rebuilt Engines. About $1500 to the door, not counting core charge.

I'll have some fine helpers and should be able to do the swap in a few hours.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 07-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I bought two trucks from different people that had Jasper motors. Both were junk. I won't bore you with the details but I would not advise it. BTW each motor had 15k and around 30k on them
1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin
Old 07-25-2007, 06:26 AM

Thanks guys, it sounds like if i go reman, I'll go ATK. I'm actually thinking about going 5.7 hemi swap now. 5.7's are everywhere for a couple thousand with harnesses and computer. I was going to fuel inject the 360 and that is another $1k onto the reman. I'm not new to fab work and can weld so fitting the 5.7 shouldn't be a nightmare. I just need to figure out what trans/case to go with. Looks like the 45rfe (get the TCM flashed for 5th gear) and either adapt for my 229 case or get ahold of the case that came on the dodges.