International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-02-2004, 04:49 AM

Question

I have the name of a guy in the Portland, OR. area that seems to really know his stuff for our specific rigs, but will be pretty expensive as well.

Here is what I want to get to (I think) -

Good rebuild of the 360 with the full Edlebrock Performance kit.

- All new CTO's and vacuum lines
- perhaps a couple of the advantageous oiling mods.
- New timing cover

This is my primary vehicle so I just want a smooth driving rig with comfortable power for occaisional light to medium towing.

My major question is whether to get a crate motor or rebuild the still running original engine. I have heard pro's and con's each way, and at the moment my usual mechanic for the larger stuff suggests:

Crate motor from TAM ( in Tacoma area) ~$1350 LB
Engine R & R - ~800
Transmission Rebuild - $600

This doesn't include belts / hoses and tune up parts.

I am leaning towards finding a good machine shop to rebuild my current engine as I know what I have at the moment.

Anyone have any do's and don't in this experience. I'd like to do it right within reason and a realistic budget.

Thanks.
89 GW<br />360/727/NP229<br />Ported TBI with all sensor options from Custom EFIS, Bored .030, custom cam and head work, Edelbrock intake, externally balanced, FlowKooler WP, TFI, K&N Filters, Rebuilt transmission with HD TC and shift kit
Old 06-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Grease Monkey

Pay the extra money for someone with experience on these rigs. Pull the cover off the heater box yourself,, that will get smashed for sure. Try to do the vacuum system yourself. Take a bunch of pix now. Check with the Waasington BBB on your mechanic. Get an estimate in writing so he does not try to run up the cost on parts. Research the cost of parts now, so you know if he's marking up more than 100%. Stay on top of it while it is in the shop. If you stop in everyday, he will move quicker cuz your bugging him. Hold out final payment until you are happy. Do not get intimidated, he wants the money more than your car. I paid 3600.00 for a rebuild that took 3 months and I am still trying to get the thing to run right. The guy knew nothing about the AMC vac. system, and obviously chose not to study the diagram. So everytime I find another misplaced hose, I have to reset the timing. Now I think one of the CTO's is bad, cuz it coughs and sputters on accel. when cold. Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Grease Monkey

Sorry, I said Wash. BBB, I meant Oregon BBB.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Master Mechanic

Me, I'm a believer in rebuilding what I have as opposed to a crate motor.

I spent some extra in my rebuild and I think it was worth the extra bucks, still it came out less than a crate motor.

First, do some homework and find a machine shop that is well experienced in working on these motors. If they are they will already know about the oiling mod and can give you sound advice on how to rebuild your engine while staying in your budget.

Line bore, balance, deck. Do more if you can afford it. The oil mod is something I didn't know about at the time or I would have done it.

BJ's had a great deal on timing cover, oil pump kit back around X-mas. Check with them. They are great guys and willing to help with advice. I think they even have a discount for forum members.

Good luck with your new motor.
\'87 GW \"Big Grin\"<br />They fear freedom. They prefer to be told. They like to be ordered around. They love their chains and kiss their manacles. What men!’<br /> Elissa, in “And Then There Were None”
Old 06-04-2004, 02:37 AM
Propane Protagonist

The engine you have still runs? I say get a core from a junkyard, tear it down to the block yourself, take the block to a machine shop to have it prepped, then take it home, put it on an engine stand and seal it in abig trashbag. Then buy all the parts you need to rebuild off of ebay over a couple of months. Once you the crank and connecting rods (you can usually reuse the old ones) and the pistons+piston rings, a good harmonic balancer and the correct flex plate, take all of that to the machine shop too, and have them balance it. Then when you get it back, go ahead and build you're short block. Then when you got the extra cash, take your heads to the machine shop and have those rebuilt. When those are done, put those on the short block along with the timing cover and the valve train so that you have a long block. Then take the intake, rocker covers, oilpan, and any other peripherals to the machine shop to have them jetwashed, and when you get them back, put those on, and now you have a nice shiny newly built motor that you built yourself while saving some money and learning a little more about your jeep. On a long weekend, swap it in and then build the 360 you pulled out into a screaming, rat killing, ford munching, Dodge smacking, honda crushing monster to go into your "wheelin'" rig that you plan to buy in a year or two.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!
Old 06-04-2004, 03:21 AM
Gear Head

Yeah...Matt has a good plan. Unless you absolutely need an engine now, time is an asset. Find a good core and do a slow build. If you've never rebuilt an engine before, it will be a good learning experience. The guys here can help along the way. These types of projects are definately rewarding. With the money you save on labor, you'll be able to buy a whole bunch of tools you'll need (if you don't have everything you need now). That's my justification for the tools I buy. If you look carefully, you can find a 401 to swap in instead of a 360. Might as well do it "right" the first time!