International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Noob!

Talking '91 FSJ Waggy

Ya the big Heep made it to the house this weekend as my buds yard was downsized...

Perfect timing since my wife's XJ is on the road and all.

I now have 6 cars and my property doesn't hide them well at all

That said, I know that if I store the FSJ in my Mom's garage out east it will never see the wrenches soon...

My wife originally wanted the Grand Waggy initially. The Cherokee(XJ) showed up early and I built that into a trail rig & a daily driver (if ya gotta). The XJ got a big dose of trail worthy goodies so I wont need to go beast on the Waggy.

Who knows though as they look real good on 33's

Realistically, it needs a starter, fuel pump issues and fuel tank straps are gone. PO screwed some aluminum plating into the frame rails t osupporrt the tank which isn't supporting much anymore.

Rear glass motor is sketchy, moonroof motor not responding; electric needs to be gone over as the windows went down but not up after we tried to arc start the truck a few times.

I need to do the headliner and carpeting at the least. I think the front seats will need to be swapped out as well. Otherwise, she has 137K miles and a sunroof and I really like the way she looks in the light blue. It will look really cool with some windsurfers on the racks.

Waiting on moolah from upcoming jobs for the parts.

Hoping the fuel delivery is the issue with the Waggy as its been a non runner since I got her on the free-0000h a few months back.

Lots of nice parts on the Waggy that would compliment the CJ nicely but I can't and won't molest a last edition Grand Waggy.

Any tips on the electric and fuel issues with these rigs?

Looking forward to building this classic time warp ride!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 PM

I have a 91 GW, and I'll share what I've seen.

Bought it for cheap b/c it would start if you primed it, but wouldn't stay running. The lady had a new Napa fuel pump to go with it. Was determined to drive it home, so I started changing the fuel pump in her driveway. Noticed the fuel hose from the pump to the tank had cracks in it. Expected to see fuel leaking, but there was not b/c the pump couldn't create vacuum due to line leaking air. There really isn't much to this fuel system. A few fuel hoses, a $20 to $25 pump, and the filter. After that, the fuel is getting to the carb and if you have a problem there...that's a whole different subject. There is a mechanical device that the cam operates which powers the fuel pump. If this is not working, you have a big problem. I have seen that once on a Ford V8 about 25 years ago...but that's it. It could happen.

Had some electrical issues too....all traceable to the fuseable links at the starter relay on the inner fender/passenger side. Clean all of those connections, and verify that the links are good before you do anything else. By the way, none of the links were blown, but 2 of them had shorts that were very difficult to find.

As for the sunroof motor, if you press the switch and hear absolutely nothing, either it's not getting power, or the switch is bad. If you hear a click, then the sunroof is getting power and the motor is bad, or the sunroof could be stuck due to tracks being dirty etc.

By the way, changed the fuel hose and drove it home.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM
258 I6

More and more 91's pop up every day. Congrats and welcome! Sounds like you may have the Spinnaker Blue as well. Good find!
Webpage with lots of pics
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1982 Chrysler LeBaron