X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

I wouldn't wrap it, there are better options.
    My FIL had his Tesla coated by a high end detail shop (forget name/what it was.)
    But the thing still looks fantastic after 40k and a couple years of daily driver use in southern California.
    Very tough coating (unlike vinyl), problem with wraps is they are pretty easily damaged. Once damaged they look like hell.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

since you are asking for advise.....

my personal advice is 100%.... do not wrap it.

i have been doing signs for 25+ years......

on some things a wrap may be a good idea, but not in this case.

( even if you did, you would then be in search of, the perfect protectant to apply to the clear !!!!!! ha ha )
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• ProTouring442
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by ShagWagon
        For 4-10 grand?

I wonder how much a sprayer and paint booth costs.

Because I'm gonna drive my Jeep and I don't want to be like worried when I park it that some dumbass will door ding it, rockchips on the freeway from the truck in front of you, or if I brush up on a branch, or slide off the road in a snowstorm etc....

If your going to garage queen it then yeah get a nice pearl paint job and trailer it to car shows and such. But it's a Jeep. For kids, dogs , camping, fishing etc... do you care what your Jeep thinks? It has feelings you know.

And if you got your own paint gear then you can fix any scratches and blemishes that can and will occur.

I can't paint so take with a grain of salt. But for that cost I might learn some.

Just in Primer, Sealer, Base, and Clear, I have a good $5,000 in materials on my 442--and that was ten years ago. I know of show cars where the cut and buff cost $5,000 plus, and the paint was $20,000 or more.

For a Jeep, a nice, non-metallic, single stage without major body work can probably be done for $5,000 or so.
        You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
          258 I6
          • Jul 25, 2010

Originally posted by Jays jeep
          here is my 2 cents. I have been a painter for 20 years. I own and operate a high end car shop in Arizona. In my opinion your jeep looks amazing (based on that picture). We do sanding and polishing on single stage vehicles all the time. It can be done but with much care. The best is if you can find a high end detail shop and just do a polish. That will bring out most oxidation and minor scratches and put the depth and shine back. And as always top it with a good wax. And good meaning buy it online from places like Chemical Guys, or Armor wax , not AutoZone Miquieres stuff.
          I found Chemical Guys online, thank you! Is this Armour wax?
          Car Detailing Products and Car Wax used by enthusiasts, manufactured within the UK. Free Shipping. Fast Dispatch. Excellent Customer Service
          Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
            304 AMC
            • May 01, 2004

I agree with the above, not that i can paint. From the photo, you have an amazing looking rig. Black will always be tough to keep the streaks and such out of, but they sure do shine when polished!

He would probably through my projects out of his shop if he knew I sent another wagoneer to him, but if you decide you want something done, and have the patience to wait for him to get to you (I am at the 1-year mark for my GW), check out Hyper Formance in Easley, SC (Greenville).

FB search "Robert Brent Click" to see some of his work. Recent photo posted of a cobra he just did (with my sad GW waiting in the background..). It is just him and his wife. They do amazing stuff, do not advertise and are always backlogged.
            One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
            http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
            95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
            50 CJ3A
            77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• 440sixpack
              327 Rambler
              • Jul 21, 2016

There are no short cuts or Ronco miracle fixes . if it won't buff out you repaint it.

Like most people I don't have the skills to do the final body work and paint at a professional level , but I can do the grunt work. if you're willing to do the work anyone can do you'll get a paint job you didn't think you could get at a price you can justify.

I'm not saying you Jeep needs painted, I question that it does. but if you're trying to convince yourself it doesn't chances are your'e not going to be happy until you get it done.

My J10 is about ready to shoot and it should come it between $7000 and $8000 depending on if I use RM or Glasurit base and clear. I'll put some pictures up to show what you can get if you're willing to do some of the work and find the right painter for that type of money.

Comment

• ls3waggy
                232 I6
                • Dec 01, 2014

If you can afford it, I would get it media blasted/powdercoated.

No regrets on mine, except that I didn't get it powdercoated and and it was a to get all the little spots that were bare metal.

My paintjob was very expensive, and to be honest there are some flaws, so I wouldn't go too crazy expensive..

0122151636 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

0325151514a by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

IMG_6982 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

2016-05-17_06-01-36 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

2017-05-09_02-31-57 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X