• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viscacha
    350 Buick
    • Dec 11, 2002

J20 Rear Axle Shaft Upgrade

I?ve been searching for chrome moly axle shafts for my dana 60 for months with no luck so now I?m searching for new stock replacement axle shafts. The few places that say they have stock replacement shafts (cut to length) say the flanges are 8 x 4? BC. My J20 has an 8 x 3.75? BC flange.

Are all J20 dana 60?s the same? Anybody bought new axle shafts before for a J20? I?m a little confused because I thought I had identified this axle as a dana 60-0 (no dash number) but some sources tell me it?s a dana 60-3 which I don?t believe it is. Even if it was its still got a 3.75? BC which doesn?t match anything I?ve ever found. I went through this while trying to find the metal flange seals, which I never did find because of the bolt pattern. Why do I have such an oddball bolt circle hole pattern and who has axle shafts with that pattern?

Thanks.
    steve

?86 J20
    SOA, Dana 60's, F/R Lockers
    Full High Steer, Ram Assist
    Bunch of Other Stuff
  • zmjeeps
    304 AMC
    • Jun 14, 2000

The book says Spicer (Dana) Part # 31494-10 is the shaft number for both the left and right sides of an '86 J-20. Call your local FleetPride or other drivetrain shop and give them this part number.
    Zack Heisey
    Z&M Jeeps
    419.893.4JEEP (4533)
    www.zmjeeps.com
    [email protected]

Comment

• Clem
      350 Buick
      • Jan 18, 2005

I would imagine someone like Randy's R&P would have info on it. I might try calling a drive line place that deals with axles and shafts. It is FF rearend. You can change a shaft out really easy with nothing else but hand tools. No jacks, no nada. I would just keep a spare shaft or two with you and call it good. It isn't indestructable, but should hold up fine to 33's and any locker easily.
      Clem Harris. <br />My other car is a 293,500 lb. locomotive.

Comment

• viscacha
        350 Buick
        • Dec 11, 2002

I just went to the local diff shop and his book says my axle flanges are 8 x 3.720? bc. All these places that sell axle shafts with 8 x 4? bc are actually 8 x 3.96? bc. It doesn?look good for finding new axles.
        steve

?86 J20
        Bunch of Other Stuff

Comment

• GroundHawgs
          232 I6
          • Jul 06, 2004

If your looking for offset D-60 rear I have one I don't need. Lemme know if you want anything off of it or the whole thing.....

Comment

• viscacha
            350 Buick
            • Dec 11, 2002

I have the centered diff, both shafts are the same length. I?m going to keep looking for a new shaft source.
            steve

?86 J20
            Bunch of Other Stuff

Comment

• gwinn
              360 AMC
              • Nov 05, 2001

Hey Steve, when I picked up that D60 housing from Marshall I immediately started looking for parts to rebuild it. I think I e-mailed you at the time that I was gonna' put off the rebuild due to difficulties (including finding and affording parts). I never did find a source for the axle shafts. Don't they ever break? You might try e-mailing Kevin regarding the company in California that was going to custom build his chrome moly D44 shafts patterned after the stock ones he was going to send to them.
              1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

Comment

• rockcandy
                304 AMC
                • Aug 20, 2003

Is the problem finding shafts with the correct bolt pattern to bolt up to the hub? If that is the case, you might want to check if moser or someone can make a shaft with a blank hub face or whatever they call it and have it drilled appropriately my a machine shop. It seems like it would be easier to just change to a 60 hub from a ford. Then buy your shafts. I can't imagine a set of hubs setting you back much.
                1979 waggy, one ton WT conversion going on...

1979 golden eagle buggy...living on through donations across the country

Comment

• J10/J20 Project
                  360 AMC
                  • Mar 22, 2002

Are you wanting to upgrade for security reason's of someday breaking a shaft? I think it would be a very hard to break a shaft on a FF axle. My dana 60 from a 83 J20 just say's 60 on the bottom right of the pumpkin.
                  I have a spare set of shaft's if they need them for a sample.

[ February 15, 2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: J10/J20 Project ]
                  Paul<br /> 78 J10/J20 (NoHurry)<br />front 44H/D, rear 60FF<br />TH400/Dana 20<br />33 gal. custom gas tank<br /> 93XJ 3.5 RE, 31\'s,<br />30 locked<br />Dana 44 lsd<br /> 69 Sunbeam Alpine GT

Comment

• gwinn
                    360 AMC
                    • Nov 05, 2001

Here are a few custom shops suggested by LilBro:

Summers Brothers, Inc.
                    530 S. Mountain Ave.
                    Ontario, CA 91762
                    Phone: 714.986.2041
                    FAX: 714.984.7908

or

www.moserengineering.com

Both of these companies can custom fab axles
                    1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

Comment

• viscacha
                      350 Buick
                      • Dec 11, 2002

I just dropped off the rear dana 60 at the diff shop for new 4.10 gears. I?ll keep looking for new axle shafts and the local diff guy will try to find some. I couldn?t come up with any other option. I can?t replace the hubs because the newer hubs have larger bearings. I can?t bore out the spindles in my axle for newer dana 60 axle shafts because there?s not enough material. That means I can?t get chrome moly axle shafts with blank flanges because all the new axle shafts made are a larger diameter. I don?t think anyone will have the axle material in my diameter to have custom shafts made but I haven?t ruled that out completely until I do more research. My axle is obsolete and I should have looked into finding a 14 bolt or another dana 60. I might end up begging a club member to sell me a couple spare axle shafts and call it good.
                      steve

?86 J20
                      Bunch of Other Stuff

Comment

• badaboom
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jun 05, 2001

viscacha,

I have been finding this thread interesting. Am I understanding this correctly. Your having difficultly finding new replacement stock or mfg custom axles shafts for your J20 axle housing 1986 D60?

Is this the norm out there?

I Have not heard of this problem before.
                        1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• viscacha
                          350 Buick
                          • Dec 11, 2002

Yea, I can?t find new axle shafts due to the 1.31? dia axle shaft with an 8 x 3.72? bc pattern. Length is not an issue since they cut axle shafts to whatever length you need.
                          steve

?86 J20
                          Bunch of Other Stuff

Comment

• badaboom
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jun 05, 2001

viscacha,

Boy your making me re-think, somethings. Concerning upgading the rear axle housing.
                            1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• viscacha
                              350 Buick
                              • Dec 11, 2002

Badaboom, what I was trying to do was upgrade my ?old? dana 60 to ?new? dana 60 specifications. You can see in the specs below that you could achieve that with 4340 chrome moly shafts. Plus, since I am replacing the ring and pinion I could buy a high performance gear set to go with the higher torque ratings. That?s all I?ll ever need in the way of strength for what I do. But I can?t get chrome moly shafts that I know of. It looks like Moser makes the strongest shaft available.

My dana 60, 30 spline 1.31? - 6044 ft/lbs
                              New dana 60, 35 spline 1.5? - 8966ft/lbs
                              Moser Eng induction hardened, 30 spline 1.31? - 6200 ft/lbs $299 ea. (not worth it)
                              Aftermarket 4340, 30 spline 1.31? - 9923 ft/lbs
                              steve

?86 J20
                              Bunch of Other Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X