• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dylan Rogers
    232 I6
    • Oct 05, 2020

1980 Jeep Wagoneer Limited | New Member | AMC 360 V8

Hello everyone,

My name is Dylan, and I live in Idaho, USA. I am a fan of forums and enjoy contributing to the community knowledge base as well as having a great source of reference. I look forward to using the forums.

I purchased a 1980 Jeep Wagoneer Limited (non-running) recently out of intuition. I saw it on FB marketplace for $500. I asked the seller if the engine was complete and if it had a clean title. She confirmed each of these, so I decided to take a chance and rent a U-haul to trailer it back (of course I need my truck right after I get rid of it). I got there and was instantly drawn to the vehicle. It did/does not run but the engine looked complete. It has power steering, windows, seats, rear window, A/C, manual locking front hubs, selectable 4WD (2Hi/4Hi/N/4Lo), and a large hole in the radiator (it looks like someone previously left the radiator fan nuts loose and the fan when wild, smacking the radiator). The body is in fair shape with some rust and patches, but it is in immaculate condition compared to what a similar model would look like from where I grew up (the salty streets of Minnesota).

Since getting it home, I have put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, cleaned out most of the nests-of-creatures-past from the engine bay, turned the crank by hand to see if the engine seized (turned w/what seems like good compression), cleaned battery connections and grounds, tested power windows & seats, disconnected the fuel pump, and tried turning it over with a new battery.

The engine turned over but didn't fire (w/fuel poured into top of carb as well as starting fluid). I checked for spark and the first two cylinders I checked don't have spark, so I am assuming the rest don't either. I made sure the plug wires and connections all felt secure on the plugs, cap, and to the ignition coil (which is a Ford coil). I also checked the cap and rotor, which both look new.

From what I have read on the IFSJA forum so far, it seems like the ignition systems on these vehicles have some common issues. I plan to read up and watch some more videos related to the ignition system before trying anything else out. I am totally open to suggestions and ideas from you, too!

Warmly,
    Dylan
    Last edited by Dylan Rogers; 11-08-2020, 10:04 AM.
  • deckside
    258 I6
    • May 02, 2015

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Im a 1980 Limited guy to

This is a great place for Waggy owners.
    Last edited by deckside; 11-08-2020, 09:22 AM.
    1980 Wagoneer Limited "Prissyish" Sold
    1972 Wagoneer Butter Scotch Gold restoring

Comment

• MysticRob
      350 Buick
      • Nov 26, 2019

Hey, Dylan, I'm also in Boise, off Cole and Fairview.
      If you want to get together and talk about these things one of these days let me know.
      I'm out of commission for a couple weeks after gut surgery but would be more than happy to swap stories and compare notes.

Good timing too, as I'm about to jump into more engine bay mechanicals as soon as I get my interior put 'mostly' back together. I got my waggy started for a couple minutes (had no coolant so didn't run it long) after rebuilding the horribly contaminated carb and swapping in a new starter relay. Old relay was not trusted and I had to correct a LOT of miswiring issues that someone had bumbled.

My ongoing build thread for your viewing enjoyment:
      Background: I bought the old girl in mid-November of 2019 as a garage project, mostly to keep myself busy over the last winter, and as it turned out, during the ridiculous China virus lockdown scare. I found it on FB Marketplace, listed by an older woman and her son thru her deceased husband's account. She wanted $2k,
      Last edited by MysticRob; 11-08-2020, 10:55 AM.
      --Rob--
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
        232 I6
        • Oct 05, 2020

Originally posted by deckside
        Sounds like you are off to a great start. Im a 1980 Limited guy to

This is a great place for Waggy owners.
        Thank you, Deckside! Nice choice of vehicle haha.

Originally posted by MysticRob
        Hey, Dylan..., I'm also in Boise, off Cole and Fairview.
        If you want to get together and talk about these things one of these days let me know.
        I'm out of commission for a couple weeks after gut surgery but would be more than happy to swap stories and compare notes.

Good timing too, as I'm about to jump into more engine bay mechanicals as soon as I get my interior put 'mostly' back together. I got my waggy started for a couple minutes (had no coolant so didn't run it long) after rebuilding the horribly contaminated carb and swapping in a new starter relay. Old relay was not trusted and I had to correct a LOT of miswiring issues that someone had bumbled.
        Hey Rob,

Close by! I'm off Vista near the airport. I would love to get together sometime and chat. I hope you heal up well! I checked out your build thread and am super impressed with the progress you've made on the interior. I bet hearing it run for a few minutes was exciting... I'm still waiting for my few moments of excitement haha (which I also won't have coolant for due to the hole in my radiator). Mine has wires running all over the damn place and most have stripped ends and are just dangling or resting on things. Miswiring must have been a common hobby on these things.

Comment

• MysticRob
          350 Buick
          • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by Dylan Rogers
          Hey Rob,

Close by! I'm off Vista near the airport. I would love to get together sometime and chat. I hope you heal up well! I checked out your build thread and am super impressed with the progress you've made on the interior. I bet hearing it run for a few minutes was exciting... I'm still waiting for my few moments of excitement haha (which I also won't have coolant for due to the hole in my radiator). Mine has wires running all over the damn place and most have stripped ends and are just dangling or resting on things. Miswiring must have been a common hobby on these things.
          Ah nice, I work off E. Gowen, across from the Commercial Tire joint. Hearing it sounded great, especially considering all the problems overcome to get to that point.

Rats' Nest would be a good word for it all under the hood. I actually cleaned up my engine bay quite a bit tracing things down, inspecting, reterminating, rerunning, and stuffing everything in new black 1/4" and 3/4" wire loom. That and zip ties go a long way to cleaning it all up.

I think your starter relay will be a bit different, but we can use mine as a template to verify a few things if needed. I had some nice melted orange stuff when a previous owner confused the A/C wiring with the electric choke wiring!
          --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• 2nd Day
            FSJ Bird Man
            • Nov 08, 2002

Welcome, FSJs will change your life!
            ""In God We Trust"
            87 Grand Waggy
            Co-Founder of the ECI
            My son asked:
            Why does Daddy always buy the Jeeps that break down a lot?"

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
              232 I6
              • Oct 05, 2020

Ah nice...
              Rats' nest does sound like a good word for it! Referencing will be helpful, for sure. The melted orange stuff sounds troubling haha.

Originally posted by 2nd Day
              Welcome, FSJs will change your life!
              Thank you, and I am looking forward to it haaha!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

YESSSSS!!! Welcome to the forum!!!

I bought a house off S. Five Mile and Lake Hazel and will be moving up there in about 18 months! Stoked to have so many quality FSJ folks there! Driftwood is in Nampa and has a sweet 79 Wagoneer.

Biggest bit of advice I have for a new FSJer: One thing at a time to get it driving and focus on getting it driving. I can't tell you how many times I have watched people tear into rigs, doing all the "Fun stuff" (Grill swap, engine mods, etc.) then never really get it going and end up either selling it for pennys or parting it out. Make it run and drive, make it run and drive reliably, make it run and drive well. Then do the fun stuff.

Oh, and use our classifieds, wanted ads and watch the for sale stuff. You will get STEALS on stuff here. Many of us are just trying to clear parts out and want them gone. You hit ebay/Team Grand Wagoneer, etc. and you are going to have to mortgage your house to keep it on the road. BJs if AWESOME. etc.

Next time I come to Boise (probably late June/early July), we'll have to have FSJ coffee meetup with all you guys and some others.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• MysticRob
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                  ...I bought a house off S. Five Mile and Lake Hazel and will be moving up there in about 18 months! Stoked to have so many quality FSJ folks there! Driftwood is in Nampa and has a sweet 79 Wagoneer...

Next time I come to Boise (probably late June/early July), we'll have to have FSJ coffee meetup with all you guys and some others.
                  Looks like you'll be down in the Kuna area. I'm pretty new to the valley, having been up here only 13 months now, but I love it. So glad the company moved up here.

A meetup sounds awesome. I've yet to see any waggys on the road, and found just 3 older ones in salvage yards up here. Hoping I can get my 88 on the road by end of the year, but that all depends on my health at this point.
                  --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 05, 2020

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                    YESSSSS!!! Welcome to the forum!!!

I bought a house off S. Five Mile and Lake Hazel and will be moving up there in about 18 months! Stoked to have so many quality FSJ folks there! Driftwood is in Nampa and has a sweet 79 Wagoneer.

Biggest bit of advice I have for a new FSJer: One thing at a time to get it driving and focus on getting it driving. I can't tell you how many times I have watched people tear into rigs, doing all the "Fun stuff" (Grill swap, engine mods, etc.) then never really get it going and end up either selling it for pennys or parting it out. Make it run and drive, make it run and drive reliably, make it run and drive well. Then do the fun stuff.

Oh, and use our classifieds, wanted ads and watch the for sale stuff. You will get STEALS on stuff here. Many of us are just trying to clear parts out and want them gone. You hit ebay/Team Grand Wagoneer, etc. and you are going to have to mortgage your house to keep it on the road. BJs if AWESOME. etc.

Hey Rang, thank you! Sounds like an awesome spot you have picked out in Idaho. I appreciate your advice on getting it running before any fun stuff. That's my plan is to get it running reliably and enjoy before deciding if I'll go deep into it or not. Thanks for the tip on the classifieds! I'll definitely check here first. A coffee meetup sounds pleasant. Let me know!

Looks like you'll be down in the Kuna area. I'm pretty new to the valley, having been up here only 13 months now, but I love it. So glad the company moved up here.

A meetup sounds awesome. I've yet to see any waggys on the road, and found just 3 older ones in salvage yards up here. Hoping I can get my 88 on the road by end of the year, but that all depends on my health at this point.
                    Your '88 sounds like a sweet project, Rob!

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 05, 2020

I got the old girl running for a spirt. I cleaned some connections and then checked for spark. I was getting intermittent energy from the plug wire between the coil and cap. I replaced the wire and then had consistent spark again. I tried turning it over for a while with gas down her throat with no luck. I checked for spark again and there was nothing. I probed for energy at the coil and got nothing. I put a new coil on (the old one was a Ford coil with terribly corroded push-style connectors) and it fired right up. I think the Ford coil is probably still good but the connectors are all messed up and the prongs are push-style, so I'll keep the Accel coil I bought for it. I'm super satisfied, anyway! Bought the Wagoneer for $460 and spent $35 to get it firing. I can't wait to get the fuel system cleaned and updated as well as figure out why it has no brakes. Any ideas are appreciated!

Comment

• Be from Be
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 27, 2017

Welcome!
                        Would love to see some pictures!
                        1978 Cherokee Chief
                        360 V8 Automatic
                        Quadra Trac w/ Mile Marker conversion
                        4" Skyjacker

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

AWESOME!!! Success!!! Woooo Hooo!!!!
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 25, 2016

I never find the 500 dollars vehicles.

I have given 5,000 for ones that I found should have been 500,....

great find

a lotta fun for 500 (+)........

dave in NC
                            SOLSAKS - dave
                            1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                            1982 J-10 Fleetside
                            1988 grand wagoneer
                            2004 RUBICON jeep
                            Benson, NC

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 05, 2020

Originally posted by Be from Be
                              Welcome!
                              Would love to see some pictures!
                              Thank you, and sure thing!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mRtcozVAgqUpS3rn8 (Got it running )

Comment

Working...
                              X