International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-07-2005, 03:02 AM
350 Buick

Hi All,
I'm about to replace the evaporator and expansion valve (as well as the compressor and receiver) when I change the system back to r12 from 134a. I already have the expansion valve, receiver and compressor, but waiting on the evap and I have a few questions:

1) My parts references show 1990 as having an externally equalized exp valve. I think I might have the wrong valve because the new one is not externally equalized. Is it just a different type of valve that doesn't need the extra tube, or is there some advantage in the external tube?

2) If the new evaporator comes with a fitting for the extra connection should I insist on an externally equalized valve, or cap the fitting and move on?

3) A small sticker on the expansion valve says "hfc r-134a" on it but the a/c parts house insists it is the right valve (I am putting r12 back in the system). Does this mean it is calibrated for 134 or does it just mean that the sensing bulb contains 134?

Thanks in advance,
Walt

[ September 07, 2005, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Walter McNeil ]
Old 09-07-2005, 03:32 AM
350 Buick

I think I might have found the answer to the first question. I found this about expansion valves:
"An externally equalized TEV may be used for all
refrigeration applications. It provides no operational disadvantages with respect to an internally equalized valve other than requiring an external equalizer line be connected."
Old 09-07-2005, 03:50 AM
350 Buick

and maybe the third question:
"The conventional liquid charge consists of the same refrigerant in the thermostatic element that is used in the refrigeration system"