International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 02-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Another story of AMAZING customer support (not an FSJ company though)

Back in the mid 90's, when I was in the Navy, I bought a Gerber multi-tool. I used it several times, every day on my ship. I considered it absolutely essential to do my job. I got out in 2001, got a (mostly) desk job, and my Gerber went into my gun kit for use there.

Over the last almost 20 years I have used the flat head screw driver pieces on that Gerber to pry on things and have broken the corners off all 3 of the flat head screw driver parts. Last week I sent an email to Gerber that said
Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Hello Gerber,
I have one of your multi-tools I bought back in the mid 90’s. I really like it but have broken 3 of the tools on it [I attached a picture]. Honestly, I broke them using them to pry on stuff when I should not have so I don’t consider this a warranty claim since it was being used incorrectly. I do not consider this tool sentimental so if it is not cost effective to repair it, I will probably just get a new one.

How much would it cost for me to send this up to you guys for you to replace the broken tools, sharpen the knife, and send back to me?

V/R
Marc
There was a couple back and forths between us (send is a picture of the whole tool so we can see what model it is, I sent them pictures, etc.). Their final response today was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerber parent company Fiskars customer service
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting Gerber. I would be happy to send a replacement under warranty. Please send me your address to complete your claim.

Thank you for contacting Gerber
That is AMAZING to me! Not only did they not ask for my old one back, which I would have gladly sent them, but they did not ask for shipping cost, did not ask for replacement cost, nothing! They just asked for my address! I expected to pay about $30 for them to replace the broken screw drivers and sharpen my knife. I am SOOoooooo happy about this!

Passing this along hoping they get a little more business!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 02-07-2020, 02:37 PM
350 Buick

10-4
glad you got good service
you deserve it

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 02-07-2020, 07:22 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

I have received the same service from leather man....on a side note i never quite liked the Gerber style as they tended to pinch your hand when cutting wires, but YES both have great customer service

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 02-07-2020, 08:04 PM

Kudos to Gerber on a 20 year old tool and kudo's to you Rang for being honest with them about the abuse.
Well done!
Old 02-07-2020, 09:18 PM

Zippo was always similar to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 02-09-2020, 07:38 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

I have had a older broken multi tool I broke many years ago. Same as you, I contacted them about repair. I sent it in and received a brand new one in return.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Jeep Doctor

That $35 cost to replace your tool is probably far more effective advertising than million-dollar Superbowl ads.