International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 PM

More transmission woes

At some point in the ownership of my Jeep, I wish to actually DRIVE it. At any rate, quick rundown on my situation.

Have an 84 Waggy with a swapped 401 and a 727. Originial 727 was shot so I got a rebuilt 83 727 from a guy on here, saw the recepits and all. At any rate, ran out of money and had to drive the Jeep to Ohio from NC for a move. Didnt have the money to replace the torque converter (had to use the one out of my 84 as the rebuilt transmission I got did not have one).

Long story short, my original transmission was non-lockup, as was the torque converter I put in my newly rebult 83 transmission which, come to find out, is lock up. Torque converter essentially ate itself and effectively became a lock up. Replaced the torque converter, fired her up, put it in gear and prest-o chang-o, Old girl is back alive albeight leaking fluid... tracked down my leak to the neutral safety switch leaking through the switch... replaced that with one from AutoZone.... filled her back up, sat through the night only to come out the next day and discover she was still leaking... tracked it down again to be the throttle shaft seal and the shift shaft seal. Got the parts for them, and replaced them...

Now, no leaks! BUT now the Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted! thing wont go in gear. It will go in park, and what im guessing is Neutral but that is it. No nothing else. I know the transmission shifted great just prior to me swapping out the NSS as well as the seals. I re-verified the linkage and it all seems like it is moving properly with the shift shaft and all.

I am guessing that maybe somehow the rooster tail got messed up when i replaced the seals (although I have no idea how)?! I am quite tired of being covered in transmission fluid but fear that dropping the pan and valve body for the 2,234,726,546 time is inevitable. Was hoping anyone else could provide some insight as to anything else I could check
Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 PM

I forgot to mention that my neutral safety switch connector broke off at the boot and I have not gotten a suitable replacement for it as of yet. I find it ultimately hard to believe that this would cause my issues. I have butt splices on the ends of the wires and when I put all 3 on the plug they are nice and snug, however I dont know which wire goes where... can anyone tell me this and/or provide a good picture? I have red, white and brown(or black who knows at this point) wires.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:52 PM
out of order

low on fluid or possibly knocked the transfer case into nuetral?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:27 PM

Shes definitely got plenty of fluid. I check it idleing in Neutral @ operating temp and shes full. Would the T-case being in neutral cause the transmission not to engage? I dont believe I ever changed the position of it but I will mess around with it if that could be an issue. I dont have the T-case hooked up. It is an NP208 where I previously had a 228 and I have adapted it completely yet so I dont even have the front drive shaft connected.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:34 AM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rckzGDub
Shes definitely got plenty of fluid. I check it idleing in Neutral @ operating temp and shes full. Would the T-case being in neutral cause the transmission not to engage? I dont believe I ever changed the position of it but I will mess around with it if that could be an issue. I dont have the T-case hooked up. It is an NP208 where I previously had a 228 and I have adapted it completely yet so I dont even have the front drive shaft connected.

Thats sounds right. The 208 should need to be in 2hi or 4hi or lo to move the vehicle, or its essentially in neutral.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:46 AM
350 Buick

Originally poster by st0rckzGDub
Quote:
I am guessing that maybe somehow the rooster tail got messed up when i replaced the seals (although I have no idea how)?!

Just to be clear, your transmission gear selector lever moves freely throughout its range. The rooster comb is only to activate the NSS for the back-up lamps (R) and the starter (P/N). So even if the rooster comb was messed up it should not prevent you from going into gear unless there is a binding condition that would affect gear selector shaft movement.

I like babywags suggestion to verify that the transfecase is not in neutral and that you are not low on fluid. That low fluid is a big one. The only other thing you might do is to put the rear on jackstands and veriy whether or not the tires move in gear with no load on them. If that is the problem I bet you will soon be learning how to rebuild your own transmission.

BTW. What did the fluid and filter look like when you pulled the valvebody to replace the shaft seals? This trans basically ate up a non-lockup torque converter and now it is not working after briefly working with a lock-up converter. I'm actually surprised it started working when you installed the correct converter.

Last edited by Woodchomper : 05-12-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:46 PM

As previously stated, the fluid level is perfectly fine. I know for a fact that the t-case is not in neutral as I have cycled the selector several times and when I engage park on the transmission the driveshaft is unable to rotate. If the t-case was in neutral or "free-spinning" then even with the transmission in park the driveshaft would still be allowed to spin and park would essentially be rendered ineffective. I am leaning heavily on something being misaligned on the valve body. I can gear the gear selector moving but it does bind a little bit and im beginning to wonder if it is actually moving the valve rod at all. More to follow.

As for the torque converter issue, that was fixed. The fluid has only ever been pink since.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:26 AM
350 Buick

I just re-read your first post and saw that you replaced both the shift seal and the throttle shaft seal. So since the valve body shift mechanism was removed the possibility does exist that something went back together wrong.

If you go back into the valve body you may want to do a close check of the detent ball for the shift selector lever. Sometimes the bore that the detent ball rides in gets worn and then the shift mechanism gets play in it. This can also lead to problems with the NSS being properly engaged. When I get a valve body with a worn out bore I always install a Trans-go detent ball kit. http://www.transgo.com/products.php?prd=TF-Detent&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=61&parent_i d=29&product_id=94&countdisplay=5&start=0&addcount view=Yes

Keep us posted on your findings.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM

Does it feel like it goes into gear but not go anywhere? You could have knocked off the park rod so it's always in "park" even when in gear. Maybe the shift linkage came out of the frame so it's moving in the air but nothing else? (my son did that last week on a Bronco)
Old 12-24-2018, 11:10 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchomper
I just re-read your first post and saw that you replaced both the shift seal and the throttle shaft seal. So since the valve body shift mechanism was removed the possibility does exist that something went back together wrong.

If you go back into the valve body you may want to do a close check of the detent ball for the shift selector lever. Sometimes the bore that the detent ball rides in gets worn and then the shift mechanism gets play in it. This can also lead to problems with the NSS being properly engaged. When I get a valve body with a worn out bore I always install a Trans-go detent ball kit. http://www.transgo.com/products.php?prd=TF-Detent&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=61&parent_i d=29&product_id=94&countdisplay=5&start=0&addcount view=Yes

Keep us posted on your findings.

Good video here --- https://youtu.be/7ttBlZJjCB4
Old 12-24-2018, 07:38 PM
232 I6

When you are shifting from drive into park does it make a grinding noise?
Old 12-27-2018, 02:47 PM

Wow! Where was the “bullet” back when I built Transmissions! That along with the nylon instead of cast iron accumulator piston spring to save the bore!