• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wookiee
    232 I6
    • Jan 24, 2015

Does my 727 need a new valve body?

I've searched and can't find a duplicate problem, doesn't mean one's not there, I just couldn't find it.

No positive detents when shifting. Just sloppy ones.

Have to hold the shifter in P and let the car roll a bit to get it to lock in.

To get it to turn over I have to pull the shifter towards me and a bit past P.

Some time ago and somewhere, I read that it's the valve body. I didn't expect the GW to last this long so I figure that I should start working on it to keep it going.
    1989 Grand Wagoneer | 100,000 miles | plow | beat
  • nograin
    304 AMC
    • Dec 19, 2000

First try adjusting the column shift control to the transmission's shift position. Chock the wheels.

If you do have to go in the valve body, its just a spring loaded ball holding that clicks into the detents. Either gummed up - unlikely as ATF is very high in cleaning detergents, or the spring is a little weak. If you disconnect or loosen the rod attaching to the lever on the transmission, then move the lever arm, you'll know.

More likely is with worn tranmission mounts and slop in the linkage, its just a bit off.

Put the lever on the transmission in park. Put the shift lever in Park, tighten the adjusment nut, move to 1, or N and check alignment. A couple tries you'll get it.
    '85 Grand Wagoneer
    360 727auto, NP229
    body by beer (PO)
    carries wood inside
    no "wood" outside
    My other car is a fish

Comment

• wookiee
      232 I6
      • Jan 24, 2015

Thanks!
      I'll do that once it warms up a little next week.

Comment

• wookiee
        232 I6
        • Jan 24, 2015

Originally posted by nograin
        First try adjusting the column shift control to the transmission's shift position. Chock the wheels.

If you do have to go in the valve body, its just a spring loaded ball holding that clicks into the detents. Either gummed up - unlikely as ATF is very high in cleaning detergents, or the spring is a little weak. If you disconnect or loosen the rod attaching to the lever on the transmission, then move the lever arm, you'll know.

More likely is with worn tranmission mounts and slop in the linkage, its just a bit off.

Put the lever on the transmission in park. Put the shift lever in Park, tighten the adjusment nut, move to 1, or N and check alignment. A couple tries you'll get it.
        Finally got around to it.
        Piece o' cake.
        Thx!

Comment

• wookiee
          232 I6
          • Jan 24, 2015

A good video showing DETENT BALL BORE REPAIR KIT installation.

Comment

• wookiee
            232 I6
            • Jan 24, 2015

Search eBay for "Valve Body Linkage Fix Repair Seal Kit"

Complete kit with rooster tail is around $220
            Just the bullet, spring and seals is $29.95.

Works On These Transmissisons
            42RE A618 46RE 46RH 47RE 47RH 48RE TF8 TF6 727 904

Comment

Working...
            X