Tired of reading ?hook up one wire to the ignition switch ON position and you're done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xuno_gil
    232 I6
    • May 24, 2011

Tired of reading ?hook up one wire to the ignition switch ON position and you're done

Ok, like the title says, I?m tired of seeing that. I will be connecting my HEI distributor next week and the only part that is confusing me is that part.
    What do you hook it up to?
    I?ve looked and looked and looked and maybe it?s because it very obvious but I?m sorry I have no idea.
    So where in the distributor does the new 12V keyed wire go to? If it take the coil cover off I see a red, yellow, and black wire, the black wire does not seam to be plugged to anything, is this where the keyed 12V wire goes to?
    Sorry for my ignorance but I was just tired of searching and finding the same exact phrase everywhere. So if someone could just tell me it would ease my headache.

Also, eventually I want to install a tachometer, should I do anything to make that installation easier at a later point? Thanks
  • hookedup50
    350 Buick
    • Aug 07, 2010

On my 89 the yellow wire that went to the coil was the one wire. Never got to the the tach, but snaked a wire and put in the loom cover and ran it through the bulkhead area of the firewall in the hopes it would help me later. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by hookedup50; 07-17-2011, 06:47 PM.
    Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
    Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
    Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
    07 Colorado
    http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• Stuka
      • Jan 21, 2001

You didn't state what year this was going on, as its varies.

But, your current coil will already have a switched +12V lead going to it. Although this may be less than 12V depending on year. Some years have a inline resistor to drop the voltage. A multi-meter will tell you if this is the case. But this line will work for you if it is 12V. If not, you will need to remove the resistor.

Comment

• xuno_gil
        232 I6
        • May 24, 2011

Originally posted by Stuka
        your current coil will already have a switched +12V lead going to it. Although this may be less than 12V depending on year. Some years have a inline resistor to drop the voltage. A multi-meter will tell you if this is the case. But this line will work for you if it is 12V. If not, you will need to remove the resistor.
        This is for my 76 J-10
        so if one of these wires will work, does it matter what wire on the actual distributor I should hook it up to, hookedup50 - what made you choose the yellow one or was it a trial by error?

Comment

• hookedup50
          350 Buick
          • Aug 07, 2010

The yellow had power with key on when tested. The wiring schematic also helped.
          Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
          Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
          Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
          07 Colorado
          http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

yup

It should be on the on I saw was the yellow wire just connected to the old ignition system feed wire & you're done.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Stuka
              • Jan 21, 2001

My 75's was red. It will be on the + side of the coil. But be sure to check the voltage, my '75 had the ballist resistor.

Comment

Working...
              X