• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnIL
    258 I6
    • Jan 31, 2006

Vacuum adventures - chasing detonation

Sorry this is so long, but it's been an interesting adventure. Thanks again to everyone who replied to my thread yesterday on what I thought was a timing problem. Here's an update on what I found last night.

With the help of this vacuum diagram from OlJeeps site, I did some investigating and found some creative vacuum line work by the PO.

When the PO installed the Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and Holley carb, he left a lot of the vacuum hoses in place, but very few of them really went anywhere. I discovered that he used a non-egr intake manifold. So, there is no EGR valve to go bad. Next, I discovered that the HDC CTO was removed entirely. The Spark CTO was still there, but all of the hoses went directly to the non-linear valve. So, neither component was actually doing anything. And, since the CTO's were out of comission, the distributor vacuum advance was connected directly to a ported vacuum source on the carb.

Now for some cleanup. I removed the non-functioning non-linear valve and the hoses going to the non-functioning Spark CTO. This freed up a manifold vacuum source on the base of the carb. So, based upon several old threads that I found, I moved the dist. vacuum advance to this manifold vacuum port and capped the ported vacuum port. This made a significant improvement in idle quality and seems to have helped the detonation problem that I had. But, I'll have to test that more on a longer drive.

Now for today's mystery. When the PO did the carb/manifold upgrade, he removed the AIR pump and hoses. According to the above diagram, there is supposed to be an AIR hose from the charcoal canister to the carb bowl vent. Since the Holley carb doesn't have a bowl vent, the PO connected this line to a manifold vaccum port on the base of the carb. So, I basically have a "controlled" vacuum leak through the charcoal canister. I disconnected this hose and plugged both the vacuum port and the port on the canister and the engine ran very poorly. Rough idle and starting trouble. I reconnected the hose and all is well. So, what gives, why does this work? Hopefully someone with more vacuum knowledge can explain this mystery to me. Thanks.

John
    1988 Grand Wagoneer
    My Web Site
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

It seems your carb is tuned to work with that controlled air-leak. Plug all vacuum ports except for the power-brakes, distributor, heater control and transfer-case switch (if so equipped), then adjust the idle according to the lean-best idle method. Also reset your timing, as running straight manifold advance will give you vacuum-advance at idle, boosting your idle timing and idle speed.
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• GWChris
      304 AMC
      • Jan 22, 2005

Originally there was a large diameter hose that ran from the charoal canister to the fuel bowl vent tube on the MC2150 carb. There was also a line that ran from the canister to manifold vacuum (but through a device that looked like a 3-tube fuel filter). The fuel bowl vent had a solenoid that shut this line when the engine was running.

The charcoal canister to manifold vacuum line does at least have a calibrated jet, so it is "controlled". The bowl vent is pretty much wide open, and I doubt it would run that way. So I suspect the line that was connected was the manifold vacuum line, and if you plug it it will indeed be too rich at idle and just off idle - so you'll have to re-tune it.

As for the old bowl vent line - just plug it if you have no place to connect it on your carb. It was just there to absorb fuel vapors that came off the fuel bowl when the engine was off.

Comment

• JohnIL
        258 I6
        • Jan 31, 2006

Bob and Chris,
        Thanks for the advise. I probably won't have time to disconnect the line and retune the carb for a while. Will it hurt anything to leave it connected as it is?

John
        1988 Grand Wagoneer
        My Web Site

Comment

• JohnIL
          258 I6
          • Jan 31, 2006

Another question. Right now, there are two manifold vacuum sources connected to the charcoal canister, the original source from the Dual CTO, and the "extra" source that I mentioned above. The only down-stream consumer connected is the gas tank vent. Is this worth keeping or should I just remove the charcoal canister completely?

John
          1988 Grand Wagoneer
          My Web Site

Comment

• Bob Barry
            Jeep Doctor
            • Apr 09, 2000

You can remove those vacuum-lines, as they are not doing anything. It is now effectively an 8"x6" fuel-tank vent opening, so you can replace that with a 3/8" fuel-filter on the end of the tank vent line. I would secure that up by the firewall, and remove everything else.
            1987 J-20
            Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

Working...
            X