• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tigger4X
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by Ghinmi
    The stock truck 12 bolt is getting the boot and the Wagoneer is going to donate it's rear axle to the build. It's a 35 spline Ford 8.8 with a steel spool, 4.10s, and disc brakes. The width is perfect for the Cherokee with the wheel and tire combo I want to run. I've got the old Dana 44 with 4.10s and a truetrac to put back in the Wagoneer. It's a bit of swapping around but it'll work out pretty well because I wasn't digging that spool for the Wagoneer.

As far as the AMC power, you don't even need to worry about that!

I haven't run the Indy yet but I have run the Edelbrock air gap for quite a while with a carburetor. It's really cold blooded but once it's up to temp it's all good. I expect the Indy would be similarly cold blooded with a carb. The Indy is obviously a single plane vs the dual plane Edelbrock. The Indy has a lot bigger runners. Also, the Indy doesn't have things like an oil fill tube, PCV, throttle bracket mounts, etc.

The allure of the Indy (to me) is for multi-port fuel injection. For MPI you've got to have a single plane so it's either the Indy or the Torker. Or buy the Edelbrock kit for big $$. I've played with the Edelbrock kit before and it's an AWESOME setup (very impressed with it) but I wanted to try a Megasquirt ECU this time because of how customizable it is. I've got some 80 lb/hr injectors, an 80mm throttle body & elbow, fuel rails, etc on the way to finish it up.

Originally posted by will e
    Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
    Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

• Elliott
      Cowboy Up
      • Jun 22, 2002

I can't tell how it warms my heart to see a chevy get butched for 401 transplant to kick butt on other chevys
      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Ghinmi
        Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Originally posted by Elliott
        I can't tell how it warms my heart to see a chevy get butched for 401 transplant to kick butt on other chevys
        The other cool part is that the chevy body ended up on a Dodge chassis and drivetrain.
        Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
        http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• billyj7175
          304 AMC
          • Sep 10, 2001

This has to be the first GM frame swap, but still-retaining-the-AMC-powerplant that I've ever seen...gotta love that.

Good looking work! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
          83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
          360/727/229
          4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• Ghinmi
            Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Some pictures of the intake with throttle body. I've still got to drill the injector bosses and make fuel rails but it just looked too cool not to post.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project

Comment

• Ghinmi
              Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

The custom oil pan

Comment

• ottocycle
                232 I6
                • Jun 09, 2010

That intake set-up looks pretty tall. I know the Indy intake is a lot taller than stock, and it looks like the elbow would be taller that a stock air cleaner assembly. I guess you get a little relief from having a horizontal TB instead of a carb-like vertical one. Are you going with a custom hood or installing a cowl scoop?

I love your concept, but I come from a Mopar background and have been conditioned to shun excessive sheet metal or frame modification.
                1989 G. Wag.
                360/727/NP229

Completed Mod.:
                - Full MSD Ign.
                - High Flow Cat. (a new one, anyway)
                - Magnaflow Muffler (nice and quiet)

Parts on Hand/In-Process:
                - 4" Rusty's Lift (all spring)
                - Edel. Performer Intake Man.
                - Edel. Ceramic Headers
                - Holley Trk. Avg. 670

Comment

• Ghinmi
                  Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Originally posted by ottocycle
                  That intake set-up looks pretty tall. I know the Indy intake is a lot taller than stock, and it looks like the elbow would be taller that a stock air cleaner assembly. I guess you get a little relief from having a horizontal TB instead of a carb-like vertical one. Are you going with a custom hood or installing a cowl scoop?

I love your concept, but I come from a Mopar background and have been conditioned to shun excessive sheet metal or frame modification.
                  Yeah, the intake is way taller than I had envisioned it. Should have no problem fitting it under the hood, the engine sits a lot lower in the C10 frame since it doesn't have to clear the front drivetrain. I've got a steel cowl hood and plenty of good stock hoods. I'll see what one works better and pull a fiberglass copy off of it.

I hear you on the sheet metal and frame mods, that's why I'm building this on instead of cutting up the Wagoneer.

Comment

• ottocycle
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 09, 2010

Right on. Didn't even consider the extra space UNDER the engine you get without that big honkin' Dana in the way.
                    1989 G. Wag.
                    360/727/NP229

Completed Mod.:
                    - Full MSD Ign.
                    - High Flow Cat. (a new one, anyway)
                    - Magnaflow Muffler (nice and quiet)

Parts on Hand/In-Process:
                    - 4" Rusty's Lift (all spring)
                    - Edel. Performer Intake Man.
                    - Edel. Ceramic Headers
                    - Holley Trk. Avg. 670

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

Well..what transmission are you using? A 2wd AMC one? I haven't started looking yet, but am interested in what the best 2wd one will bolt to a 401.
                      1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                      1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Ghinmi
                        Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Originally posted by Gambler68
                        Well..what transmission are you using? A 2wd AMC one? I haven't started looking yet, but am interested in what the best 2wd one will bolt to a 401.
                        Here's a few options off the top of my head.

1. Get a 2wd trans from an AMC car. I think the 4.0L in Jeeps uses the same bolt pattern as an AMC so maybe a 2wd XJ trans would work too?

2. Buy a 2wd trans from a Chevy and use an ultrabell or adapter plates. They make an ultrabell for Powerglide, TH350 and TH400. I'm sure they also make adapter plates to run a 700R4.

3. Convert a Jeep TH400 to 2wd. You'll need to swap output shafts and tail housings and machine the case for a speedometer output. Not sure of the years but some early (1974ish) AMC/Jeep TH400s are already machined for the speedometer.

I've done option 3 for my Wagoneer and have no complaints. The Cherokee will be getting an ultrabell and a 2wd chevy trans for safety's sake.

Comment

• Tigger4X
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Nov 16, 2001

Theres goes another keyboard! I keep forgetting my drool rag. Some most excellent goodies under that hood. I'd love to hear it scream when you light it up!
                          Originally posted by will e
                          Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
                          Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                            King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Ghinmi
                            Here's a few options off the top of my head.

1. Get a 2wd trans from an AMC car. I think the 4.0L in Jeeps uses the same bolt pattern as an AMC so maybe a 2wd XJ trans would work too?

2. Buy a 2wd trans from a Chevy and use an ultrabell or adapter plates. They make an ultrabell for Powerglide, TH350 and TH400. I'm sure they also make adapter plates to run a 700R4.

3. Convert a Jeep TH400 to 2wd. You'll need to swap output shafts and tail housings and machine the case for a speedometer output. Not sure of the years but some early (1974ish) AMC/Jeep TH400s are already machined for the speedometer.

I've done option 3 for my Wagoneer and have no complaints. The Cherokee will be getting an ultrabell and a 2wd chevy trans for safety's sake.
                            You also could use a Chrysler 2WD style 727 and convert an AMC 727 that came from a later model FSJ.
                            Same deal as the TH400, swap output shaft and tailhousing.
                            Bryan Smith
                            2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                            - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                            1986 Jeep J20
                            - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                            1982 Jeep J10
                            - Has become a Long Term Project.
                            1981 Jeep J20
                            - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                            1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                            - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                            ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                            Originally posted by Lindel
                            Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Eugene 1
                              304 AMC
                              • Feb 04, 2006

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
                              You also could use a Chrysler 2WD style 727 and convert an AMC 727 that came from a later model FSJ.
                              Same deal as the TH400, swap output shaft and tailhousing.

and just as easy to find!
                              JEEP
                              2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• Gambler68
                                Rabble Rouser
                                • Feb 29, 2004

What about a 998/999? Or are they 4WD trans..

I know the 401 Gremlin X's were offered with an auto option..just can't find the exact trans yet.

Just brain building something..
                                1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                                1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                                The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                                X