Bill wanted to see this so I am posting progress here.
It was 37 degrees here last night.
You never know here. We have had it freeze in August after an 85 degree day. It keeps you on your toes.
So after two full days of yard work and three absolutely mind numbing days of chemically stripping the mill scale off the stamps and their respective backing plates, I am ready for a quick sand and epoxy work to attach everything. It has actually been to cold to be ideal for epoxying the stamps down. So thats fine since I was not ready for glue yet. I made a muratic acid soaking reservoir to soak each piece. I had a few thunder storms come through so I covered it with plywood and ran for cover to keep the very welcome rain off till it passed. Realizing it was taking to long I built a second reservoir. I got everything down to bare metal this afternoon. Muratic acid is dangerous. It outgasses and fumes big time and can hurt you. I wore an acid apron, long acid gloves and a full face respirator. The suns warmth made the soak almost violent. Like a Yellowstone boiling mud pit. It was fun.
The soaking of two pieces. You can see the black mill scale. Eventually you could wipe it with a gloved finger and it would wipe clean to silver raw metal.
I neutralized everything with a generous soaking with sodium bicarb rinse water, then a fresh water rinse with a quick wipe and dry in the sun. As soon as the moisture was gone I did a fast wipe with must for rust for a protective coating to keep the flash rust from forming. It will preserve the metal till I can sand everything and get epoxy on it. I am a little concerned about light surface rust later on each stamp. I can't oil wipe it because of what it will do to the vinyl and I don't want to accidentally debond the epoxy later. I will figure it out.
Everything stripped and ready for clean up with a sander. These are the X model (lowers on the right side of the pic) and the uppers and lowers of Sadies standard door panels. The frames were not chemically cleaned. I only need them for aligning the stamp parts.
This is a rear door lower frame with the sanded embossing pieces in it. Perfect for getting it all straight when I epoxy them down.
After epoxy and placement, then that is when I remove the frame and this is what each stamp will look like.
I also made the rear rail stamps for the very back panels today. I will have a complete interior soon. I have a meeting in Spokane tomorrow. But I will be back at it asap. This is the very last manufacturing challenge for Sadie. I think I have it nailed.... IF it works that is.