Today I finished the work on the back side of the tailgate. I still need to bedliner it but I need to paint the front side first.
The last step on the back side was to seal the lap seam where the panel is welded together. I believe this is the main source of most of the tailgate rust out. So I masked the gaps off
and used some recently expired aircraft sealant to seal up the lap seam
Once it cures I will coat it in bedliner and it should keep water out for a very long time.
Once that was done I began the long slow tedious job of sanding the front side. I got things pretty straight so it seems it may not be all that bad. As things look I should be able to get it painted next week. I will probably have to bring it home for that because I don't want oversrray getting all over our metal shop. Hopefully the weather will be good for it since I will be doing that in my back yard.