• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Driftwood
    350 Buick
    • Jun 12, 2000

Saddles East, Over the Oregon Trail

I recently read a book my mother gave me a few years ago from her collection. The book was a Christmas gift from my grandmother, Mary, to her mother, Beda, in 1949. The book is titled, Saddles East, Over the Oregon Trail, and was authored Chaplain John Beard. John was Mary and Beda’s Chaplain at Mt Tabor Presbyterian Church in Portland OR. He held that position for 25 years. Although not a member, my own 1992 wedding was held at that church.
    After John’s retirement in 1947, he and his wife reverse traced the Oregon Trail on horseback. Not really knowing what a horse was, they bought two. It’s a simple quick read and I was thrilled to recognize most of the Oregon and Idaho towns their horseback journey took them through.
    What struck me most was the kind Hospitality they received along the way as they traveled through Oregon and Idaho during their ride to Fort Hall and beyond. Even though these states population continue to grow at a fast rate, it underscores the niceness its residents possessed then and still do even now.
    But I’m almost certain that if they could do the trip again it would be done in a Wagoneer!

1979 Wagoneer
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

I really enjoyed your post driftwood,...

sounds like a book for me,...simple.

I think you are one of those kind hearted people

that still occupy the area.

( funny comment about doing it in a wagoneer in present day....)

dave in NC
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

You see, they were met with hospitality because they are from the area. Now if they did it with California plates, things would have gone a little differently.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
      X