International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 08-31-2007, 11:08 AM

Steering box conversion

Currently I'm not yet a FSJ owner ... but I do have a question I hope someone can answer about the steering boxes that came on the J20/J10's.

I'm trying to put a J20 steering box on my 1979 CJ7 with power steering. In order to do so, I was told to buy the manual coupler for the end of the steering shaft. The problem is the input shaft on the J20 steering box is 3/4", 30 spline, while my steering coupler is 3/4", 36 spline. Normally, I was told, these will connect. Are all input shafts for J20s 30 spline?

How does the steering shaft connect to the box? The same type of bell coupler that the CJs use?

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Cowboy Up

The pre 1977 J20 steering box used a 36 spline input, I guess it was after '76 or '77 when they changed and used the same size inputs as the rest of the FSJ boxes. Maybe someone has that section of the rag joint assembly they'd sell you. Might do a post on the wanted section... and let us know how it goes for you.
Or possilby you can swap the whole steering shaft if the upper end is the same and the length is about the same (the FSJ shaft collapses and expands).
Old 09-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Can you tell me more about the pre-'76 boxes? Do you happen to know what is different between those and the '76-'79 boxes?

I guess from what you're saying they do have the 3/4" 36 spline input shaft.
Pitman arm end?
Mounting holes?
Ratio?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Cowboy Up

As far as I know it's just the input size that is different. But I haven't seen all the boxes, some folk say there were some boxes that only had three mounting bolts... never seen one of those and I've had rigs from '65 to an '83, trucks, cheros and waggys.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:31 AM

Sorry to rehash this, but is the input shaft size 3/4" 30 spline?