Anyone know if this EGR will fit our AMC, V8's? is that the VSD bolted to it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Anyone know if this EGR will fit our AMC, V8's? is that the VSD bolted to it?

Saw this today and I am wondering if it would work for my 401... that looks like a transducer next to the EGR... I know it says it won't fit when I plug in my car in the numbers but it says it fits the other AMC engines. I wonder if I could buy the EGR and engineer the transducer on my 401. HMMM....
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Not what you need. Only '89-up late models had a transducer style EGR valve.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Got it. I was hoping I just found a new $20 VSD valve to make my '79 engine smog compliant.

I guess I will keep searching for a VSD valve. Sigh....
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

I found an older style EGR with the same bolt pattern as ours on a V8 Dodge truck (80's model I think) that had a good diaphragm in it at the junk yard. It's usually easier to find a few of those than it is to find a Wag.
        David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
        83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
        10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

I seriously doubt they would know the difference vs. a non original part.
          The low numbers of old carbureted vehicles is a small percentage.
          I remember in '05 when I last smogged the '88 when it had a carb.
          The guy said he hadn't ever tested a GW before lol.

I'll throw it out there again. GM TBI system, lose almost all of the useless smog 'bits and benefits of EFI.
          Tony

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Yeah, I'm really tossing the EFI idea around. My wife would never let me spend $1400 on the Howell system and honestly, as good as a deal as that is, I would probably just go all the way and swap in an OBDII motor (Vortec 8100's are all over the place down here for well under $2k + a 4L80E for less than another grand). I think I could have it running with a EFI'ed 4 speed auto for just under $4k.

I think for now I will continue to fight all this stock smog configuration crap and hope for the best. Once I pass once I can start cleaning up the truck and getting it road worthy.

Thanks, guys for the inputs.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Here in Texas, cars 24 yrs and older are exempt from smog testing. The last time I had to smog it was the FIRST time that it passed on it's own. No tweaking or substitute tailpipe needed, (I worked at a shop that did state inspections) and that was because I installed the ProJection EFI.
              David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
              83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
              10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                Yeah, I'm really tossing the EFI idea around. My wife would never let me spend $1400 on the Howell system and honestly, as good as a deal as that is, I would probably just go all the way and swap in an OBDII motor (Vortec 8100's are all over the place down here for well under $2k + a 4L80E for less than another grand). I think I could have it running with a EFI'ed 4 speed auto for just under $4k.

I think for now I will continue to fight all this stock smog configuration crap and hope for the best. Once I pass once I can start cleaning up the truck and getting it road worthy.

Thanks, guys for the inputs.
                I agree, on $ reasons! That's why I went with DIY on mine. Still legal and smoggable. Wife was main reason I did the '90, she struggled with carb cold start routine lol.
                If you want specifics just ask, it isn't hard, and really cleans up the emissions junk factor.
                Tony

Comment

Working...
                X