International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 02-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Master Mechanic

Talking Yet another diesel conversion project (YADC)

Howdy,

I thought I'd introduce my new diesel Wagoneer project.

After reading as many of the threads about this as possible, I decided to go with the GM diesel for my tired Wagoneer (yeah, Brad W, this is it). I bought a 1984 Suburban that had had a 1995 6.5L installed by Peterbilt in Phoenix. The engine has about 40k on it. I'm also using the TH700R4 and hydroboost from the 'burb.

Bought a Transgo shift kit and assorted accessories, and a head gasket set and accessories. Lots of work yet to do, lots more $$ to spend.

Pics of the 'burb are -> here <- ... and I'll post more of the build as things progress. Pics of the Jeep the parts are going into are -> here <-.

Two questions (so far) for the experts in the group:

Are -> these <- CUCV headers worth the coin and effort? Will they fit the engine I have?

Anybody got a wiring diagram for the lockup torque converter control? I have the wiring and the little "PC board in a box", but I'd like to know what I'm getting into beforehand.

Cheers! I love new projects!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:44 PM

I would say those are the 6.2 manifolds on the motor now.I beleive they are the same.I myself would buy some flanges and build my own headers.To bad you dont have the turbo setup. Ihad a freind that put an aftermarket kit on a 6.2 and loved it.Good luck Hopefully by the end of the year I will be doing a Diesel conversion on mine.Im hoping to be able to get enough mileage from MyG-Wag with a diesel to be able to drive it everyday.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
FSJ Maniac

I believe it's only a two wire system. Since you have the donor vehicle I suggest you take the wiring from it, that would be the best thing.

I'm doing the same except I'm using a cummins 4BT. Good luck on your swap.

Last edited by COLOFIREMAN : 03-28-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

A couple people on the 6.5 forums have tried those headers and reported no difference. Take your stock manifolds and match-port them to the head and open them up at the flange and they will flow fine. Go with a dual exhaust, at least 2.5", with dual 3" being even better.

Go check out bowtieoverdrives.com. In the section where they have their lockup controllers they have a couple good wiring diagrams. Right now I have mine controlled by a simple switch on the dash.

Make sure the shift kit is for a diesel trans!! Diesel shift points are a lot lower than the gas shift points.
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

"CUCV headers worth the coin and effort? Will they fit the engine I have?"

They will fit, but I'm not sure of any benefits. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or email me. not an expert, but my dad and I have done three FSJ to 6.2's so we may have a few answers.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOFIREMAN
I believe it's only a two wire system. Since you have the donor vehicle I suggest you take the wiring from it, that would be the best thing.
I did grab all the wires and the little box. However, there are more than two wires - I read somewhere that hitting the brakes unlocks the converter, too. Just wanted to know how it all fits. Neither my Haynes or Chilton's manual has the circuit diagram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ
A couple people on the 6.5 forums have tried those headers and reported no difference. Take your stock manifolds and match-port them to the head and open them up at the flange and they will flow fine. Go with a dual exhaust, at least 2.5", with dual 3" being even better.
Excellent. I'll play with the die-grinder. I had planned large dual exhaust. I have a local shop that does fine work, much better than I could ever hope to do myself. They did my 454 exhaust, even called Flowmaster to make sure they tuned it for torque (per my request).
Quote:
Go check out bowtieoverdrives.com. In the section where they have their lockup controllers they have a couple good wiring diagrams. Right now I have mine controlled by a simple switch on the dash.
Will do. Thanks for the link!

<edit>Couldn't find a diagram...found lots of wiring kits that are interesting and of course would solve the problem.
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...BCAT&CATID=OA1

More info:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/700r...ing-30179.html
http://www.high-impact.net/700r4lockupcontrol.htm
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/lockup.htm
http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...o/700R4p1.html
</edit>
Quote:
Make sure the shift kit is for a diesel trans!! Diesel shift points are a lot lower than the gas shift points.

I hadn't known about that! How can you specify? I didn't see anything about that in the Transgo catalog. I only went with Transgo because it's the most-recommended one out there.

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited by budojeepr : 02-14-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Master Mechanic

Update and a new dream

Working on the heads...at least I know now which cylinders were involved in the head gasket failure.

JP Magazine had a nice writeup of Dakota Digital gauge clusters for FSJs, so I went a-lookin'. Here are the new objects of my desire:

Dakota Digital (via BJ's Offroad, if they can get 'em)
======================================
$110.95 DSL-2 Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface
$595.00 VFD3-73J-WAG 1973- 85 Jeep Wagoneer/ J-Trucks Instrument System
$ 99.95 GSS-2000 Universal Gear Shift Indicator Sending Unit
Total: $805.90

Dakota Digital also shows up on eBay...

Last edited by budojeepr : 09-13-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Master Mechanic

Diesel/700R4 shift kit application

Quote:
Well, the Transgo shift kit arrived yesterday. Seems top-shelf - VERY detailed instructions. And includes parts and instructions specifically for diesels. Whew! You had me worried for a while, there.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by budojeepr
<edit>Couldn't find a diagram...found lots of wiring kits that are interesting and of course would solve the problem.

It is under the tech articles -

http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/brake_.../diagram.shtml

Grab a connector and brake light switch from the wrecking yard and you can put together a lockup harness for about $5.

Glad to hear about the shift kit. Transgo is good stuff.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
It is under the tech articles -

http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/brake_.../diagram.shtml

Grab a connector and brake light switch from the wrecking yard and you can put together a lockup harness for about $5.
Sweeeet. Thank you!

I already got the harness from the donor - I'll just make sure I grab the brake light switch, too.

Quote:
Glad to hear about the shift kit. Transgo is good stuff.
There's going to be a learning curve on this one!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Master Mechanic

Old engine out!

Got the 258 out last night. Finally. After working on it for far too long. I've taken many an engine out of a vehicle, but none were as uncooperative as this one. Word to the wise: Don't bother trying to separate the engine from the transmission on this one. The top two bolts are impossible - right behind the head.

That was ... um ... Phase 4.

Phase 1: Find donor
Phase 2: Disassemble donor
Phase 3: Refurbish donor parts as required
Phase 4: Disassembly Wagoneer
Phase 5: Install hydroboost brake setup
Phase 6: Install donor parts

If you don't break it up into bite-size chunks you end up with yet another unfinished project in the garage!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

i love the spray foam insulation...hmmm wonder if it was for exhaust fumes or sound deading?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Master Mechanic

[quote=ClarkGriswald]Looks like some of it came apart on takeoff.[/quote

Looks more like it broke apart during re-entry. What a find!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Master Mechanic

...and the donor has left the premises.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:

Yeah, my wiring looked like that. There are only a couple wires that you need. I pulled off the connector at the bulkhead and removed all unnecessary wires at the connector. More than half of those wires can be eliminated.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
... There are only a couple wires that you need. I pulled off the connector at the bulkhead and removed all unnecessary wires at the connector. More than half of those wires can be eliminated.
Good idea.

It's looking much cleaner in there now that the vacuum brake booster is gone. I've almost got my hydroboost ready to install. Just need to shorten the lever/pushrod a bit. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Master Mechanic

Hydroboost conversion done

Hydroboost is modified for assembly...photos hosted courtesy of Photobucket...

Original hydroboost unit from Suburban:

Modification to mounting bracket - punched out studs and enlarged holes to 7/16". Also added four 7/16" holes for the Jeep spacer:

Detail of pushrod modification. I used the original Jeep end (the Suburban's link end had too big of a hole for the brake pedal's pin). I cut off the 'burb pushrod, threaded it with a 3/8-16 die, and did the same with the Jeep link end. Then I cut off a coupling nut from Ace Hardware (it was about 1/2" too long) and threaded them together. After test-fitting, I used Loctite (blue, medium-strength) to hold them together.

Total length from hydroboost mounting bracket: 5-3/16".

Test fit, outside:

Test fit, inside (note: those four nuts are a PITA):

So now, I'll clean it all up, paint it nicely, and reassemble. Once the engine is in, I'll just use the original 'burb hoses to make it work. I think they'll reach...

Hopefully I'll never have to touch it again.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Master Mechanic

Question for diesel swap experts

I'm getting close to the "put the engine in" stage. However, I'm also working toward converting to turbo from N/A. Got all the manifolds, now I need to get the turbo and pan.

DieselSJ, did you run a crossover pipe from driver's to passenger side exhaust?

If so, did it result in radiator clearance issues and/or transfer case crossmember location issues?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
...DieselSJ, did you run a crossover pipe from driver's to passenger side exhaust?

If so, did it result in radiator clearance issues and/or transfer case crossmember location issues?
Aha.

http://www.chaserace.com/exhaust/exhaustwagoneer.html

Old 04-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:

Yup.