International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 12-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Master Mechanic

Cruise Control vent box

FSJers,
I had this idea and when I searched the forum all I could find was stuff about malfunctioning cruise control. This post is about modifying the cruise control box to use as a vent box, not fixing your cruise control.

I have tubing at my diff vents that runs up to my engine bay and vents at the firewall. Of all the mods I have done, I still do not have a filtered vent box. I was reminded of this when I was cleaning out the mud dauber larvae from my vents the other night.

I am in the process of making a few modifications to my engine and I had the thought of eliminating the cruise control box altogether since I don’t use it. I am not sure what the non-cruise control Jeeps have, but on mine, the speedometer cable is two pieces. The first piece runs from the t-case speedo to the cruise box ( aluminum box ~4"x5"x6" mounted on the DS fenderwell). There are gears inside the box to translate the motion. The second cable runs from the cruise box through the firewall to the speedometer. I have two options to eliminate or modify the cruise box.

Option 1: Eliminate the Cruise Control box: In order to do this, I would need to either, run a single speedometer cable from the t-case to the speedometer, or figure out what the cables are doing inside the box and come up with a way to replicate this differently. My t-case is mounted further back than usual, more on that later, so I would definitely need a longer speedometer cable to run it directly from the t-case to the speedometer. I am not sure if it’s even possible, but it does not seem like an option I want to spend any money on. Also, the box is a nice aluminum enclosure that keeps the gears clean (kind of important).

Option 2, keep the box and disable the electrics. When I was opening the box to remove the electrics, I noticed the box had a vent already built in. It also has some nipples cast in place to install tubing. Hmmm…

Why not pull the electrics and use the cruise box as a vent box. It appears there are some vent boxes you can buy from Summit or other auto supplies and then modify, but it’s not something I really want to spend money on at this point. As an added bonus, diff lube can oil the gears in the vent of a rollover. How can you beat that, it’s free!

Perhaps someone on this great forum has a better idea. If so, I’d like to here what you think of this idea or how you terminated your diff vents. I don’t have as much time to devote to this list as much as I used to, so maybe I missed something. Thanks.