International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-17-2019, 05:44 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledtoast
I'm not entirely confident in my initial waggy flexplate digitization. I will redo it when it all comes apart and remeasure. That said, I have about .175" difference between my '90 wagoneer flexplate starter ring gear and the ATP Z337 (XJ AW4) flexplate starter ring, with the waggy ring being further inside the bellhousing.

Again assuming it is accurate, you would need about a .275" spacer between the AW4 torque converter and the 360 flexplate, that's the method I'm planning on going with.

The bolt pattern on the AW4 torque converter is not even close to the 360 hole pattern, but the holes can be drilled.

Not sure why, but I can't see the pic. But, thanks for the info.

I might just go with balancing the aw4 flexplate like my 360.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:40 PM
232 I6

The transmission cooler is falling apart so it's going to be replaced. Does anyone know the cooler width off hand? Hoping to use to OEM mounts/brackets.

UPDATE: Was able to measure...22.5" wide end to end.

Last edited by '89_Wagon : 10-29-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:26 PM
232 I6

Just curious why you want to keep your NP229 with this swap? If your AW4 came with a NV242 that would be superior transfer case in my opinion. Much more reliable torsen for the center diff instead of a VC, as well as a locked 4hi option, native bolt up to the AW4, and getting rid of the problematic vacuum shifter as well. Seems like a win win.
Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune
Old 10-28-2019, 07:03 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcl16
Just curious why you want to keep your NP229 with this swap? If your AW4 came with a NV242 that would be superior transfer case in my opinion. Much more reliable torsen for the center diff instead of a VC, as well as a locked 4hi option, native bolt up to the AW4, and getting rid of the problematic vacuum shifter as well. Seems like a win win.

My aw4 did not come with a transfer case. The NP229 does just fine for my needs... think family fun car with occasional snow usage. Also, converting to another transfer case seems to add more complexity to the swap, like linkage, speedometer, shifter ect. Keeping the NP229 may not be optimal, but the extra work to adapt the wagoneer to another transfer case just didn't seem worth it to me.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:01 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by '89_Wagon
My aw4 did not come with a transfer case. The NP229 does just fine for my needs... think family fun car with occasional snow usage. Also, converting to another transfer case seems to add more complexity to the swap, like linkage, speedometer, shifter ect. Keeping the NP229 may not be optimal, but the extra work to adapt the wagoneer to another transfer case just didn't seem worth it to me.

Similar reasons here for keeping the NP229. My vacuum shifter works well for now.

But...the vehicle speed signal for the TCU comes from the 242 VSS. I'm not sure yet how I will handle that. Originally I figured I'd just replace my speedometer with a not-cable driven unit, but I just fixed my cruise control and that gets it's speed signal from a speedometer cable in-line vss.

Either way I figure I will have to create a VSS, either for my cruise or for the TCU.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:17 AM
232 I6

Looking into transmission coolers... I'm thinking of getting something in the 20k-26k BTU range. Is that overkill or not enough?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:23 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledtoast
Similar reasons here for keeping the NP229. My vacuum shifter works well for now.

But...the vehicle speed signal for the TCU comes from the 242 VSS. I'm not sure yet how I will handle that. Originally I figured I'd just replace my speedometer with a not-cable driven unit, but I just fixed my cruise control and that gets it's speed signal from a speedometer cable in-line vss.

Either way I figure I will have to create a VSS, either for my cruise or for the TCU.

I could be wrong, but I think the VSS for the AW4 is near the output shaft of the AW4 and not the NP242. This might be different depending on the year. But, this would make sense to me based on the harness and transmission I have sitting in my garage. Technically, it's the trans output sensor.

Check out the pictures in this link.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tra...cation-243436/
Old 11-01-2019, 09:22 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by '89_Wagon
Looking into transmission coolers... I'm thinking of getting something in the 20k-26k BTU range. Is that overkill or not enough?

Overkill.

Plumb it through the radiator, for sure, and add a small cooler (think OEM sizing for a similar rig)
It's easy to go overboard here. What you want to remember is that a transmission has a designed operating temperature the same as an engine and that the lower tank of the radiator, lo and behold, is about that temperature.
Somebody chime in if they can show me wrong, but colder is not always better on a trans.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:35 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19
Overkill.

Plumb it through the radiator, for sure, and add a small cooler (think OEM sizing for a similar rig)
It's easy to go overboard here. What you want to remember is that a transmission has a designed operating temperature the same as an engine and that the lower tank of the radiator, lo and behold, is about that temperature.
Somebody chime in if they can show me wrong, but colder is not always better on a trans.

Do you know what thread size the fitting is on the radiator?

Edit: seems like 1/4 npt... Will test. I've read the aw4 runs hot but could I just run it with the radiator cooler only? I do not plan on towing but do plan on many drives through the white mountains with camping gear which has some steep grades

Last edited by '89_Wagon : 11-02-2019 at 07:55 PM.