International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Old 08-20-2016, 11:25 AM
350 Buick

There's some good reading on the Fitech website that has specifics on all the models they have.

The model I got for $995 has idle control, and a port on the handheld to hook a computer to. Not sure what for or how extensive it goes but probably more than I care to use (at the moment lol).

The $1195 model says has FULL tuning capabilities. Seems more for a modified hot rod type engine with supercharger, NO2, etc..... However I saw an ad on eBay from a guy how was selling it because he couldn't get it to run right on his mustank.

I also noticed they have fan hookups? This for an electric radiator fan? Or another kinds of fan. Mines a clutch fan or something. I got 2 different fans on my jeeps. Not sure what's better or what they even are but they're different from each other. Neither seems to be electric.

Also good point on the processor being mounted on the hot manifold. Something I definitely overlooked. Hope this is t a problem as heat and CPUs don't mix well. That's probably the first thing I'll do is take it apart and see if the have anything to address the heat. See if I can do something there.
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM
out of order

Hopefully it will be what you expect, and works well for you.

Take pics, and share your results for others.
It will be interesting to see how well the system functions outside of the recommendations FiTech lists.

Last edited by babywag : 08-23-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:54 AM
350 Buick

I'm so mad.

Placed the order on August 19th.

Was told fuel pump would be sent out on the 8th. 10th rolled around it wasn't sent out.

Called summit they said no idea when it will be sent out but it's estimated on 9/29 to be sent out. Just what the other company said in the first place. I told them the whole reason I placed my order was because they said it would be shipped out on the 8th and their competition was saying the 30th. I asked the salesman why he said " well we're better than they are I guess"...

Well 29th rolls around I get an email that says it will be estimated to ship out on 11/30. That's 2 months from now. Nearly 3 months later than I was told when I placed the order.

So I sit here out $1700+that I already paid with boxes full of stuff I can't even use, and no idea when it will come. They keep telling me that it's an estimated ship date and that I shouldn't expect it on that day. And that I can send all the parts back for a refund on my dime. That's like $100+ shipping to send it back.

They're like %600+ off the estimated ship date, and that's no promise. Sooooo unacceptable..... Estimate should come in around %10. %25 at the most....

I don't know what to do.... If I'd known all this I would have waited for the Holley that comes out tomorrow probably...
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 09-30-2016, 12:19 PM
out of order

So just cancel the fuel command center order, and do it yourself with parts you can readily buy from many many different online vendors.

You do not NEED the fuel command center, like I mentioned before it is way overkill, especially for a stockish 80's AMC 360.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:01 PM
350 Buick

I just wish they'd been up front about it. 3 weeks estimate turned into 15 weeks and "we don't even have a clue when it will ship" when I called to ask.

I could have gone a different route and be done with it 3 weeks ago....

So now my dilemma is

wait 8 more weeks (estimated) before I even begin?

Return it and go a different route altogether?

Buy an inline noisy fuel pump to get me by for an estimated 8+ weeks,
Then install fuel can center and sell used the fuel pump with 2-3 months use on it for like maybe 75% of new? If I can get that. What would be the best route for a decent pump to get me by costwise without getting total Chinga junk? Gotta be able to resell it. I already paid for the fuel can center and they did give me $140 credit back 3 weeks ago because I raised hell when they delayed the first time and they lied about when I'd receive it.

Go with the Intanker fuel pump like the one you made up I read about months ago. I was going to do that because of the noise complaints of the inline ones. I like the idea it's just that I spent so much time tweaking my new sending unit to get it just right that I didn't want to go back in there for a long long time.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 PM
out of order

Everything is likely drop shipped anyway.
fitech sets the eta not the person you ordered it from.
there are quiet pumps easily capable of getting the job done.
The $30 pump mounted on the frame rail of my '90 can barely be heard.

If you're dead set on the $600 command center pick up the phone and call some places, maybe someone has one in stock?

Or call Novak and buy their $250 in tank pump?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:41 AM
350 Buick

Took a few days to calm down and think.....

Decided to try to get a temporary fuel pump to get this thing going till I get the FCC sometime after December, then install that.

So yesterday I went to the local auto part stores to see if they had a decent pump to get my by. Explained I had an 87 amc 360 and it had a return line to the gas tank and needed a pump that would work.

One tried to sell me a 3-6lb pressure pump.

One told me he could do nothing without pump stats. I asked him what stats he needed he said gph. I said FitechFitech inline pump does 255lph and I needed one that has 58+lbs of pressure minimum. He said he could order a Fitech one. I left.

The other just rolled his eyes at me and said " that's what you get for using aftermarket parts". I left.

So I need to order a pump but not sure what to get. And I'm not sure what to do with the return line and my mechanical pump because with the FCC it works with the mechanical pump.

Can I get some advice there? The Fitech kit says you need to run a return fuel line or block off the return line from the TB. I have a return line but do I need a pump that supports that? Fitech says it has a fuel pressure regulator... Does that mean I just get any fuel pump over 60lbs and not worry?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2016, 11:57 AM
350 Buick

so get on summits or jegs website and order the correct one and you should get it in a couple of days rather going through a local parts store.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:41 PM
out of order

lph also isn't whole story.
How much do you want to spend and do you want to run a return line or not?

A generic e2000 pump can easily feed your engine.
You can just buy a corvette style filter with built in regulator if you don't want to run a return line.
Toss in some hose and fittings, install it, and done.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:13 PM
230 Tornado

So what ended up happening? I just ordered the 400HP version from Summit on Christmas night, it shipped today... I expect to have it in a couple days and I need to set up my fuel delivery.

I already have the Edelbrock performer intake, I want to use my supply and return lines for my 1990 GW.... I intend to get an in tank pump (build pump set up that Babywag built) and run power back to it...but having a challenge finding the right pump for what I want to do.....

Babywag...can you share details on pump you used in your tank?

Shagwag.... can you share update on your FITech install?

Anyone else have any comments to share I am ready to listen!
Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 AM
350 Buick

I'm working on the linkage right now. The pedal cable is too short I'll have to make a new bracket or a longer cable or something. Drill some holes or some chit in my brand new manifold....

Whatever add on thing linkage kit I bought 60001 don't do poop to help anything other than a new return spring.

Yay.

Should be sweet!

I like the baby wag way and would do it but I had some extra money to blow and got the fancy can thing. But a jeep buddy of mine said that it may have some problems at a 75degree angle for extended periods of time and I checked it out with Fitech and their tech agreed that it technically could but you'd have to be on your doors for that to happen.

I'll test that out when I get it going.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 AM
230 Tornado

I've been doing some research... to use an "in tank" pump for FITech, you have to produce 58 psi and flow rate of 255lph.....so I am trying to find a in tank pump that can match specs.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:19 PM
258 I6

LS engines take the same fuel pressure as the FiTech - so couldn't you just google for how much horsepower a given pump will support and specify the site "ls1tech.com" ..?
Really, any V8 fuel injection pump is going to be just fine. They've all got enough capacity to support 250 or 300 horsepower at the common EFI pressures.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:48 PM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcoll
I've been doing some research... to use an "in tank" pump for FITech, you have to produce 58 psi and flow rate of 255lph.....so I am trying to find a in tank pump that can match specs.

Pump doesn't set pressure, that is controlled by a regulator.
Like already stated there are plenty of pumps that should work.

If this is a stock or mildly modified engine, the 255lph is way overkill.
You do not NEED a 255lph fuel pump, but if you want one you're probably good for 400+hp.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:25 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagWagon
I'm working on the linkage right now. The pedal cable is too short I'll have to make a new bracket or a longer cable or something. Drill some holes or some chit in my brand new manifold....

Whatever add on thing linkage kit I bought 60001 don't do poop to help anything other than a new return spring.

Yay.

Should be sweet!

I like the baby wag way and would do it but I had some extra money to blow and got the fancy can thing. But a jeep buddy of mine said that it may have some problems at a 75degree angle for extended periods of time and I checked it out with Fitech and their tech agreed that it technically could but you'd have to be on your doors for that to happen.

I'll test that out when I get it going.

If you need a slightly longer throttle cable you can get one for a 6 banger Wag. I had to do that on mine.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:10 PM
230 Tornado

Just take a small piece of metal, cut it down, and drill two holes in it... I bought the GoStreet version from FITech and had the same problem with the throttle cable, just had to make an extension. Took about 10 minutes with angle grinder....... Seems to work well so far... I didn't do the Fuel Command Center, I went with an in-tank Walbro unit. Bought it at Napa, part E2515.....
Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 AM
360 AMC

You can get a universal Walbro pump to meet your needs. Use it either in the tank or external.

https://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-g...ine-fuel-pumps

I think these universal pumps are nearly 2" in diameter though so putting it in the tank may not work. You can use the lookup feature and order one for a gm car or truck if you want it in the tank.
* 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed
Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM
350 Buick

Old 02-15-2017, 05:30 PM
350 Buick

Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 PM
258 I6

You lose one point for using plumbing parts in your fuel system but you've got a few to spare. Nice install!
Can't wait to hear back about driving impressions, etc!