X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaber
    Dragin Az
    • Oct 17, 2003

So I have an Edelbrock "Torker" manifold that came in a deal I mad. I know they are more for the higher RPM range, but do any of you think this would work on that manny? Do you think it would still have poor lower RPM power? Should I just wait for a Performer int?

Jeff

'43 cj2a
    '51 Willys p/u
    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
    '68 Panel Delivery
    '74 CJ5
    '75 J-20 Wrecker
    '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
    '77 J-10 p/u
    '79 Cherokee
    '88 Grand Wagoneer
    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Mikel
      • Aug 09, 2000

Does my diesel qualify as MPFI?
      1969 M715 6x6
      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• will e
        Always Broke
        • Nov 16, 2001

THe torquer might work a little better since the air flow is more consistant compared to a dual plane. Not sure if you would suffer low end torque.. I forget what causes the loss of low end torque on them.
        82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Sunshine
          230 Tornado
          • Feb 10, 2007

Originally posted by will e
          The torquer might work a little better since the air flow is more consistant compared to a dual plane.
          What makes the Torquer more "consistant"? What do you mean by more consistant?

Originally posted by will e
          Not sure if you would suffer low end torque.. I forget what causes the loss of low end torque on them.
          Runner length-

The runner length is shorter on a single plane than a dual-plane intake generally speaking. Another issue you could also run into is the center cylinders on a single plane get more air than the outers if there is a big difference in the runner length especially at low RPM. Typically the single plane intakes have shorter center runner length and longer outer runner lengths.

Comment

• red mistress
            304 AMC
            • Sep 13, 2007

Fuel mgt system

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
            Sunshine, that is exactly what I plan on doing for my next 401.

Anyone know about the different stand alone fuel mgt systems?

I got pro-flow and been looking at Fast system.
            67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
            69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
            80 Honcho Sportside
            82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
            82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
            83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
            84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
            84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
            87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
              350 Buick
              • Mar 25, 2008

I just wanted to throw this in here... I you were going to junkyard a tbi from a chevy 350 could you use the stock dizzy from the donor if you swapped out the dizzy drive gear for your orignal.. I know that the stock dizzy in our rigs are gm parts but not sure what years. just htought it would save the headache of moding a vacuum dizzy if they were interchangable.
              '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• jaber
                Dragin Az
                • Oct 17, 2003

No, the GM dizzy will NOT fit. Our trucks, after '78 got Motorcraft (Ford) dizzys. The weight welding is the cheapest option...
                Jeff

'43 cj2a
                '51 Willys p/u
                '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                '68 Panel Delivery
                '74 CJ5
                '75 J-20 Wrecker
                '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                '77 J-10 p/u
                '79 Cherokee
                '88 Grand Wagoneer
                '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                  350 Buick
                  • Mar 25, 2008

so if you have already upgraded to the HEI would it be advisable to go back to the stock style and mod that or can the HEI style Dizzy be modded to work with the cheby 350 computer control. Also what model(s)/year(S) Cheb's are the best donors?
                  '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• Sunshine
                    230 Tornado
                    • Feb 10, 2007

You could always build a new base for a small cap HEI to fit the AMC motor-

Comment

• brubakes
                      350 Buick
                      • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by Sunshine
                      It looks like a production piece doesn't it?

you mean its not.
                      FSJless.... for now....

Comment

• Sunshine
                        230 Tornado
                        • Feb 10, 2007

Originally posted by brubakes
                        you mean its not.

Yea....but it's not-

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                          350 Buick
                          • Mar 25, 2008

could you just pull the cap off a HEI dizzy and mod it as if you would the stocker or does is it best to go back to the stock dizzy and get a traditional coil. I would imagine that since the hei is basically just a standard dizzy with a coil as a hat that it would be the same process. But of course just because something seems one way doesn't mean it is.... Also I was looking at busted jeeps 360 junkyard tbi install and they mention that you want to go with a 4bbl intake by eddlebrock or offenhauser and dump your stock 2bb/4bbl intake. Linky: http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/gmtbi.asp Is this true? WHat is the recomended intake for us DD guys? I have been considering the Torker but i have to admit that this is more over the fact that it looks cool more so that any clue to the performance gains.

Another thing I have read up on is this site here: http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/tbi.html
                          This write up is saying that as long as you are close to the same displacement that the stock tbi computer should be able to adapt to your engines needs as long as the sensors are in place (as long as the important sensors are in place which if you follow the busted jeep's write up on the 360 they are) This guy looks like he wrote the article with only GM motors in mind but the basic principle would be the same.... I would think? Unless I am missunderstanding this article you could essential get away with not reprograming the chip for your moderate use fsj? Am I off base here?

I have a set up from Custom EFIs coming to me but it bypasses the ESC and has been working for a number of years on an 87 waggy. But I have two other jeeps one with 360 and one with 258 powerplants and I intend to upgrade the other two with ECS included once I get a feel for the current one. So please excuse all the drawn out questions just trying to suck all the info i can out of everyone.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                            • Mar 20, 2005

I *think* you can put the 8 pin ignition module (needed for timing control with the GM ECM) into an HEI. Not sure, as I've never had an HEI.

Otherwise, use your stock distributor (mechanical advance welded and vac advance disconnected) with the 8 pin module and the GM coil and you basically have an HEI ignition, but now with timing control.
                            Ethan Brady
                            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Billygoat
                              304 AMC
                              • Mar 16, 2004

The Edelbrock MPFI kit has a Mallory dizzy in it, all set up for ignition control. At 1 time I was trying to get 1 for use with a ingnition control set up. Edelbrock gave me the part number for the dizzy, but I could not find a place that could order it, then I found out how easy it was to mod mine and dropped it.

Maybe BJ's could get it sorted out and offer just that dizzy for people that need/want it for custom set ups.

Comment

• brubakes
                                350 Buick
                                • Jun 25, 2009

The more I read this and other threads on the subject and FSJ Guys very informative web pages the dumber I feel.
                                FSJless.... for now....

Comment

Working...
                                X