• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fishermike
    232 I6
    • Jun 18, 2000

Factory sunroof retrofit?

Has anybody out there pulled a factory power sunroof out of a Grand Wag and successfully transplanted it? I can get a decent one for $150 from my local yard...it would be mighty nice! (btw, that wagonmaster guy's site says he can get new factory originals professionally installed "at cost" for like $1000. Ouch! And I think that's only for his customers!)

I've installed manual (pop-up) type sunroofs before. What I'm concerned about in this case is clearance inside the roof where the panel slides back (under the luggage rack), as well as proper drainage. I seem to recall there being drains somewhere on the factory-installed ones. Anybody with one ever notice how/if these work?.

Help me! I've fallen and I can't get up...from under my Jeep! Thanks!

------------------
    -Mike
    '85 GW "Cherry Bomb"
    -Mike<br />\'85 GW <br />360/727/229/44/20/3.31<br />Flowmaster<br />\'98 Grand Cherokee<br />Loaded<br />\'86 Samurai<br />no top, no doors...
  • JERRY88GW
    232 I6
    • Jun 09, 2000

I have the 'factory' sunroof. I recently got it fixed. Parts for it are expensive since that model sunroof went out of production a long time ago. Considering what I paid to get it fixed. $1000 seems about right for a new one. If you can get one for $150 that's great. Make sure it works.

There are four drain tubes that come out from the pan the window slides into. From there they are routed inbetween body panels to the bottem of the cab where they drain out.(OH, the window slides under the ceiling not above so you don't have to worry about the luggage rack.)

Comment

• Ralph
      Third Member
      • Apr 11, 2000

I looked one over pretty carefully while helping a guy replace his headliner, and the entire roof section is different (so are the headliner boards). It might be necessary, or at least easier, to use the entire roof from the donor vehicle.
      We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• fishermike
        232 I6
        • Jun 18, 2000

Thanks for the info, guys. Since my PO just put a new headliner in, and the body and paint are good, I might just leave well enough alone. Maybe just a manual pop-up if anything. Not stylish, but functional and hard to fup uck too badly (knock wood)!
        -Mike<br />\'85 GW <br />360/727/229/44/20/3.31<br />Flowmaster<br />\'98 Grand Cherokee<br />Loaded<br />\'86 Samurai<br />no top, no doors...

Comment

Working...
        X