Strange noise, QT1339 w/ 2wd conversion any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killer whale
    232 I6
    • Jul 27, 2005

Strange noise, QT1339 w/ 2wd conversion any ideas?

So I have been restoring a 1978 J-10. On the bright side, im nearly finished. However, I have left this strange problem till last hoping it is something I can fix, but dreading that I will have to replace the entire case.

So, my transfer case has a loud, pulsating gear noise that gets louder the faster you drive. Sounds a lot like mudder tires on pavement and the same gear noise you get from backing up fast in a car. The noise is 100% comming from the transfer case. Also, the speedometer bounces badly from 0 to 40 as you drive. the noise pulsates...waa waa, waa waa, waa waa etc.... ?
    I have the 2wd conversion kit w 16% od, and am thinking that the rear output shaft may be bent? amazingly, the guy I bought the truck from said the noise was normal, and he had been driving for 6 months without any changes. He said the noise started when they installed the 2wd conversion kit. Also, there is play in the output shafts, as well as in the whole drive train.
    I am very new to this type of rebuild, and would appreciate any advice/ experiences.
    thanks!

[ August 26, 2005, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: killer whale ]
    1978 J10 - AMC 360 -TH400 -QT
  • MrFurious
    258 I6
    • May 05, 2005

Some whine is normal with the QT. Mine's bone stock and is definitely audible in the passenger compartment. What you're hearing is the sound of the chain going around the gears (just like you hear on a bicycle or motorcycle with chain drive).
    God, Guns, & Jeeps....what else is there?
    Jim B.
    1979 CJ-5
    304 V8 - T150 - Dana 20
    D30/D44 Wide-Trac axles w/4.10 gears
    Ox Locker in rear & rollin on 35's

Comment

• letank
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 03, 2002

you should not hear any noise, something is loose or bent.....

Do you have fluid in there....

some play is stock... because of the 10 splines... wearing out....

too much slack in the chain.... pull the inspection port (after you drain the case), and use a screwdriver to push on the chain... no more than 1.5 to 1.75, if i remember
      Michel
      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

The QT is very quiet, except for chain jumps, stick-slip etc.

Pinion bearing? It can be very hard to localize sounds, and the drivetrain can conduct sound so you'd swear a noise was coming from where it's not.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• killer whale
          232 I6
          • Jul 27, 2005

I checked the qt fluid the first day I had the truck. It was low. I put more in and the noise became slightly quieter. I am so confused by this I think I am going to RECORD the sound and post it here for you smart guys to listen to.
          Thanks again for your help.
          1978 J10 - AMC 360 -TH400 -QT

Comment

Working...
          X