• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeep Hero
    232 I6
    • Jan 21, 2010

Boobie Grill Wiring Harness Removal

Need some advice.

I am removing a Boobie Grill, but can't get the grill mounted turn signal light pigtails to unplug from the harness on either side.

I would rather not have to cut the harness; would rather disconnect the plugs without damaging them.

Is there a hidden lock within the factory connector that I need to disengage?

I have tried wiggling the plugs back and forth, pulling on them, etc, with no success.
    JeepHero
    1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
    1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    1981 Jeep J20
    1977 Jeep Cherokee S Wide Track (Rusty Blue) (newly acquired)
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

The wiring for the bOObie parking lights and the regular parking lights is the same plug with no latch. Must be time for some PB Blaster.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• lycanthrope
      258 I6
      • Mar 26, 2007

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
      The wiring for the bOObie parking lights and the regular parking lights is the same plug with no latch. Must be time for some PB Blaster.
      not always. i'm working on the wiring for swapping the boobie onto my '76 j10. as the j10's didn't come with the boobie, the plugs are different. the boobies have a third wire for grounding. at least that is how i read the electrical schematics.

but, for the OP, i just used a small flat blade screwdriver between the plugs to loosen the connection, and they pulled apart.
      Last edited by lycanthrope; 03-06-2011, 12:58 PM.
      tommy
      '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
      '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
      '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
      '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
      '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

• InfiniteWisdumb
        258 I6
        • Mar 11, 2009

Originally posted by lycanthrope
        not always. i'm working on the wiring for swapping the boobie onto my '76 j10. as the j10's didn't come with the boobie, the plugs are different. the boobies have a third wire for grounding. at least that is how i read the electrical schematics.

but, for the OP, i just used a small flat blade screwdiver between the plugs to loosen the connection, and they pulled apart.
        X2, I wiggled mine apart.
        FSJless for now
        Looking for an M715

Comment

• Jeep Hero
          232 I6
          • Jan 21, 2010

Boobie Grill Wiring Harness Removal

All,

Thanks for the advice.

I was successful in disconnecting the pigtails today. The wiring harness-side plug has a perfect thick lip at the back, with just enough space to get a pair of big slip-joint pliers between the lip and the femail plug on the pigtail (set to the wide setting, which just grabbed the plug enough without squeezing it too tightly and cracking it). Had to put some significant effort into wiggling the pliers to pull them apart - inside of plug was filled with dust. They finaly came apart with no damage - success.
          JeepHero
          1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
          1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief
          1981 Jeep J20
          1977 Jeep Cherokee S Wide Track (Rusty Blue) (newly acquired)

Comment

• fulsizjeep
            Señor Jackhead
            • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by lycanthrope

but, for the OP, i just used a small flat blade screwdriver between the plugs to loosen the connection, and they pulled apart.
            Have you looked beyond the schematics at the plugs? They are the same whether it is bOObie lights or standard parking lights. Ground lines in the harness do vary by year though.
            Flint
            Ran when parked.
            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• EBCIII
              327 Rambler
              • Oct 25, 2010

No Boobs? What are you looking to run? Beale.

Comment

• lycanthrope
                258 I6
                • Mar 26, 2007

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                Have you looked beyond the schematics at the plugs?
                yes.

i was swapping the grille, and the original parking lights were two-terminal plugs and the boobie grille parking light plugs were three-terminal plugs. didn't fit.

boobie grilles were '74-'78, i think, so not a year difference('76 j10).

schematics show three-terminal plugs and wires for models 14 and 15 (wagoneers {with boobie grille}). all the other models are two-terminal plugs and wires (standard parking lights).

so, if you want to put a boobie grille on a jtruck or cherk, it looks like some modification is necessary.
                tommy
                '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
                '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
                '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
                '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
                '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

• Lindel
                  Perfesser of Jeepology
                  • Jun 15, 2000

I would imagine it's more of a Waggie vs Cherk/truck sort of thing, since only the waggie's got the boobie grilles.
                  Jeep Grounds
                  RRV Homepage
                  Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer
                  AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                  1999 Wrangler Sport
                  4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

Working...
                  X