• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eaglejeeper
    232 I6
    • Nov 02, 2008

DASH PAD REMOVAL

I just removed a dash pad from a 1981 Cherokee for use in a 1981 J10.
    For anyone that will do a similar removal, I am going to post a brief description of what is required.

First the windshield has to be removed.
    Second, there are 6 bolts thru the front lip of the dash pad to remove with hex wrench.
    Third, and this is not easy, there are two nuts on the side wings, on each side, that have to be removed. The instrument cluster has to be out and the glove box removed.
    Fourth, there are 6 more nuts along the inside (cab side) of the pad that have to be removed from the underside....these are not easy to get to.
    But, once all are removed you can joggle out the pad.
  • threepiece
    350 Buick
    • Sep 17, 2005

Originally posted by eaglejeeper
    First the windshield has to be removed.
    Apparently it doesn't, I bought a 1975 J20 twenty years ago that was missing the dash pad. The owner said he just recently sold it to someone who removed it. Nothing was molested including the seal and it was obvious the windshield was not removed. I guess a special made driver was used to loosen the screws.
    FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
    We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
    We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
    Resistance is not futile yet.
    Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

I can see getting it out without removing the windshield but getting the bolts back in with it and the gasket in place would be a beal rich.

One wonders if the pad front edge was cut around the dash bolt washers or if they were backed out enough to get a blade under the square washers to trim the pad around the bolts.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Working...
      X