Real Solution For Drum-To-Disc Brakes On Dana 44 Rear Axle (w/E-Brake Capability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Military Jeeper
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 19, 2008

Real Solution For Drum-To-Disc Brakes On Dana 44 Rear Axle (w/E-Brake Capability)

Fella's,

I've read through all these posts tonight and came to the conclusion that there isn't a solid answer (without a doubt that is....) of a bolt-on/weld-on kit for the Waggy 44 Rear axle (I have an 86 centered Rear D44) to include having the ability of a real EMERGENCY BRAKE.

Can someone shed some light on these items? This is my ultimate goal:

- Capable Rear Brakes (decent piston size/rotors)
    - A real emergency brake cable integrated into the rear brakes
    - Where in the WORLD can I get these items at?

Here are the post that I searched on tonight: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/searc...earchid=357923

Thanks for everyone's help, it's greatly appreciated.
    Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA | 304/T18A/D20 | Waggy D44 F/R In-Progess | Mastercraft Seats |

Previous 4x4's:
    98 Tacoma Ext Cab "Supercharged"
    88 4Runner "1-Ton SAS"
    95 YJ
    03 Rubicon

If you own a Jeep and serve in or are a Veteran of the U.S. Military come visit us at: MilitaryJeepers.com
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

There are several kits that you can find online. In order to have an e-brake, you will have to get a kit that has the Cadillac Eldorado calipers. They will most likely add an extra $150-$200 to the kit.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
      Hey watch this...
      • Nov 19, 2004

Here is one on ebay for about $550 shipped. That a decent price for a kit with e-brakes...

Comment

• Dmntxn77
        Hey watch this...
        • Nov 19, 2004

$570 here... This one looks like a real nice kit.

Comment

• incommando

I bought a Steeltech kit for one of my Commandos about 10 years ago. It was a simple & effective swap.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2008, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• mathman
            350 Buick
            • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by Military Jeeper
            - Where in the WORLD can I get these items at?
            David
            '78 J-10; '78 J-20 8400GVW
            '79 Cherokee
            '50 Willys (not Willy's) 4WD Pickup

Comment

• Dmntxn77
              Hey watch this...
              • Nov 19, 2004

I didnt even know that they carried a disc conversion kit. Its a VERY good price considering it comes with everything the others have plus the braided stainless hoses...

Member price with coupon code is only $570

Comment

• Military Jeeper
                230 Tornado
                • Mar 19, 2008

Ya I saw all those sites in my search............but from what I read not many people used them, and I couldn't find out if they actually worked. I've read a lot of negative articles about Caddy El Dorado setups.

Has anyone installed any of these kits listed successfully, and real life experience from Waggy Disc Brake converters?
                Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA | 304/T18A/D20 | Waggy D44 F/R In-Progess | Mastercraft Seats |

Previous 4x4's:
                88 4Runner "1-Ton SAS"
                95 YJ
                03 Rubicon

If you own a Jeep and serve in or are a Veteran of the U.S. Military come visit us at: MilitaryJeepers.com

Comment

Whichever kit you go with the parts are all the same. The caddy calipers are the same across them all. I've seen lots of people on here run them and the only issue I've ever seen is that you really need to set the parking brake once in a while because the calipers don't automatically adjust like standard front ones do.

What else is there to know? The BJs kit is a bit more but it looks to include the most stuff, hardware, LOADED calipers, ebrake brackets, etc.

I used the Streetrod kit and standard front calipers and it works good. I wouldn't mind having a parking brake sometimes, though.

What more do you want to know?

aa
                  1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• pb
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 28, 2003

I used Steeltech plates and some of the smaller caddy calipers w/ebrake. I used the existing ebrake cable and made an extender for it so it would work - where the individual ebrake lines connect to the one cable that pulls both together. I've attached a drawing. The dark shaded areas are removed and that is what the cable ends fit into.

They work fine although my brake light comes on due to using the disc/drum prop valve.

You do have to use the ebrake frequently to keep them adjusted.
                    Attached Files
                    Paul
                    1975 Wagoneer DD
                    360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• Towtruck
                      350 Buick
                      • Oct 11, 2001

Someone suggested that I document a brake installation on an AMC-20, so here it is. I used most of the parts recommended by Scotty...One inch thick standard duty K1500 front rotors (redrilled with smaller lug holes), the later (smaller) metric Eldorado calipers with integral emergency brake, and A&A weld on brackets

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ght=amc20+disk

Here are two links (with photos) to my AMC20 swap (one for the brakes, one for the e-brake cable mods). It's virtually the same process for a Dana, and there are some threads that speak specifically to the Dana swap. You can purchase all the parts...perfectly rebuilt and loaded El Dorado calipers, weld on brackets, hoses, rotors for less than $350 if you gather them up on e-bay and at local parts stores. But going this route does take a little fabrication...grinding the A&A brackets to fit, redrilling bolt holes in the rotors, and welding on the brackets. I'm not sure if the kits have bolt-on or weld-on brackets, but that's a key point. If you have to weld anyway, I'd buy the parts individually and make my own kit. If you can get a bolt on set up for $500, buy it.

As for negative comments about El Dorado brakes...they mostly come either from folks who don't have them, who attempt to use rusted junk yard calipers, who don't understand how the caliper functions, or are too cheap to buy units with integral e-brake. (I will say that if you want to get away from an e-brake cable on the caliper for off road, then that might be an issue, although if you mount the unit over the spring, even that looks like a non issue).

The El Dorado units come in two sizes...the early units have the larger diameter pistons and use a BIG chevy front rotor....guaranteed you will lock up the rears before the OEM fronts, and you'll want an adjustable porportioning valve. The smaller (later)metric units are sized perfectly for a street driven/light offroad vehicle...no mods to porportioning valve, master cylinder, residual valve...they work right out of the box and they work extremely well...but you can't be stupid about how they're designed.
                      Last edited by Towtruck; 03-20-2008, 08:26 AM.
                      J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• Military Jeeper
                        230 Tornado
                        • Mar 19, 2008

Thanks TowTruck for the gouge........as well as the other folks. Time for me to do some shopping now.

Previous 4x4's:
                        88 4Runner "1-Ton SAS"
                        95 YJ
                        03 Rubicon

Comment

• billyrb
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          • Aug 15, 2001

They do work, and it is truly bolt on. I'm running the disc conversion we sell on both of my FSJ's
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          [email protected]
                          Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

I have also seen brakets for Nissan 300zx (80's) rear calipers w/e-brake and Geo Tracker front rotors on e-bay. There have been threads on Pirate about this swap.
                            David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                            83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                            10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• JeepNOFEAR
                              350 Buick
                              • Nov 09, 2004

I've heard that rear e-brake set up off of a rodeo dana 44 will bolt on to our dana 44s.
                              76 Cherokee Camo(Parts)
                              76 Cherokee Camo 401/TH400/Dana300/HD44/14bolt/36s
                              77 Cherokee blue 360/T18/D20/33s
                              1969 AMC Javelin SST 390
                              1968 AMC Javelin SST 290 (Parts)

Comment

Working...
                              X