• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeepsAndGuns
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 18, 2003

16197427 PCM swap

I just swapped my old 1227747 ecm for a newer 16197427 pcm after reading about it on binderplanet. I must say, wow, there is quite a diffrence!
    My idle is smoother and better. The engine sounds smoother and better, accel is better and smoother, steady cruise is smoother and better, heavy and wot accel is better and stronger, even decel is better and stronger.
    Pretty much under all conditions my engine runs better, smoother, and the "butt" dyno even feels like I picked up a couple more ponies. All I did was input my timing table from my old 7747 tune into the new bin file and did a little smoothing of the fuel maps and went for a spin. I am on my 5th data log and have almost got my fuel maps where they need to be.
    The pcm splits up the fuel into two diffrent maps, one for near ilde, one for off idle, same thing with spark tables. There is a idle and off idle table. Also if using with a manual trans or non computer controlled auto, there are also a few changes you need to make to turn off the auto trans controlls. I also turned off all the trans error codes and turned off the egr.

The 7427 pcm is found in most 94-95 trucks and vans with the automatics. They were used with the 4L60E, and 4L80E electronicly shifted transmissions. There is also about 4 times as much code in the computer as the old 7747, so theres a little more to learn. But I would reccomend anyone with a 7747 system looking for the next step, to look at swapping in this one. You can re use your current harness, just remove the pins from the old 7747 connectors, and put them in the 7427 connectors.

Another nice thing about this computer, is it can run multi port (batch fire) with just a small mod to the ecm and a little tweaking to the programming.
    79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
    93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.
  • FSJ Guy
    • Mar 20, 2005

What's that? Oh, did I hear you say you were going to do a writeup for us?!
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
      • Mar 20, 2005

Does it give a better (faster) datastream than the '7747 ECM?
      Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• Revhendo
        232 I6
        • Sep 11, 2011

Crap, what? I don't even have my 7747 system up and running yet and there's something better? Of course there is. Does this use the same chip burner and whatnot?
        Rev.

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
        I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
          All Makes Combined
          • Jun 30, 2003

[content deleted - I no longer support MS]
          Last edited by PlasticBoob; 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM.
          Rob
          1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
          Click for video

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 18, 2003

No need to do a writeup, theres plenty of info out there already. I am just posting up about it so those who dont go to other sires will know about this swap.
            Heres some good info:

Decided to knock the dust off this old project! Back in about 05 or 06 I worked with a few guys on thirdgen doing an upgrade from the old reliable ECM 8746/7747 to the later 95-95 TBI truck PCM. These are the same PCM I just used in the MPFI install. There are several versions used in TBI...

Heres a good wiring diagram showing what pin to hook where, when you remove the old 7747 plugs and put the pins in the 7427 plugs. I just printed out that first picture

I stole this information from Dave W. Writeup on CK5 http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270253 He also got information from Thirdgen.org to start and I think the origanal was written by Fast355 http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tbi/4 ... g-tbi.html Since I'm wiring one up starting today I figured I post up here the one Dave has added notes to. dave w Notes and information on converting to a TBI PCM

Here is another good thread with some more info about the 16197427 pcm, along with wiring diagrams, tunerpro defination files, and bin files.

16197427 PCM Information $0DThis PCM was used in 1994 - 1995 C/K Truck, Van, S-10, 4.3L, 5.7L & 7.4L The 16197427 came in many trucks and can run $31, $0D, $0E, $E6 mask. Click Here for thread on changing a 1227747 ECM to 16197427 PCM Pin by Pin! Click Here for long thread discussing the 7747 to 7427 swap! *Work in Progress*

As for the chips. Yes, you can use the same 27SF512 EEPROM chips that you would use with the 7747. No need to soder in jumper wires to make the chip work like you do with the 7747. The 7427 is already a 28 pin chip.
            The 16197427 uses what they call a "memcal" unit. You have a few options. You can do like I did and buy the moates G1 adapter (easyest way to do it, no sodering required) I bought this package with the zif and chips.

Or if you already have chips and a zif socket, you can get it by itself.

Another option would be to cut off the old chip from the memcal unit and soder in place either a 27sf512 eeprom, or a dip socket, as outlined here:

It's easy. Step 1. Remove the old chip. Step 2. Install and Solder the DIP Socket Step 3. Install the 27SF512 Chip Step 4. Install the Memcal Cover. Step 5. Program 27SF512 Chip using Moates.Net HDR1 Memcal Header http://www.moates.net/hdr1-memcal-heade ... l?cPath=64"

If you simply soder in a eeprom into the memcal, then you will need this little jewl to program it:

I have one and find it rather handy, as it allows you to read the bins from the stock chip in the memcals.

And, the whole site put up by eagle mark is a great forum for fuel injection addicts such as myself. Lots of good info, you can spend lots of time looking, searching and reading.

Fuel Injection Conversion and tuning information and diagnostics GM ECM!
            Last edited by JeepsAndGuns; 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM.
            79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
            Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
            93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
              • Mar 20, 2005

Interesting. Did you stay with the 7747's speed density or did you add a MAF and/or IAT sensor?
              Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 18, 2003

I added no extra sensors and still use the original map sensor. This pcm was run on a tbi truck, and all the tbi trucks (I have seen) were speed density.
                I did have to change the knock sensor, as they changed them.
                You also have to remove the esc module also, as its built in to the memcal on these pcm's. You simply remove the esc and connect the knock sensor directly to the pcm.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                  • Mar 20, 2005

And I just recently got a tune that gives me good power AND fuel economy.

Well, sort of, on the fuel economy. It's double digits at least! LOL!

And now you're telling me that there's something even BETTER! :-/
                  Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jul 18, 2003

Yep. You should definately give it a try. I highly reccomend it!
                    With a few mods to the code, this pcm can controll electric cooling fans, and datalog a wideband 02. The wideband cant be used to controll the fuel, but it can be displayed in the datastream right along with all the other data. I plan on added one for just cause sake..lol.
                    And to answer your question, I forgot. Yes, it datalogs at a much faster rate. Its pretty mutch instantly. I can turn the key on, and move the throttle and watch the needle on the tps guage move with my foot.

If your using tunerpro rt, just go over there and download the defination and datastream files and check them out. Make sure you get the tunerpro 5 versions. The two most common ones are 0E and 0D.
                    0D is for light duty vans and trucks with the 4L60E trans, and 0E is for heavyer duty trucks and vans with the 4L80E trans.
                    I am using a 454 bin, so mine is 0E, but they are both pretty much identical when displayed on tunerpro.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

Looks like a project for next year for me. Keep us updated!
                      Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jul 18, 2003

Next year? Pfft...
                        I just picked up two of these at the local pull a part for cheap. If ya want one let me know, I will cut ya a deal.
                        Wont take but mabey 30-40 min to swap all the pins from your old connectors to the new ones.

Comment

• Revhendo
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 11, 2011

Originally posted by JeepsAndGuns
                          Next year? Pfft...
                          I just picked up two of these at the local pull a part for cheap. If ya want one let me know, I will cut ya a deal.
                          Wont take but mabey 30-40 min to swap all the pins from your old connectors to the new ones.
                          Man I hate you. Now I gotta go back to the junkyard.......
                          Rev.

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
                          I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                            • Mar 20, 2005

Remember, it's already October!

I need to keep the truck fully operational during the winter. That's my excuse as to why I still have the dumb thing and why I bought brand new tires for it a few years ago!
                            Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                              Does it give a better (faster) datastream than the '7747 ECM?
                              A quick check online returned 8192 baud vs. 160 is this true?

I just picked one up @ the yard today, was the only one left in the truck.
                              Luckily the chip was laying on the floor.
                              For whatever reason the only pull it yourself yard around me you rarely find a computer, and 99% time if you do someone has robbed the chip from it.

JeepsAndGuns, are you using this on a 360 or a 401?

The one I found was a 16197427 BJYL pretty sure the truck was a v8?
                              Tony
                              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                              X