• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlacksheepGW
    232 I6
    • Mar 07, 2009

Power steering pump question (bear with me) **update**

I searched the forums and didn't quite find an answer to what I am dealing with.

Cliffs:
    • High pitch noise from power steering pump
    • Low fluid, so I added some fluid
    • Noise still present
    • Wife turns steering wheel, PS belt gets massive slack in both directions but is nice and tight with NO steering wheel turns
    So, is it a bad PS pump, loose brackets (they seem tight), or just a bad belt? The steering is fine, just the noise, which I believe is coming from the belt grabbing the pulley. Any input is well appreciated.

Thanks in advance:

Bradley
    Last edited by BlacksheepGW; 08-25-2009, 10:10 PM.
    1984 Grand Waggy
    AMC 360
    TF727
    Soon to be NP208
    31"s via BFH and Sawzall
  • andy d
    Shade Tree Shaman
    • May 06, 2000

Is the belt tight?
    \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• wickedwagon767
      304 AMC
      • Dec 26, 2005

check the belt for cracks on the inside (contact area). If the belt looks suspect, replace it.

I'm thinking since its tight when the wheel is not being turned and the belt gets slack during turning that the pump is probably bad
      Last edited by wickedwagon767; 08-16-2009, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Lambrewski
        350 Buick
        • Jun 05, 2003

Only takes seconds to fry a pump without fluid.....I split a ps hose this week and the pump was smoking by the time I pulled off the road.....replaced it today.
        '78 Chief S W/T 360cid +.030 & RV cam, AGR steering gear, '80's Astro Van hydroboost, '84 GW steering pump, Edel elec fuel pump, TFI, MSD 6A, MSD eCore 48Kv coil, 8.5mm Spiral, TH400 w/ TCI +2qt pan & shift kit, BW1339, open D44's w/ 3.54's, EDL1406 w/ off-road, 4" spring lift, Rancho, 15x10 MT Classic Locks w/ 33x12.5 Toyo OpenCountry M/T

Comment

• BlacksheepGW
          232 I6
          • Mar 07, 2009

So, after adding some ATF, it is REALLY responsive. So hmm..

Well, looking around and checking the belts (finally), the belt felt loose. The bolt holding the bracket on the smog pump was about to fall out. So, after tightening that, and re-tightening the belt, the power steering pump is loose on its bracket. Its a weekend job, but atleast it provides some closure to this issue.

Now, what OTHER bolts are loose?
          1984 Grand Waggy
          AMC 360
          TF727
          Soon to be NP208
          31"s via BFH and Sawzall

Comment

• BGW
            350 Buick
            • Jan 02, 2009

edit: ooops, never mind. My power steering pump burned out very quickly when the PO started using ATF in it (a few days before he sold it to me, he changed to fluids), but it must have just been a faulty pump because even the owner's manual says it's fine to use (ATF that is).
            Last edited by BGW; 08-27-2009, 09:00 AM.
            1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

I don't. I have been doing it for 30 years and never had a problem with it.
              Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
              Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• vintagetrks
                304 AMC
                • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by BGW
                I'm sure you know, but it's not good to put ATF in the power steering system.
                Maybe in a 91 GW it's not a good thing to put ATF in your power steering pump. But in an older vehicle say a 76 waggy the really is'nt much differance between ATF and power steering fluid. Back in the "OLDEN Days" they were one in the same.
                New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
                My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
                90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• drduckman
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 12, 2007

I have always used ATF in the power steering, I thought that most of that special marked power steering fluid was just for marketing ATF in a smaller bottle. I did howerver catch my sister putting ATF in the master cylinder of her Bronco II, lasted about a day and then it turned it all into a gooey mess
                  Tom
                  80 Cherokee Laredo WT 360/TF727/NP208 , HEI, True Duals w/Cherry Bombs.

Comment

• vintagetrks
                    304 AMC
                    • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by drduckman
                    I have always used ATF in the power steering, I thought that most of that special marked power steering fluid was just for marketing ATF in a smaller bottle. I did howerver catch my sister putting ATF in the master cylinder of her Bronco II, lasted about a day and then it turned it all into a gooey mess
                    Ouch. I did that to a Gremlin when I was 14 and it ruined the brake system.
                    New Full Size Jeep Nut

My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

Comment

• drduckman
                      232 I6
                      • Dec 12, 2007

I had to replace not just the master cylinder, but all the wheel cylinders,flush the lines and replace the booster. I should have known from a girl who drove a VW bug with a leaking fuel pump for 3 months. Got to figure it was getting horrible mileage and the fuel was shooting out of it like a bad water pump.

Even my Dodge says to use Dexron II in the power steering
                      Tom

Comment

• vintagetrks
                        304 AMC
                        • May 01, 2009

I had to replace not just the master cylinder, but all the wheel cylinders,flush the lines and replace the booster. I should have known from a girl who drove a VW bug with a leaking fuel pump for 3 months. Got to figure it was getting horrible mileage and the fuel was shooting out of it like a bad water pump.

Even my Dodge says to use Dexron II in the power steering
                        Yeah when I was 14 I did'nt know anything about cars and the fluid looked the same so I figured what the heck. That was a big learning experience. It cost me $500 to have the system redone with all the parts and labor. Which was more than the car was worth.
                        New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• drduckman
                          232 I6
                          • Dec 12, 2007

I wanted a Gremlin cause it was a bigger car than mine, Chevette ouch!
                          I figured the jeep would take dex II in the PS since the tranny takes it as well as the transfer case.
                          Tom

Comment

• vintagetrks
                            304 AMC
                            • May 01, 2009

I wanted a Gremlin cause it was a bigger car than mine, Chevette ouch!
                            I figured the jeep would take dex II in the PS since the tranny takes it as well as the transfer case.
                            By the time I was 15 I had pulled the inline 6 out of the gremlin and had put a 304 in it man that car would smoke the right rear tire.
                            New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• BlacksheepGW
                              232 I6
                              • Mar 07, 2009

I've always used ATF in my power steering, used in on my 84 waggy, 96 XJ, and 98 TJ...

I my waggy!
                              1984 Grand Waggy
                              AMC 360
                              TF727
                              Soon to be NP208
                              31"s via BFH and Sawzall

Comment

Working...
                              X