• Show
Clear All
  • EasTXJEEPER
    232 I6
    • Jul 30, 2012

Aluminum Grill Shell Restoration

How to?
    Like it to look like NEW.
    Best way to remove scratched and sand pitted Anodizing before Polishing?
    1983 Cherokee Laredo
  • ProTouring442
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 15, 2011

Eastwood makes an anodizing remover. You can also use a ZEP product (acidic toilet bowl cleaner, I think). In either case, be careful as the product will also dissolve the aluminum if it is left on for too long.

After you remove the anodizing, you can polish then clear or re-anodize.
    You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• Probesport
      232 I6
      • Apr 15, 2015

Easy-off oven cleaner, in the yellow bottle that contains Lye is a great way to remove anodizing. I do it all the time on AN fittings to hide them a bit more.

Spray it on, let it sit for awhile but don't let it dry, and then just rinse off.

Here is a tech I did on that awhile back https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-showy.367777/
      Last edited by Probesport; 09-11-2018, 12:18 PM.
      Ken S.
      Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
      Megasquirt EFI
      : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
      Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
      Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• EasTXJEEPER
        232 I6
        • Jul 30, 2012

Isn't colored anodizing different than clear?
        I just finished sanding down a 83 Cherokee front bumper starting with 220 grit and lastly with wet 1000. Buffed it now to a absolute mirror finish. Now what options do I have to Preserve the shine beside polishing weekly by hand? Anybody tried 2 part paint system clear topcoat?

Comment

• 440sixpack
          327 Rambler
          • Jul 21, 2016

Yes colored anodizing is different than the bright coating on your grille. much different.

With the removers there is a fine line between removing the bright finish and destroying your grille. I'd practice on something you don't care about first.

I sent my razor grille and buckets off and had them restored and replated. it wasn't cheap but they're better than new.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
            304 AMC
            • Jul 25, 2016

probesport is correct
            EASYOFF is the way to go
            cheap and effective
            on removing all anodizing
            because i have done a few wagoneer grille surrounds and wagoneer alum bumpers, i sprayed on, waited 15 to 20 min
            used a steel wool soap pad and water to wash it off and then
            went from course to 2,000 grit
            then polished with mothers billet alum polish
            shines great, i just put a coat of light polish on it to preserve shine.
            in my opinion you run a great risk of clears giving trouble down the road.
            i think that if you even "half way" keep your vehicle looked after it will not need anything other than routine cleaning an maintenance to keep it shining.

dave in NC
            SOLSAKS - dave
            1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
            1982 J-10 Fleetside
            1988 grand wagoneer
            2004 RUBICON jeep
            Benson, NC

Comment

Working...
            X