I want a factory cruise control in a rig that didn't come with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geminiroq
    258 I6
    • Apr 06, 2007

I want a factory cruise control in a rig that didn't come with it.

Hey guys,

How hard is it to get a doner steering column with cruise control and swap it in a rig that does not have factory cruise control and have the cruise control funtional?

I would imagine that it can be done but how much labor and cost would it be involved.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thank you...
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

I used an after market set up on an old F250 back in the 90s it was kind of ugly but it worked. It paid for it self the first long trip!!
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• BigOrange401
      232 I6
      • Sep 07, 2009

J.C. Whitney sells cruise controls and they arent to expensive. I dont know what quality they are but could be worth a look.

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Originally posted by Geminiroq
        Hey guys,

How hard is it to get a doner steering column with cruise control and swap it in a rig that does not have factory cruise control and have the cruise control funtional?

I would imagine that it can be done but how much labor and cost would it be involved.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thank you...
        I would think if you can get all the components as well you are set. The year of your waggy will be of great help also... I have a fender thingy here but no column, or cables..
        Tom Gibson
        1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
        1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
        1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
        2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

I have a '79 cruise harness, no column or fenderwell unit.

If you really wanted to do it, it can be done, but why?

Using OLD OEM parts it likely won't even work, or crap out on you, or nickel and dime you to death on little parts.
          Not to mention sounds like you want to pay someone else to do it?

Just buy a universal kit if you want cruise, although in SoCal I can't see why.
          In 9+ years of driving, I haven't been able to use it once traffic never moves freely enough.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• brad_fsj10
            350 Buick
            • Nov 11, 2002

Originally posted by Geminiroq
            Hey guys,

To answer your question, it's VERY easy, and you don't have to remove the whole steering column if I remember correctly. I made the entire swap in about an hour (several years ago).

Just park the trucks side by side if you can, and start swapping components. The wire harness will snake inside the cab and replace part of the brake switch circuit. You can pull the steering wheel and replace the TS stalk with the cruise stalk, snaking the wires down through the column. The switch wires plug into the brake circuit and / or solenoid. Then just replace the speedo cable with the cables and box and route in the vacuum hose.

It's a really easy upgrade, and if it was working on the doner vehicle, and if the price was right, you should be good to go.
            Brad Smith
            79 J20
            360/NV4500
            D44/D60/3.31s
            past rigs -
            86 J10
            80 J10
            79 Chief

Comment

• SnowShoe
              350 Buick
              • Feb 24, 2008

I added factory CC to my 79 cherokee....it was very easy. I did purchase a used steering column with the cruise stauk allready in place and the 2 speedo cables, CC control unit, CC harness, and vacumn baffles put it all together and work 1st time out.

I have one issue to resolve however, While in cruise, if I turn on my right turn signal...the cruise turns off...I don't think it is suppose to do that...

I do a lot of highway driving and I really like having CC.

Comment

• Mikel
                • Aug 09, 2000

It's very easy. Just need different length sticks for the different speeds you want to go

1969 M715 6x6
                1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Chumley360
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 06, 2007

[quote=Mikel]It's very easy. Just need different length sticks for the different speeds you want to go ]

Man now that's high-tech...I'm still using numbered rocks
                  1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• DukeJeep
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 16, 2009

Originally posted by Mikel
                    It's very easy. Just need different length sticks for the different speeds you want to go

Thats AWESOME! LOL!!
                    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                    76k miles

Platinum Silver over Burgundy

In 1987, Road and Track called the Grand Wagoneer "one of the most capable off-roaders going" and "a first-rate off-roader and inclement weather vehicle AMC has honed close to perfection." It also called the interior "truly grand."

Comment

• SnowShoe
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 24, 2008

I wondered where my rocks were....

Comment

Working...
                      X