International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Introduce Yourself.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:26 PM
230 Tornado

1985 Jeep GW, my first

Hello all, I've been on the forum here for a while now and gotten some good tips and information already. Never officially said hello. I have little overall mechanical knowledge (Focker's a male nurse!) but can follow directions very well. I figured bodywork would be hardest for me to do and after going back and forth for years, I found a 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoner in Florida, had a mobile mechanic check it out, and his evaluation made me buy it. I had it shipped up here to Michigan just in time to put it in the garage for winter. I do not want our liberal salt to degrade it. One rust through spot on a rear quarter, but the underside looks cleaner than my 3 year old minivan. So far I have learned a lot. I TFI upgraded, replaced rear main seal, oil pan gasket, trans pan of course with filter and gasket (got to re-tap 4 holes to get it to tighten), removed all of the interior except the dash, got seat covers from BJs but had somebody sew carpet to match the ACC carpets I bought on the back of the vinyl seats because I love that tacky look, headlight harness upgraded, and am getting ready to swap to the abs plastic trim panels I got from forum member men in black. I am getting a quote on bodywork and a paint job. Haven't seen another gold/honey colored one in person before and thinking of keeping it the same even though I do love the navy and woodgrain look. Anyhow, enough talk. Thank you to all those who have done it before me and shared your knowledge. It is very much appreciated. Hopefully I can learn enough to share one day.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:48 PM
232 I6

Hey there. Would you mind posting pictures of those seat covers? I love the tacky carpet on them too.

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg
Old 04-09-2021, 06:54 AM
Señor Jackhead

Congrats! FL is pretty decent on rust issues unless you drive on the beach. Looks like there might be overload springs on the rear? Love the color. Wagoneers are happier if you bust them out of the wood crate (dump the wood grain) and never look back. We love pictures here. Please toss us more.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 04-12-2021, 04:29 PM
350 Buick

Love the stance! Welcome to the forum.... officially!

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
230 Tornado

More pics

Original:

It would have cost far too much for me to part with to have her wrap the carpet around the sides like the originals but the carpet is there.

I feel like Austin Powers Goldmember. "I like goooooooold!" Can't wait to see these cleaned and polished.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM
230 Tornado

Not sure about the springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Congrats! FL is pretty decent on rust issues unless you drive on the beach. Looks like there might be overload springs on the rear? Love the color. Wagoneers are happier if you bust them out of the wood crate (dump the wood grain) and never look back. We love pictures here. Please toss us more.

I'll have to look and get back to you on it. Not sure offhand about the springs. I had to google what they are. Has the hitch and some wiring for tow that I have to figure out so it may be a possibility.