Anyone have a picture of the Camper Special tire mount on the outside of the bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Julep4000
    232 I6
    • Jun 22, 2011

Anyone have a picture of the Camper Special tire mount on the outside of the bed?

Good evening,

After years of not being able to enjoy or work on my truck, I’m finally carving out some time. Woohoo!

Long to short... I have the spare tire mount that can go inside the bed or on the outside. It was mounted on the inside (without a spare tore attached) when I bought the truck and I removed it quite some time ago. Now I’m trying to mount it to the outside and cannot figure out how it goes.

Any chance someone had a photo of the mount on the outside of the bed? Preferably without the tire mounted on it ��

I know a couple folks have them and I’m hoping I can see how it goes. Fingers crossed. Thanks!
    '72 J4800
    360/TH400/D20
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

try parts manual on oljeep.com yet?

Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Julep4000
      232 I6
      • Jun 22, 2011

Appreciate the response and the picture you linked is exactly the mount I am talking about.

To give a little more information - I have the parts manual and it shows how the mount gets attached to the inside of the bed, but not the outside. I'm going to try to post a picture of that below. I have all of the parts in the diagram except the two I circled. I think that is the actual tire mount and I can sort that out after I figure out how to mount it to the truck:

Image 6087-E7-B5-FDA4-4210-967-D-7-E99-CC8-E378-F in Scsmith903's images album

There are two blemishes on the side of the bed where the four big holes are. I was guessing that grommets went in the two holes on the mount (you can see one of them in the parts diagram) and the mount would be flipped upside down from what the parts book picture is showing. Here is what I'm talking about with the bed:

Image 71-E2-E739-AF39-46-ED-AB8-A-CB259-C29-C04-D in Scsmith903's images album

The biggest bolts are the ones from the parts diagram with the sleeves, but the bolt head is smaller than the hole in the bed.

I can’t figure out the picture thing. I tried to post links as well as the image...
      Last edited by Julep4000; 04-09-2021, 06:17 AM.
      '72 J4800
      360/TH400/D20

Comment

Shoot kiserman a PM. I think I sent him one a few years ago..

IIRC the big piece stays as is on the inside, and the rest is just moved as is to the outside by turning horizontally 180*
        If you don't sandwich the bedside, the weight of the spare would rip out the box in short order.
        Last edited by goldhammer; 04-09-2021, 08:05 AM.
        Art
        ASE Master Collision Tech
        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Julep4000
          232 I6
          • Jun 22, 2011

That's not a bad idea. I'll give it a go and then shoot him a PM.

I think you are 100% correct. Moving that big mount to the outside wouldn't get the spare anywhere near where it is supposed to be. I think the big mount stays in the bed and the part(s) I'm missing go on the outside and attach with those big bolts with the spacers.

I'm going to try to mock up a block that functions out of wood and then see if I can find someone to fabricate it out of metal. I'm also going to look at the parts book a little more. There may be a whole other piece like the block I'm missing (8.350-4) that mounts to the outside. The one in the picture doesn't have holes in the back for the grommets that I think marked up the bed.

The piece is probably similar to this, but with a different bolt pattern for the lug spacing:

Thank you much!
          '72 J4800
          360/TH400/D20

Comment

It looks like the sleeves are to be used as standoffs between the bed and the two pieces you're missing. I wonder if the dimples are in line with the two holes in the backing plate, looks like they are. Could be that it is a rust issue from the inside. They might also be for a brace to the bottom of the two you don't have. Need to find a diagram of one mounted outside of the box.
            The tire mount plate in the diagram is probably for an 8 lug rim, since it shows 4 studs, and the nut shown is a lug nut.
            Last edited by goldhammer; 04-09-2021, 12:46 PM.
            Art
            ASE Master Collision Tech
            "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Julep4000
              232 I6
              • Jun 22, 2011

I agree. I sent KaiserMan a PM to see if he could snap a couple pictures. Thanks again for your help
              '72 J4800
              360/TH400/D20

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Just mentioning - I would advise against mounting the tire on the outside of the bed unless you also plan to add a slide-in camper. In my and many others experience with the CJs with a tire mounted like that, it's really easy to collide the tire with something out of view on the passenger side. Happens a lot. If you mount a slide-in, the camper will likely be close to as wide as the tire, and there's no added risk from the tire hanging off the truck. Also I would put the outside tire on the driver's side, except that it interferes with the gas filler neck I presume. Better to have the tire in close to where your spot mirror can see it well, than on the passenger side.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Julep4000
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 22, 2011

Those are all good points. It would interfere with the fill on the drivers side and I have an auxiliary tank in my bed which would be the bigger problem.

That said, I am in the process of putting west coast jr mirrors on. They stuck out further than I would like so I cut down the bottom arms. I'm just waiting for a British standard thread die to come in the mail so I can cut the threads. I thought the threads were 3/4", but I couldn't find a fine enough thread. I thought they might be M20-1, but after cutting the threads, they were just a hair too tall. So, I ordered a 3/4" die with 26 tpi. I didn't even know those threads even existed. lol
                  '72 J4800
                  360/TH400/D20

Comment

Working...
                  X