International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 09-04-2018, 06:40 AM
327 Rambler

Auto Transport- Lessons Learned

My 77 Cherokee arrived from Boulder safe and sound. Thought a few key points might be of some help to some of you in the future.

It's hard to avoid brokers unless you pay big bucks. My 1300 mile run cost $1100. If I hired Reliable or similar company the price doubled. That would be fine for the $100k Porche or Packard, but a little out of my budget.

The same truck and driver that picked up my Cherokee also delivered it. The Cherokee was never moved after it was loaded. This is not common, so I lucked out here.

I had the driver's number but was unable to reach him. I called the broker on Saturday, and it took them 18 hours to call me back. Just an answering service on weekends. That's BS in my opinion. The ONE THING that eases anxiety over something like this is good communications.

It turned out that my trucker was a night driver and was sleeping when I initially called. After reaching him we stayed in touch and everything went smooth.

My broker was United Routes. I picked them because they were up front about the broker details and were easy to reach and talk to by phone. The actual trucker was a local guy from Colorado Springs. The only complaint was weekend communications, which would not have been an issue if I had known the trucker was driving at night, sleeping during the day.

A road trip would only have saved about $200, plus two full days of time. And not risking the radiator and QT were worth the extra $200 (both need repair).

Old 09-04-2018, 01:16 PM
258 I6

10-4 good information.

glad your cherokee arrived safely.

good luck on your build.

dave in NC
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 PM
327 Rambler

Your experience is typical. and it's typical of trucking in general , communication is seldom great. it might be important to you but it's not to them, and half of them don't even speak English anymore.

It's not a perfect system but it works.