International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 09:28 AM
304 AMC

Change out the pipe covered in PB to a soda can. Poke a hole in each end and feed a wire through it. Drop the can down about 4-5 inches in the bucket and place a board above it so they have to jump down on the can. The can will roll super easy and having it lower means they have to jump on it from above. The pipe is narrow enough to where they could possibly walk it without making it roll. I have used a bucket trap like this in Oregon and it will catch them over and over. A friend in Oak Harbor caught 14 in one night. Clean up is nasty though. They all poop in a panic.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-18-2018, 09:33 AM
258 I6

on traps that they ate peanut butter off try this

use peanuts

cram a dry peanut into the metal bait holder
then hold a lighter to the nut

they cannot resist the burned or roasted peanut smell

and they have to work at it to get to the peanut
and that usually sets the trap off.

good luck with the invasion
dave in NC
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 07-18-2018, 10:06 AM
232 I6

3 down

Caught one more. No PB has been eaten off the traps inside the Jeep.

I'll rebuild the bucket trap when I have a chance. My thought is that the PB hasn't been disturbed on the "log roll" yet, so they're not venturing out to test their skills. Maybe I'll have a Pepsi Challenge and build a 2nd one with pop cans and see which one they like better. (Am I dating myself with a reference to the Pepsi Challenge? Yes, we say Pop here in Oregon, not soda.)

Instead of working on the Jeep, I moved a 26,000 lb press brake last night with a forklift that is supposed to only lift 8,700 lbs. and some skates. Fun!

Old 07-18-2018, 10:15 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
cram a dry peanut into the metal bait holder
then hold a lighter to the nut

Awesome idea, thanks.

I bought chunky. I have been trying to cram one chunk into the tab. Haven't thought to use a lighter yet. I'm waiting to get my yellow tab traps from Amazon, which I think will prevent them from stealing bait.

I'm hoping that I don't have a large infestation of mice. Once I have 21 traps set in all directions around the Jeep and no kills or bait stolen, I'll put the headliner back in.

While it's out, I've decided that now's the time to put in sound deadening and new insulation on the roof. As much as I just want to start driving so I can tune my transmission, I'd kick myself if I realized down the road that it's too loud and I need to pull the headliner to apply deadening. If you haven't seen this rig, I am putting in a 1989 Isuzu 4bd1t diesel, and I'm sure it's going to be louder than a purring V8. I also bought new carpet with "Mass Backing". In talking with other diesel Jeep folks, more is better. With it all out, it would be stupid not to now.

-Kevin
Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 AM
out of order

Used oil in a rectangular plastic bin works well ~8" high.

My dad left a few in the garage of their lake home from draining boat engines.

After he passed and I was cleaning the garage must have been a dozen mice in the things when I tried pouring it out to bring oil to the dump.
Was just NASTY! they were well preserved and didn't even stink lol.

I'd imagine they jump up/in to investigate and the oil made it too slippery to get out? Rather than used oil maybe cooking veggie(peanut?) oil would work the same.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:44 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Might as well put some Dynamat down before you put in the new super carpet. Will help some with noise and temp.

Doing good on catching the little buggers. They tore the h*ll out of my 81's interior.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:30 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
Used oil in a rectangular plastic bin works well ~8" high.

I think the mice and I disagree. I expect they would prefer the standard spring trap.
The generation of the past was appalled with the idea that the government would install a device inside the bodies of its people that would track their performance and influence their behavior, the generation of the near future will insist upon it.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:46 AM
232 I6

No activity inside Jeep.
Yesterday 1 kill, trap against the wall.
Today: PB eaten off two traps against wall.
I now have 2 buckets with 0 kills, 0 activity. (no PB disturbed).
4 kills total, all from metal tab traps against the wall.

Maybe I need to leave a trail of PB up the ramps to the buckets?

This is my new tool in the arsenal. "walk the plank" $14.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:54 AM
232 I6

I ordered $214 worth of Noico 80 mil butyl and 140 mil closed cell foam yesterday. Should be here Monday. 16 more yellow plastic tab trigger traps should show up today.

I want to create a boundary around the Jeep once I put that headliner back in.

-Kevin
Old 07-20-2018, 05:33 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Just remember to wear steel toed boots when getting in.........

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:00 PM
230 Tornado

Great post on headliner removal. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:21 AM
The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.

I left my 1984 Eagle Limited wagon sitting next to my parent's house for several years under a tarp.

When I uncovered it and opened the door I saw mouse poop literally everywhere. Inches deep. Inches. I saw five mouse bodies rotting into the carpet. Evidence of cannibalism. They were under the hood too. Got up into the dash.

I had to strip the entire interior down to the bare painted steel. Everywhere. Doors, dash, cargo area, carpet, seats.... Most of the original insulation had been chewed up so it all had to be replaced. I scooped/vacuumed up enough poop and nests to literally two full 5-gallon buckets. I used a shovel. Every tiny little part right down to the wiring harness and screws had to be scrubbed with brushes and Pine-Sol to clean, disinfect, and get rid of the smell. I REMOVED THE ENGINE and rebuilt it, taking the oppertunity to scrub and wash everything under the hood too.

It was like a nuclear disaster. It was as if the car had been exposed to radioactivity and required decontamination.

What bothers me is I know there is still some left. I know there are areas I could not reach and I'll still find a few turds here and there that rattle out of some place.

The smell is 95% gone. It smells like Pine-Sol and leather treatment now, but sometimes when it sits in the sun I still get a faint tinge of something else and I feel the disgust bubble up inside me. It will never fully go away.

The mice are beyond overpopulated here. They burrow into the ground and if you park your car anywhere outside that isn't the concrete driveway, they will move into your car in a matter of days and begin multiplying. They don't chew wires and hoses much, but they chew up all your insulation and poop EVERYWHERE. Then they run out of food and turn cannibalistic.

Just f*^ing nasty.

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.