X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kreter
    232 I6
    • Jul 10, 2014

Well, this little dime fell into my lap this week. 93, 4.0 auto. Runes great, has the common sheared motor mount bolt issue. Will switch the j10 and the yj in the shop this week to fix that and hopefully be back to working on the j10 next week.

Comment

• DieselSJ
      304 AMC
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Kreter
      I'm not doing a lift kit, I'm guessing they won't cost me any more than 20 bucks a set to have cut out, I can weld them up for a few bucks, or ship them to you in pieces. I'll get them designed and post some pictures. of what I have designed once I get this bloody front clip off.
      I'd be interested. I'm not totally happy with the AA mounts. The 6.5 engine mounts are quite a bit further forward than where the factory mounts are on the frame.
      -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
      -99 XJ Limited.
      -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
      -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• thechier86
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 16, 2009

Great yj, man! Looks like the rust is just on the surface... I love my baby jeep, I just hate that I have to have a tent if I want to go camping. Sleeping in the back of an fsj or xj is like a hotel room in comparison....
        As far as the motor mounts go, you say they mount a little bit forward of the stock location?
        Is it enough to throw off driveshaft lengths and transmission mount location? I don't mind fabrication to an extent, just need to know what to be prepared for....
        buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• DieselSJ
          304 AMC
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thechier86
          As far as the motor mounts go, you say they mount a little bit forward of the stock location?
          Is it enough to throw off driveshaft lengths and transmission mount location? I don't mind fabrication to an extent, just need to know what to be prepared for....
          Well, that is hard to say because there are so many different engine/transmission/tcase combinations. When I got my engine where I wanted it, then bolted up the 700R4 and tcase, I got lucky and the trans crossmember just happened to line up with the rear set of factory holes. With my combination and mounting location, the rear shaft had to be shortened and the front lengthened. If you are using a GM transmission, you should expect to relocate the trans crossmember and lengthen/shorten driveshafts.
          -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
          -99 XJ Limited.
          -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises

Comment

• thechier86
            327 Rambler
            • Mar 16, 2009

10-4. I was planning on a TH400, but didn't know what t case to use for driver drop, maybe a Ferd 208? Or maybe the stock 229, if it'll bolt up. I wasn't planning on much power, so I thought it would hold up if I could use it.

Comment

• DieselSJ
              304 AMC
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thechier86
              10-4. I was planning on a TH400, but didn't know what t case to use for driver drop, maybe a Ferd 208? Or maybe the stock 229, if it'll bolt up. I wasn't planning on much power, so I thought it would hold up if I could use it.
              If this is going to be street driven, seriously consider some type of overdrive transmission. For tcase, look at a 241 from a GM/Chevy and put it all together with factory GM parts and forget about aftermarket adapters for the stock tcase.
              -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• thechier86
                327 Rambler
                • Mar 16, 2009

Originally posted by DieselSJ
                If this is going to be street driven, seriously consider some type of overdrive transmission. For tcase, look at a 241 from a GM/Chevy and put it all together with factory GM parts and forget about aftermarket adapters for the stock tcase.
                Yeah, that sounds like the best way to go, really. I'm a little intimidated by the wiring to get an overdrive trans to work, but I wouldn't be opposed to a manual trans if it happened to come along. I haven't bought anything but the jeep yet, so I'm still in the infancy of the project. I'm following this build to see where it ends up, as well as considering other drivetrain that might be cheaper and or easier to make work. I just know I want a dependable fsj, and I'm not rich.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                  304 AMC
                  • May 19, 2003

A 700R4 is a single wire for the TC lockup. It is super easy.
                  -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• Kreter
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 10, 2014

If you use something newer like a 4l80e, a aftermarket controller is idiot proof I hear. That is the route I plan on taking.

As for the motor mounts, it looks like I'm gonna start tearing back into the truck the weekend after Thanksgiving. I want to do my best to do a bolt on mount, but worst comes to worse, they may end up like the LS series YJ mounts from Novak. The directions state how far from the front crossmember to weld the mounts. I welded mine in fully and never test fit the engine once, a leap of faith I know, but when i dropped the 5.3 in, it was perfect.

Comment

• thechier86
                      327 Rambler
                      • Mar 16, 2009

That sounds great! I can't wait to see how your mounts turn out! I bought my 1 ton 6.2 stuff, I just need to pick it up. This is going to be the coolest vehicle I've built so far...

Comment

• thechier86
                        327 Rambler
                        • Mar 16, 2009

Any progress on this? I won't be able to start on mine until after Christmas...

Comment

• Ronaldwag
                          230 Tornado
                          • Aug 11, 2016

J10 Chevy 6 2 Swap

Hey chvlfrk, I thought you were THE chevy guy. A 302 was a 327 with a 283 crank, in 67 it was exactly that. In 68 and 69 they had their own blocks and cranks. A 283 with a 327 crank is a 307.
                          Chevy didnt make powerglides in 76 and it is a very unlikely swap. Most likley a th350.
                          th350 pan is square with a dog earred corner. th400 is shaped like the state of texas, streached a little from top to bottom.
                          Ill give you any help you need as long as it not concerning defiling a Ford.
                          Read more

Comment

Working...
                          X