• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike D
    350 Buick
    • Jul 29, 2002

not quite performance ...

Im wondering what is more cost effective to get a real quiet exhaust ...

using two mufflers in series on a pipe or muffler then glasspack ...

and sure .. i understand that the fan noise --- is kinda noisy, (and the rattle of the back seat hi hi)
    64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
    50 truck
    63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
    And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Cost effective is prolly take good measurements regarding how much room you have to mount a muffler then input/output pipe size and orientation then give the parts guy the specs to search his 'paper' parts books for a stock muff from some V8 luxo cruiser or SUV.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• pass45
      232 I6
      • Apr 20, 2008

Magnaflow makes a big 3in that is really quiet until you get on it than its not guiet at all
      gm 5.3 4l80blackboxnp205 dana 60 yukon zip locker 14 bolt 37/12.5/17 km2s or 39.5 irocks h1 beadlocks= one big money pit

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

Walker QuietFlow SS. If your tailpipe is sized right, you won't notice any more restriction with it over a straight through muffler like Magnaflow. Plus, they're stainless, so they won't rust out on you.

I have one, and it still has some V8 sound. Typical sound for any V8 vehicle I've heard, even modern ones. Want to get any quieter than that and you'll have to really work for it.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Mike D
          350 Buick
          • Jul 29, 2002

Id like to be like a Toyota rav4 .. we have a 2008 and at idle you cant hardly hear it ...
          64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
          50 truck
          63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
          And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• FSJunkie
            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
            • Jan 09, 2011

Exhaust routing, how it's mounted, and the idle speed play big parts as well.

The farther you can get the tailpipe outlet away from you, the better sealed the system is, and the thicker the rubber hangers isolating the pipe's vibration from the car, the quieter it'll be inside with the same outside noise.

Higher idle speeds tend to make more noise because of vibration. I set my idle at 650 in gear because that's specification, and the alternator needs the RPM. If I crank it down to 500, it's so smooth and quiet inside that I have to jab the throttle to tell it's running. Even outside, unless I'm near the tailpipe, all I hear is a gentle mechanical whirring under the hood that is barely audible. Different cars will have different harmonics and will be quieter at different idle speeds.

You should hear a rattle-free unibody Rambler with a 327 idling at 450...that's spec. It'll go lower than that. So low, that you can see the fan jerk as each cylinder fires. poof....poof...poof... Continental flathead I8's are super quiet as well.
            Last edited by FSJunkie; 11-02-2013, 06:58 PM.
            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Working...
            X