• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billygoat
    304 AMC
    • Mar 16, 2004

Rear Wheel Bearing replacment How To

I had to replace my rear wheel bearings in Gonzo, so I thought I would try to do a write up for others. Shown is a model 20 rear end, dana 44 axle is the same parts, just different sizes.

Keep in mind that the axle is held in by the bearing retainer plate and if the bearing fails catastrophically then the axle (along with the wheel) can leave the vehicle; this has happened to a few forum members. If you are unsure if you have a bearing going bad you should inspect them, and you should repack the bearings with grease ? how often depends on use.

A growling noise when you drive is a good indicator of a bad bearing, also when the truck is jacked up check for play at the rear wheel, just a little in/out is ok, about enough just to feel, any more or side to side and you need to replace the bearing.

You can get the bearing kit and seal from a parts store, but the retaining plates are hard to find?.BJ?s sells a complete kit, and at a great price, that is where I got mine.

It is a pretty basic process to remove the bearing for inspection/replacement.
    Jack up the truck, support on jack stands, remove the wheel, then the brake drum.
    My pass side drum was rust froze to the center hub, I hit it with some PB blaster and a few whacks with the hammer and it popped off. If your shoes hang up you may need to back them off manually.
    There is an oval hole on the back of the drum ? you may have to knock out a steel plug, it is the rearmost plug (the backing plate is for either side) inside the hole you see a star wheel ? from the back up is tighter down is losser.

Once you get the drum off you see this

Then pencil is pointing out the access holes that you use to get to the nuts.
    On the Model 20 you can leave the brake parts in place, I took them out thinking they would help with the pictures, and my retaining pin was broken anyway.

The shaft will probably not want to come right out, try hitting the back of the hub with a dead blow or prying on it with a block across the shoes.

One the shaft is out you see this:

A = Lock Ring
    B = Inner Race/cone
    C = Outer Seal
    D = Retaining Plate.

Left in the Axle Tube is:

A = Outer Race
    B = Inner Seal

At this point check the rollers and the outer race for pits, groves and other sings of wear.
    If everything looks ok, you can repack the bearing with grease and put it back together.
    If not you will need a couple special tools to go farther, or call some shops and get prices on the labor to remove the old bearing and press on the new one.

Here is how I take the old stuff off ? I call it the old farmer method and it does involve some risk ? others may have suggestions on a different method. I take no responsibility for anyone?s actions attempting to follow this procedure and resulting in damage to themselves or there vehicle.

First push the seal and retaining plate back to the hub then use an air cutting wheel to cut thru the outer race retainer and roller cage.

Then you can pry them open and remove them.
    Now if this is the first time you try this, wrap duct tape on the shaft surfaces to protect it from nicks. Cut the lock ring until it there is about 1/16? thickness left ? both mine snapped at this point ? if not use the same method as the inner race.

Then cut the inner race until there is about 1/16? left ? BE CAREFULL it buts up to the seal area and any nicks will result in a less ideal seal surface. Then support the inner race on a solid surface, and put a chisel in the cut, a couple whacks with a hammer and it will split the rest of the way through, then it can be easily slid off.
    Save the inner race ? the seal and retaining plate can now be removed, and clean the shaft up. You might be able to use a right angle grinder with cut off wheel instead of an air cut off tool, but I don?t recommend it, they are to large (less precise) and harder to control increasing the chance of damage.

Slide the retaining plate on then the new outer seal ? with the metal face toward the hub.
    Then slide the bearing up to the bearing area ? be sure to have it the correct way with the outer race lock ring toward the hub face, then slide on the old inner race and put in a press ? the other special tool you need ? I would not try this with out a press.
    Using the old inner race guarantees that you are putting pressure on the new inner race, put pressure on the outer race and you will destroy the new bearing...

Then slice on the bearing retaining collar and again use the old inner race as a driver in the press. Do not try to press them both on at the same time ? it will not work.

The outer race is slip fit in the housing ? on the outer race lock ring that stays on the inner race/cone assembly is press fit; otherwise you would never get it apart.
    There may be some rust right on the outer edge that fights you on sliding the race out, hit it with some emery paper, a slide hammer may help, I use a small pry bar.

Use a small ended drift to drive into the edge of the inner seal, it will deform, tip and can be pulled out easily.

There is a lot of debate on if you need/want the inner seal, even among the engineers and some years didn?t have them, I think you should use them, so after you wipe all the old grease out you can tap the new seal in, - be sure to coat the inside of the seal with grease - a wood dowel works well, I use a wide face drift, keep it to the outside edge, moving in a circular motion as you tap it, to much force and you will ruin it.

When I say tap I mean tap, this is how I hold the hammer and the distance I stroke it from the drift end.

Pack the bearing with grease, but sure to coat seal with grease too.

Slide the assembly back in, torque the bolts to ____ft/lb in a criss cross pattern.

Put the break drum and wheel back on ? adjust you brakes up if you need to and you are done!
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Nice Work! Thanks!
    This project for a Dana 44 rear axle is identical except that some D44s do not use the inner seal. I broke down and bought a slide hammer for pulling the axle shaft.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• The Colonel
      360 AMC
      • Feb 21, 2010

Nice write-up

Yes, the Dana 44's without the inner seal are lubricated by the gear oil and not greased.

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

I bought the last two model 20 shafts BJ's had for my old waggy. Previous owner scarred the shafts bad when he cut off the old retaining ring and bearings. He never drove it again because of the grease and oil running out onto his brakes shoes.

Nice write up and pics.

For those of you not using the inner seal remmeber to pack your bearings when you replace them. otherwise they will run dry until the axle oil gets to them.
        Tom Gibson
        1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
        1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
        1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
        2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• Dirt Wag
          258 I6
          • Jun 24, 2008

Nice write up! Thank you. This will come in handy next week when we plan to do a rear disc conversion. Might as well do the bearings/seals too since one side is leaking.
          1985 GW, 360, 727, NP229, D44, AMC20, HEI, SOA/shackle flip 7" lift, Quick Lok locker rear, Aussie Locker front, 4.10 gears, 37 X 13.5 Interco SS-M16's, Warn Premium hubs, Tuff Stuff 12,000 LB winch, rear disc brakes === stripped down street legal off road toy

Comment

• Billygoat
            304 AMC
            • Mar 16, 2004

Originally posted by HOOT
            Previous owner scarred the shafts bad when he cut off the old retaining ring and bearings. He never drove it again because of the grease and oil running out onto his brakes shoes.
            That is the risk when you cut the old stuff off, I am waiting to see if someone has another method to remove them... I have a bearing remover, but with the hub on 1 side and the length of shaft on the other can not figure out how to pull or push on it.

Comment

• The Colonel
              360 AMC
              • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by Billygoat
              That is the risk when you cut the old stuff off, I am waiting to see if someone has another method to remove them... I have a bearing remover, but with the hub on 1 side and the length of shaft on the other can not figure out how to pull or push on it.
              The Dana 44 service manual says to drill a hole in the retainer (don't drill too deep and hit the axle) and then cold crack it with a chisel.

Comment

• KJ Ryu
                350 Buick
                • Sep 06, 2008

It wouldn't be very cheap but a good carbide end-mill should cut through it like butter, if you have a mill or good drill press.
                Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
                1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
                1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
                1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Originally posted by Mars
                One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil

Comment

• swampedge
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 07, 2007

The easiest way to do it at home is to take a piece of pipe and weld a plate on one end with a hole in the middle big enough for the axle to pass through and 1" nut welded to the other. Drill holes in the plate to attach to a bearing splitter. Now put bearing splitter on to axle, slide this neat tool you just made over the axle shaft and bolt it to the splitter. Impact wrench on bolt threaded through the nut you welded to the other end of your tool and crank on it. It will take the bearing off most of the time. Easy!
                  1970 Gladiator. Gen V 5.3. 8L90E.

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

Comment

• letank
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jun 03, 2002

BTT,

thank you, the local guy passed away, so I am going to have to do it myself...

and need to figure out how to get the right size for the dana 44
                    Last edited by letank; 04-16-2019, 10:30 AM.
                    Michel
                    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                      • Jan 09, 2011

Some Dana 44's use an inner wheel bearing seal. Mine did. Early production, I suppose. The outer seal is a different style too. It's interesting that the original D44 and M20 bearings were tapered roller but the new replacements are not.

This Jeep M20 wheel bearing design is totally different from the wheel bearing design on AMC car M20 which uses two piece axles with a removable hub.
                      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Tanker
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 04, 2005

Just to add BetterScoutParts sells a heavy duty retaining plate. As for greasing the bearings I've heard that some people have drill an taped between the seals. One tap was at the 1000 clock the other opposite,one got a grease nipple the other a plug. Just a thought to look up.
                        Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
                        Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• letank
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jun 03, 2002

Went to the better parts place that has a in-house machine shop... well it is a repair shop. The counter guy which has been there for over 25 years, punched his computer for specs, he had the parts, the new part has a built in race. Picked up the axle latter and could specs my removed race to the new all inclusive bearing unit, it specs perfect, no problem sliding the axle back, yes it is tight. Noise seems to be gone.

Forgot to say that it is a Dana 44 on an 86, and yes the outer bearing, no inner seal, and removing the race was a bit challenging, at some point you are wedging the seal remover tool on the opposite side for the race, so I laid a wrench on the hub to allow the race to move freely when it is slipped out

Also, I did not need to remove the brake shoes and brake hardware

thank you for the knowledge
                          Last edited by letank; 04-18-2019, 09:12 AM.
                          Michel
                          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                          X