• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HD_JEEP
    350 Buick
    • Oct 28, 2008

Venting to hood?

I was wanting to vent my hood to let the heat out. I was wondering if any of you have vented your hoods and with what type of vents did you use? I have seem some different after market vents. I still want it to look good but keep it cooler in the summer .

Pics of course would be nice.

I don't really just want to drill or cut different size holes in my hood either.
    91 Grand Wagoneer "Final Edition"
    DeWooded
    6 inch Hellcreek lift.
    Rhino Grill
    BFGoodrich MT T/A KM2 33X10.5. R15
    Offenhauser Dual Port 360 Intake
    Holley 600cfm

If are not living on the Edge you are taking up to much room.
    ##########
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3172261
  • Logs0012
    258 I6
    • Apr 02, 2008

About a year ago I purchased what seemd to be a solid 82 Wag, upon further inspection and knocking the mud/dust off of her I found that she's pretty rusted from the top to the bottom, ie: roof, panels, floor boards etc. Seeing that she won't be my DD I figured I would chop the top and use the good metal to patch the floor
    Thanks and Gig 'Em
    Lincoln Tucker
    Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

[email protected]

1970 J-2000, 4bt, NV4500, NP208 - Back on the road!

Coffee, Whiskey and Women... Always straight

Comment

• Chumley360
      350 Buick
      • Sep 06, 2007

I've seen guys use Z24 Cavalier and Lebaron (K-car) hood vents on lots of different cars and trucks, I think they look good. Also the Gran Prix GTP hood vents could look cool if done right.
      1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• Songman
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 25, 2008

I'm thinking something like this. I've got this set already that I might play with.

These are from a 3rd Gen Trans Am. The Pontiac Sunbirds of the same era had the exact same shape except the vents were reversed, if you would rather have them angled the other direction. We used these a lot on Pontiac Fieros to vent the radiator through the hood since the engine was in the back.

We also used the 3rd Gen side vents on the fenders. These could be molded in sideways out on the sides of the hood and look pretty good. Wouldn't vent as much though.

There are tons of cars in junkyard that we could pull from. No sense in making anything new. If I were going to do a cowl hood type thing I would just cut along the sides of the raised part of the hood and make it taller. Air in the front. Air out the rear. Or you could also put come vents down the side.
        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
        1979 Jeep J-10 Pickup
        1963 Jeep J300 Gladiator

Comment

• fulsizjeep
          Señor Jackhead
          • Aug 21, 2002

instead of venting, ice blocks maybe?

Flint
          Ran when parked.
          http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
          76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
          http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
            instead of venting, ice blocks maybe?

haha best idea I ever had! :P
            1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
            1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
            The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Songman
              327 Rambler
              • Jan 25, 2008

I was going to do just the opposite on my bus. I was going to install a metal box back there to use the engine heat like an oven. 300 miles and the turkey will be ready! Manifold meat!
              1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
              1979 Jeep J-10 Pickup
              1963 Jeep J300 Gladiator

Comment

• bigun
                • Feb 10, 2003

Chrysler La Baron Turbo hood vents.You can also look at what the member from Pakistan did.
                charlie
                KB0HXA
                "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                Robert A. Heinlein
                The birth of CROM is recorded here
                http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Kooldaddy01
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 05, 2007

Gen-Rite Offroad hood vents on mine. Tried to upload pics but it says the files are too big.
                  Mark
                  3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead....

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

I'd like to see that Mark. Get a photobucket account. It's free.

Vaporlock can be a mean adversary out here. I want to punch holes in mine. Kind of like Ryan's Chief, like about 6 holes on each side.

Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Tad
                      • Nov 30, 2001

Cutting out the rear most 6-8" of the lip on the hood helps alot.

And then Ryanizing the hood.

I had some huge holes at one point with mesh welded in but the right side drained water onto my TPS.

2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• L98Waggy
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 08, 2009

I actually found vented side panels from an old lawn mower a buddy was scrapping. Cut them out and welded them in the rear corners. Looks like it coulda been factory. Will post pics if it stops raining.
                        God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl,courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep tire side down.

Comment

• scantar
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jul 16, 2005

Easiest, quickest, most non-intrusive fix I ever saw (and did on a couple Jeeps too ) was just bend/hammer the lip along the side of the hood that fills the gap between the top of the fender and the hood. Pair of vice grips, a dead blow hammer and 10 minutes is all you need...and the heat that comes out of that gap is huge especially along the passenger side!

Steve
                          '76 Waggy, TH400, Quadratrac and a fourOH!one Sold

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL

Comment

• Songman
                            327 Rambler
                            • Jan 25, 2008

Is it still legal to run without a hood? We used to do that in our old hot rod days. Why build all that pretty stuff under the hood and not show it off! haha

I remember once I had a buddy come down from a neighboring town about 30 miles away to cruise with me on Friday night and I was going to go to his town on Saturday night. I had just finished building my Roadrunner so it was all shiny under the hood. I had the hood off on Friday night and we just sat it on there to take the short drive to his town. It felt pretty solid and we didn't have but about 30 miles to go. All was fine until I hit that big pothole. The impact combined with the wind broke the front latch and sent that hood flying about 30 feet into the air! It stayed airborne so long that I was pulled over and watching by the time it hit the ground behind me... Right on the leading edge! Bent it right in half. Haven't been hoodless since! haha
                            1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                            1979 Jeep J-10 Pickup
                            1963 Jeep J300 Gladiator

Comment

• []V[]AXX
                              350 Buick
                              • Nov 10, 2009

Look, if you want a selection of vents, go to any ricer website or hit a Pep boys. There's some really goofy, stupid looking vents out there, but there are also many to choose from.

Comment

Working...
                              X