• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KBWoodwgn
    232 I6
    • Jun 04, 2001

Exhaust smell?

Ok guys here I am with another round of questions...
    First off, I get a strong smell of exhaust inside the truck, especially at when at a light or something. Is this because of the design of the truck? Might I have an exhaust leak? BOTH? The truck passed VA emissions so I was ruling out the leak theory, but maybe I need to re-visit. I am also thinking that the truck is running rich because the exhaust smells so strong. If it's the design of the truck is there anything I can do? I have seen trucks with the silver awning things on the windows does that help? Or the rear spoiler(if you call it that)does that help? What can I do?
    kb
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer<br />TFI Upgrade<br />Replacement floor<br />30\" Bridgeston Dueller AT Revos<br /><br />2003 Honda Odyssey<br />Family hauler
  • jharte
    232 I6
    • Nov 09, 2000

KBWoodwgn,
    The rear deflector helps keep exhaust fumes from entering your vehicle (if the back window is down) while you drive by "washing" the rear window with air. It forces air downward across the space. It also keeps the rear window cleaner(if the window is up). Our vehicles (Cheros and Wags) seem to create a natural vacuum due to it's shape. The rear deflector has a function...if you can get past the look!
    Jerry H.<BR>91 Grand Wag.<BR>The American Legend...

Comment

• Veepster
      350 Buick
      • May 14, 2000

if your exhaust pipe exits in the stock location you should not have exhaust fumes in the vehicle if the rear window is up....I would look for leaks....Carbon Momoxide is very dangerous, and we would like you to be around this board for a while!
      Peace.............BartG<br /><br />The Green Flash!<br /><br />360ci Custom 4v TBI<br />TH400, Parttime QT with low, TFI Upgrade<br />Edelbrock Performer Manifold,<br />4\" skyjacker susp & 3\" body lift<br />Rancho 9000\'s 33x12.50 BFG KO\'s <br />8\" American Racing Baja Rims<br />Thorley headers, 3\" exh, Dyno Max<br />Infiniti power leather seats<br />Billet shift knob by Millerluck<br />50%Luxury Car 50%Tractor<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamgodspeed.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.teamgodspeed.com</a>

Comment

• KBWoodwgn
        232 I6
        • Jun 04, 2001

exhaust is stock, don't have the rear deflector so that could be the issue right there. I don't think they look bad? How much do they usually go for? Any chance the truck could pass emissions with a real exhaust leak? If this is a cheap fix it may keep me on the board as a jeep owner not a "wish I had a jeep". I've got some issues to fix on the jeep before Mrs Woodwgn will be comfy with it. And she's about fed up
        kb
        1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer<br />TFI Upgrade<br />Replacement floor<br />30\" Bridgeston Dueller AT Revos<br /><br />2003 Honda Odyssey<br />Family hauler

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
          350 Buick
          • Jul 03, 2000

Do you have floor holes??

Do you have oil leaking from valve covers to exhaust manifolds? or leaking and hitting exahust crossover pipe?

Sometimes some of the hot noxious vapors are these other things too not just exhaust.

The rear spoiler does nothing when you arent moving.. They also suggest that you drive with the rear window up dont they?

I notice the smell if I have my rear glass down. (which I never do cause I have the tracks and guts out of it at the moment so the only safe place for the glass is tight up in the upper tracks.)

Is the access cover to your fuel sender/pickup attached?? thats another spot where fumes can get in. And or gas smell.

If your like me you have holes in the right rear lower fender.. (right near the exhaust).. People put rags in there by the jacks and they hold moisture and rot right thru the fender.. (luckily there is often times a good constant supply of moisture to those rags provided by leaky roofs/ roofrack mounts, and window rubbers)

Just some things to look at.
          88 Rusting mound
          79 Rusting mound

Comment

• KBWoodwgn
            232 I6
            • Jun 04, 2001

OH MY,
            I have oil leaks everywhere! I don't think I have holes in the back of the truck unless there are drain holes....I know I don't have rust there, My rust issues are on the front passenger side floor. The cover for the sending unit is not sealed down tight(I think it has one screw in it should have 3 or 4?) I do get most of the stink when sitting at a light. It probably doesn't help the smell inside that the PO spilled a lot of Oil on the drivers side floor(No rust there though And My glass is also up tight with a chunk of wood until I get a new center channel. I will close up that sending unit panel that's easy. The oil leaks, hmm that's gonna cost me some loot. The floor I have a plan just haven't gotten to it yet.

Is there a quick test to check for exhaust leaks. for some reason I think if it leaks it's near the front....

Comment

• KBWoodwgn
              232 I6
              • Jun 04, 2001

of course that is if there is one It could be everything Clarkgriswald said...

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
                350 Buick
                • Jul 03, 2000

Is there a quick test to check for exhaust leaks. for some reason I think if it leaks it's near the front....

Hehehe. that got me laughing.. I can think of a few ways to check but none of them are easy but both are funny hahhaha.. One is a really twisted plan that involves a potato, but seriously. Well not so seriously the other one is driving it into a lake or stream and swimming down there and looking for bubbles. hahahhaha..
                88 Rusting mound
                79 Rusting mound

Comment

• DerJeep
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 31, 2000

KB,

I had the same problem before replacing the cat and leaning it out. Still passed emissions with the old cat, but was partly clogged.

Fancy seeing another Herndonite on the site. If you ever feel down about your Wag, come take a look at mine, it'll make you feel better [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  1979 Wagoneer LTD 360/400TH/QT/44s
                  Modest lift w/31" BFG ATs

Comment

• KBWoodwgn
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 04, 2001

DerJeep,
                    Glad to know there's someone else around town. I know there are a few wag's running around in this land of new cars...Did you do the new Cat yourself or did you have it done somewhere?

Comment

• KBWoodwgn
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 04, 2001

Well not so seriously the other one is driving it into a lake or stream

Don't tempt MRS Woodwgn like that [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

• DerJeep
                        258 I6
                        • Oct 31, 2000

It was under warranty from Midas. Father had the Jeep before me, so Exhaust and brakes are covered.

If it weren't, I would have done it myself.

Also, I have passed the VA emissions test with a minor leak in the air injection tubes. Used to get an exhaust smell from that.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: DerJeep ]
                        1979 Wagoneer LTD 360/400TH/QT/44s
                        Modest lift w/31" BFG ATs

Comment

• Dr Gonzo
                          232 I6
                          • Dec 07, 2000

It sounds like something that I went through with the Beast. Right after I bought it, it needed to pass VA emissions and I took it to Mineke to check out the exhaust situation. They fixed it up with a new catalytic converter, it passed emissions. A year later, after some repairs at the shop, the mechanic suggested that the converter might need to be replaced again. Why? It turns out that the carburetor was malfunctioning and the Beast was running to rich. (If I started it in the driveway, I was afraid that it would kill the grass on the side. I was afraid to start it around the elderly and the young. Thank God I didn't have any pet canaries... It stunk!) Anyway, some friends and I replaced the carburetor and it has helped the smell immensely. If it is leaking into the interior, by all means, take care of it. But if it is just a matter of too much smell, exhaust, check the carburetor

Comment

• Dr Gonzo
                            232 I6
                            • Dec 07, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KBWoodwgn:
                            Glad to know there's someone else around town. I know there are a few wag's running around in this land of new cars...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew that I wasn't alone up here. I mean, I see FSJs every couple of days, but I didn't know if any were on the board.

Comment

• David Simon
                              258 I6
                              • Dec 03, 2000

KB, do you still have an air pump?
                              When I first got my 88 I smelled exhaust also. The PO had removed the air pump (the thing next to the power steering pump) but hadn't plugged the tube that goes down to catalytic converter. So I plugged that and still smelled it. Then I found a hole where the tube had been rubbing the crossmember. It was also leaking from the small tubes attached to the exhaust manifold, the PO had cut and crimped those.
                              I had a friend weld the small tubes and I scrapped the exhaust and put a new one on, see sig. I'm leak free now, exhaust anyway.
                              Fix it soon because CO can accumulate in your body over a period of time.
                              Good luck.
                              David
                              88 GW<br />NP229/TF727/D44s <br />TFI Upgrade<br />Free-flow cat, Flowmaster 70, 2 1/2\" exhaust<br />See my Jeeps at: <a href=\"http://home.att.net/~simon3494\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.att.net/~simon3494</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X