• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lake Ripley
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 21, 2015

fuel injection stock fuel tank

I just purchased a 1976 Cherokee Chief with a 360. I am planning on making it my daily driver. The fuel tank is full of gunk and leaks as well. So I would like to replace suspension and install a new fuel tank. I also want to have fuel injection installed. Other than pavement this Chief will only see mild trails of dirt and gravel roads at most. I talked to one of the venders and he said stock tanks are not baffled so I should upgrade to a tank with baffles. They are currently working on this tank for early Cherokees. He said without baffles fuel delivery would be compromised in the last 1/3 of tank. Makes sense to me. I only found one thread by TexasJ10 that talks about this.

So my question is: For my build and application is that issue something that I need to be concerned with or does the problem only arise in heavy 4 wheeling? Simply stated, Can I get by with a stock tank replacement and run fuel injection?

BACKGROUND: My mechanical experience is still in the shallow end of the pool. I am comfortable with the suspension replacement and would be willing to replace the stock fuel tank. The fuel injection I would hire done. If a different tank needs to be installed with new mounting hardware, new lines and hookup I am getting past my comfort zone.

Thank you for your input.
    Happy 4th to all and hope you get some quality jeep time!
    '78 sunshine yellow J10
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Based on your usage description I would just use the stock tank.

Just make sure the stock fuel pickup is in good condition and the pickup sock is still intact/installed.

You could also switch to a more modern tank, several people have used an S10 tank, or an XJ tank with an in tank pump. You obviously lose the spare tire spot under the truck this way.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Lake Ripley
      230 Tornado
      • Dec 21, 2015

Thank you. Obviously I need to educate myself more on the system in general, but I appreciate your input.
      '78 sunshine yellow J10

Comment

• 80Limited
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2015

Has any one tried that Holley fuel mat? That might be the way to go with a stock tank.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by 80Limited
          Has any one tried that Holley fuel mat? That might be the way to go with a stock tank.
          Unlikely SJ folks seem rather cheap. Not to mention '80-up poly tanks kinda useless for magnetic fuel mat.

For price of a one of those mats, can probably upgrade to a newer late model rear mount tank w/in tank pump.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Mr. Wilson
            230 Tornado
            • Feb 23, 2016

I just did the tbi conversion with stock tank in a 76 Wag and I have no troubles. It's mainly on road use, but a little pasture/creek driving. I did have to run a new return line as the original return would not flow enough to keep the return pressure low. I would keep the stock tank.
            76 Wagoneer 360/T400/QT
            69 F100 SWB 390/5 speed

Comment

Working...
            X