X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blazer3664
    350 Buick
    • Mar 08, 2009

30 spline stub shafts and the (locking) hubs for sure would be the weak links in a 60 front. Never seen one killed in person, but I have heard stories. I have every intention of trying when I get the Chief on the trail with a 60 under the front though.

I have seen a couple D- 44's kill the stub and spindle when a hub let go under power, I dont know if the same can happen with a D-60 or not. From what I hear good spicer U-joint will hold longer than the (factory) stub if it is properly maintained and changed out regularly.

Jim
    modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
    LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
    H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
    custom shackle flip
    W/F150 springs
    -----Coming Soon-----
    snorkels,
    OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• Tigger4X
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 16, 2001

I have run quite a few components from NorthWest Fab and have always had and heard great results. Check there 35 spline syuff here ~~~> http://northwestfab.com/axleshafts.html
      Originally posted by will e
      Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
      Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

Originally posted by novacayne75
        looks like 35 spline outers and drive flanges will be in order when they go boom.
        this is what I went with. the problem with the original 30 spliners are that they don't always break as expected. most break along the shaft like a hot dog and take out the hubs. I swithched chromoly 35 spline shaft and slugs. never have had an issue.
        Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
        I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
        Originally posted by johnny019
        I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 18, 2003

As popular as the ford HP 60 is, there sure is a severe shortage of 35 spline stubs for them. I dont get it. I know there is a slight length diffrence, but hardly anyone makes them.

I was playing around with the disassembled parts of my HP 60 and had a blowed out set of spider gears for the rear 44 of my cherokee. The stubs slid right in like they were made for them. So the outer stub splines are the same size as a 44. But from the splines to the yoke its way bigger.
          79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
          Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
          93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• jeeping1974
            360 AMC
            • Jun 17, 2007

I've seen guys break u-joints and snap shafts up here in New England. Most of the time it has been when they get their tires caught in between some rocks. Only once have a seen a guy take out a stub shaft on a full throttle hill climb.

As long as you drive with some kind of sence, you should be fine. The 35spline outer upgrade is very nice though!
            03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
            06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• jtr
              258 I6
              • Oct 25, 2005

I have not a broken a stub but I broke the ears off both inner and out at the same time, NOT a 30 spline issue or a weak lockout.
              Jeep is gone ~~ Ranger cab truck in the works
              393W/C6/203-205, HP60, 14B, 12 bolt H1s, 40" Pitbull Rockers, full hydro, 4 link rear

Build = http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973973

Comment

• novacayne75
                258 I6
                • Dec 28, 2008

Originally posted by jtr
                I have not a broken a stub but I broke the ears off both inner and out at the same time, NOT a 30 spline issue or a weak lockout.
                how did you manage that? with your location you must have been in low-low and wedged a tire in the rocks.
                78 j-truggy d60/14b,42's,tbi.
                97 zj long armed and locked on 35's
                03 quad cab 3500 ctd tow pig.

Comment

• jtr
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 25, 2005

205 in low, front dig, and it popped. I had done some full throttle 3 wheel climbs earlier that day that some claimed I landed "hard" on that tire/axle side. Don't know but they were original shafts with new Spicer joints.
                  Jeep is gone ~~ Ranger cab truck in the works
                  393W/C6/203-205, HP60, 14B, 12 bolt H1s, 40" Pitbull Rockers, full hydro, 4 link rear

Build = http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973973

Comment

Working...
                  X